oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

12 hours ago, Changing Times said:

This was nearly 20 years ago I think in fairness.  I wouldn't have an issue paying £10 for a stream but I can appreciate not everyone would feel the same.  Not everyone feels the same about spending hundreds on season cards either.

When I think how much it cost to get to games I could get to... a Tenner I can cope with, But living where I do matches I can get to are few & far between,so the obvious thing to do is a stream...or Jeff Stelling

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah, I was a little confused about that myself 🤨

But I think he might have meant he was playing the best at that time.  If you remember not long after Karanka arrived, Carayol had a good spell before and after Christmas where he scored a few goals.  I remember two at Blackpool for example but there were a few others.  Then a few weeks later he got dropped all of a sudden, I can remember chatting about it on here.  Then he got back into the side a month or so after that and he got injured.

Blackpool? everyone scored in Blackpool...or should have, Even I scored in Blackpool An I was born inside out

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I think as it stands, whilst everyone cannot attend matches live (regardless of where you are based), I think it is fair that everyone (barring ST holders) pays the same amount for the streaming service.

Once things get back to some semblance of "normality" there then does need to be a discussion about streaming prices for the international viewers.

Normality is eons away 409 more clambered out of Dinghys yesterday bringing all sorts of diseases

• Angry 1

If I remember correctly the Karanka/Carayol bust up came to a head after a defeat to Watford. Gibbo was sent off after Ben was left high and dry by the midfield and the players were allowed to stay in London. Karanka took exception to the fact that Muzzy has his glad rags on ready for a night out without a care in the world least of all the result. Don’t think he played much after that

Also he was nowhere near our best player either 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3
4 hours ago, SmogDane said:

Yeah, whose interest is it in to deny overseas people the option to watch? 

#OVERSEASPEOPLEMATTER

Well, the easy way to stop people using VPN, would be to demand a picture of overseas people's passport or drivers license .. Then you could document, where you lived .. 

I think it's strange that people living in Croatia, Spain or even Denmark should pay the ball for the ones not being able to go to the games as normal.. 

Last season I paid (legally) 120 odd pounds to stream the games _ why should I pay that amount 4 times for the same product this year? 

That's not the way to keep your overseas fans!

I would happily pay say 200 pounds .. but *** not 500 pounds!

Seriously, I don't know why VPN users are being targeted right now. You're talking about Boro fans with the technical skills to understand what a VPN is and does to stream a football match, there's surely not a chance in hell that they are the reason the international tickets aren't cheaper.

Like I've said, the logic is that you and I have exactly the same chance to get to a game right now. It's season tickets only, no walk-ups, I can't just drive down the road from Sunderland and turn up to any game I want. There's no privilege I have for being closer that demands I should pay more than you.

The only reason this is a problem is because the season ticket was so cheap to begin with. But it was cheap during a time when we were just offering a new product on top of the money we already took in from match-day revenue, we didn't need to capitalise on it to generate income. Now we do.

And again for the people in the back, we can't offer season tickets to the streaming service because this is not a plan that is intended to last for the duration of a full season:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-championship-live-streaming-details-18831470

And the temporary framework will only be in place until spectators make a return to stadiums.

The arrangements will be reviewed in October when clubs expect to reopen their doors to a socially distanced and strictly limited crowd.

I seen someone mention on Twitter about the Carayol thing that I'd forgotten about, that he actually signed a new deal around the time his loan with Brighton ended in April 2015 and his comments were something along the lines of 'this time next year I could be a Premier League player'. He obviously didn't care too much about Karanka being in charge at that time, did he?

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

Seriously, I don't know why VPN users are being targeted right now. You're talking about Boro fans with the technical skills to understand what a VPN is and does to stream a football match, there's surely not a chance in hell that they are the reason the international tickets aren't cheaper.

Like I've said, the logic is that you and I have exactly the same chance to get to a game right now. It's season tickets only, no walk-ups, I can't just drive down the road from Sunderland and turn up to any game I want. There's no privilege I have for being closer that demands I should pay more than you.

The only reason this is a problem is because the season ticket was so cheap to begin with. But it was cheap during a time when we were just offering a new product on top of the money we already took in from match-day revenue, we didn't need to capitalise on it to generate income. Now we do.

And again for the people in the back, we can't offer season tickets to the streaming service because this is not a plan that is intended to last for the duration of a full season:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-championship-live-streaming-details-18831470

And the temporary framework will only be in place until spectators make a return to stadiums.

The arrangements will be reviewed in October when clubs expect to reopen their doors to a socially distanced and strictly limited crowd.

You totally ignore my point, mate.. 

Last season there Was a fixed season pass for overseas fans..  This is no longer available and I have to Pay 4 times the price.. That is harsh.. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SmogDane said:

Last season there Was a fixed season pass for overseas fans..  This is no longer available and I have to Pay 4 times the price.. That is harsh.. 

And use a VPN to pretend to be in the UK.  Can't even buy a video stream here in France. 

Just now, macapes said:

And use a VPN to pretend to be in the UK.  Can't even buy a video stream here in France. 

Yeah, and no one will answer Who benefits from overseas people cannot buy the stream... 

Where are all the wise Guys with the wise answers, when you need them.. 

Just as a value proposition; buying all 46 games, through Boro and the opposition, across the season would cost more than buying Sky Sports for a year. 

For your money you get radio commentary, crappy 720p streams, no half time stuff, poor support fir devices, frequently no replays.  Its a poor product - and, bar a bit of extra bandwith, at no more cost to the club than last year. 

Its price gouging, done supposedly to support the clubs, all of which of course are owned by millionaires. 

Back to the pirate streams though, as i can't even buy it if i want to. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

For one, there's no guarantee an overseas season ticket won't turn up midway through the season IF things get better surrounding the pandemic. So don't value up the cost of all the games just yet.

And secondly, you've ignored the points I've made. You're not being *** on, the club gave you a cheap, cheap, cheap product last year because they could. You had a huge benefit against other fans who could not get to the Riverside domestically because, if we did want to, we had much less trouble doing it and to be honest, I couldn't care less about that. I thought that was great for overseas fans.

Now though, you have as much chance of getting into the stadium to watch a game as I do, so why should I pay more than you to stream a game? Especially when this is about covering the lost match-day revenue?

The point about overseas people who have been cut out from buying streams altogether is definitely one I agree with, though. I'm not sure how widespread that issue is so by all means guys, enlighten me! 😁

3 minutes ago, macapes said:

Just as a value proposition; buying all 46 games, through Boro and the opposition, across the season would cost more than buying Sky Sports for a year. 

For your money you get radio commentary, crappy 720p streams, no half time stuff, poor support fir devices, frequently no replays.  Its a poor product - and, bar a bit of extra bandwith, at no more cost to the club than last year. 

Its price gouging, done supposedly to support the clubs, all of which of course are owned by millionaires. 

Back to the pirate streams though, as i can't even buy it if i want to. 

Mate, they've lost so much match-day revenue, where do they make that up? And again, in case you missed it, this is a temporary situation based on the pandemic. It's not intended to be a long term solution by the EFL, it will be changed if it can.

10 hours ago, Changing Times said:

They didn't have it as bad as us is the difference I suppose.

True, being more isolated than we are and having a much lower population has definitely helped. Without opening another can of worms, I think how they have "handled" the pandemic is miles better than we have. But I don't fancy going down that path today!