oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

41 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Every year it’s another bloody clear out I presume it will be the same this year. Then we’ll change the type of manager we have, he’ll want different players and the whole cycle will start again. 
I’m really not fascinated by it, not with out recruitment.
We’ll be signing has beens and unproven players. There is no plan in place, we need a proper chairman with a decent methodology in place. 

It was hardly a massive change last summer. We signed 3 league 1 players and the first team squad hasn't changed that much. This summer however we are finally rid of the high earners that didn't really offer much on the pitch. There are some serious wages going out of the club. A perfect opportunity to build a balanced squad - but how many times have we said that over the years.

• Like 2
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

But even if Warnock stays then all we are going to do is build a variation of a Pulis type of team? Then when Warnock goes after 1 season the new manager will come in and want to change and adapt. How can the club not see that we are just repeating the same old mistakes with managers and building teams?

Karanka was successful because he was allowed to build a team over three seasons with solid recruitment behind him but one that fit his tactics. All that will happen if we knee jerk from manager to manager is we create an unbalanced squad who ultimately we wasted wages on because they won’t play. 

Id rather go for someone who will be given money and time but have a proven track record of building teams with a certain brand of football that the fans will like. Even Chris Wilder lost his first 4 games as Sheff Utd manager in league one, so it doesn’t have to be straight off the bat success.

Even if the big bucks aren’t there then coaching and getting the best out of players is paramount. I’d rather pay more money for a coach like Bielsa than a marquee signing.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

But even if Warnock stays then all we are going to do is build a variation of a Pulis type of team? Then when Warnock goes after 1 season the new manager will come in and want to change and adapt. How can the club not see that we are just repeating the same old mistakes with managers and building teams?

Karanka was successful because he was allowed to build a team over three seasons with solid recruitment behind him but one that fit his tactics. All that will happen if we knee jerk from manager to manager is we create an unbalanced squad who ultimately we wasted wages on because they won’t play. 

Id rather go for someone who will be given money and time but have a proven track record of building teams with a certain brand of football that the fans will like. Even Chris Wilder lost his first 4 games as Sheff Utd manager in league one, so it doesn’t have to be straight off the bat success.

Even if the big bucks aren’t there then coaching and getting the best out of players is paramount. I’d rather pay more money for a coach like Bielsa than a marquee signing.  

It's so difficult finding that candidate though, a year ago there was a bandwagon and momentum wanting us to get Daniel Stendel in after Pulis a year later he got Hearts relegated! 

You look at successful in work managers down the leagues like Karl Robinson he's a safer bet but also has a relegation or two on his record and turned down the Leeds job while at MK Dons. Since we all presume our search in the summer, if it's not Warnock, to be limited to domestic managers either out of work or a league below the pool really isn't that big and deep.

I get peoples concerns on whether we'll have time to build a squad in the quick turnaround but I'm pretty sure the transfer window will be open until early October so hopefully there's enough time to clear out Britt and co while reinvesting some money in the numbers we will need because it's going to be a 10 out 10 in (maybe more) type summer regardless of division or manager.

• Like 2

There are just so many potential scenarios, its impossible to tell what we'll be doing.

Assuming Warnock keeps us up and doesn't feel like calling it a day just yet, it has to be tempting for Gibson to keep him on for at least 1 more season, knowing he can get decent results with a limited squad. Wouldn't need a huge squad clearout...more like a few signings to strengthen.

On the flip side, you are always on borrowed time with NW, given his age. Would Gibson say "thanks and goodbye" before he decides to jump?

What are the chairman's plans / aspirations for the club in the immediate future? I don't see him funding another promotion push just yet. He's probably content just to keep us in the Championship for now.

Getting a new manager in would likely see major changes to the squad, to fit a new playing philosophy. Also would likely mean a new backroom staff (which would be no bad thing). Does SG feel like financing that kind of change right now?

This is also assuming there are some suitable candidates out there that actually want the job. As has been said, the pool of available & experienced managers is pretty small to start with. How many would actually put pen to paper?

As ManBearPig said and as NW is (hopefully) starting to prove, an experienced manager and decent coaches are worth more than expensive signings, so whatever Gibson does, I hope we at least have a solid management staff next season. That way, if we have to get players in on the cheap, we at least have a shout of moulding them into a decent team.

20 hours ago, edinboro said:

I'm fascinated to see what our squad is going to look like next season. Regardless of league I imagine a lot of players will be off. The likes of McNair and Saville must surely fancy getting out of the place. It's not worked for them. Britt will be off.

Hopefully Spence, Coulson, Tav, Fry and Fletcher all stay.

I wonde how many more kids will be ready for the first team. 

A little bit of gossip starting to appear. Looks like we are going freebies and young talents again.

It looks like being end of August for next season. So no time really for turning a squad round.

Does make you think it has to be Warnock if we stay up. If we go down lordy knows what Gibson will do.

I really cant see many teams in the efl taking on britt, saville or mcnair with their salaries, as much I think a clear out is needed. It will be interesting to see what happens with transfer fees, wages etc this summer.

15 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

Just watched Quest i haven't a clue what Rowett is talking about, defender clearly trips himself.

Do you have a link. It won’t let me play it on my iPhone/iPad

18 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

Recorded it last night on the tv, highlight s are on YouTube though

Cheers for that. 
Im sure I saw that the cardboard cut outs of the Millwall fans that they pay for, try to start a fight 😉

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

Cheers for that. 
Im sure I saw that the cardboard cut outs of the Millwall fans that they pay for, try to start a fight 😉

I wonder if you'd still get a telling off for goading the cardboard fans?!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Uwe said:

Cheers for that. 

Seen a photo online with a cardboard cut out of a dog in a millwall shirt, surely that's animal cruelty!

Just now, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Boro legend are manager Jack Charlton has died. Arguably the best manager we ever had.

That’s sad. Arguably Ireland’s best manager too

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Blanco said:

That’s sad. Arguably Ireland’s best manager too

He's certainly up there. I loved the 94 Ireland team and was the team I supported with the lack of England being there. I will always remember Houghtons goal vs Italy and the touchline spat when he couldn't get Aldridge on as a sub.

• Like 1