• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

10 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Sure but you can’t send someone off for swinging his foot at a ball, that’s kind of the point of football. 

Its all about how and where you swing your foot though. Skill and judgement are also supposed to be major parts of football, but frequently go missing (with the refs as well as the players).

If you injure an opponent in the process...or if there is a high likelihood your action could have resulted in a serious injury, then a sending off is appropriate. Regardless of whether it was accidental (i.e. just stupid & reckless) or intentional.

If the ref or review panel judges there was malicious intent, then a further punishment should be awarded. Probably both a fine and a suspension.

Edited by AnglianRed
8 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Its all about how and where you swing your foot though. Skill and judgement are also supposed to be major parts of football, but frequently go missing (with the refs as well as the players).

If you injure an opponent in the process...or if there is a high likelihood your action could have resulted in a serious injury, then a sending off is appropriate. Regardless of whether it was accidental (i.e. just stupid & reckless) or intentional.

If the ref or review panel judges there was malicious intent, then a further punishment should be awarded. Probably both a fine and a suspension.

Nothing was flagged up or reviewed, so I presume the incident was put down to an unlucky accident. 

If the tables were turned and Boro were defending a high ball into the box and Fry decided not to clear the ball because he was worried about kicking an opponent in the head and hurting him, I’m not sure he’d get a lot of sympathy on here. Especially if his lack of clearance led to a goal. 

10 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Just answer me this. Can you see an injury in this photo? Is the guy hurt? Yes or No.

D4DBC46F-BA76-491B-80CE-1D06A353FB18.jpeg

that’s not just a black eye there’s also blood.

Still boggles my mind that the guy got off scot free for kicking Fry, while Paddy got sent off for what he did.

Both incidents were probably unintentional, but one resulted in an injury that caused Fry to miss some games, while the other resulted in a player over-acting.

If red cards can be rescinded on appeal, surely they can be awarded too (or at least retrospective punishments should be a thing)?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Then by the law it’s a red card. Everything else is something you want to bring that isn’t in the Laws.

We aren’t going to agree on this, that’s fine, I don’t think either of the incidents deserved a red, you do. Its probably time to move on. 

2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Nothing was flagged up or reviewed, so I presume the incident was put down to an unlucky accident. 

If the tables were turned and Boro were defending a high ball into the box and Fry decided not to clear the ball because he was worried about kicking an opponent in the head and hurting him, I’m not sure he’d get a lot of sympathy on here. Especially if his lack of clearance led to a goal. 

You're dealing in hypotheticals now.

I would hope Fry (or any other player, for that matter) would be smart enough to try and head the ball, or simply put himself in the way of any attempted shot.

As long as he made an effort I wouldn't give him any grief.

If he kicked an opponent in the head which led to that player missing several games, I would not be impressed at all and would have no qualms about him being sent off.

1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

Still boggles my mind that the guy got off scot free for kicking Fry, while Paddy got sent off for what he did.

Both incidents were probably unintentional, but one resulted in an injury that caused Fry to miss some games, while the other resulted in a player over-acting.

If red cards can be rescinded on appeal, surely they can be awarded too (or at least retrospective punishments should be a thing)?

There is but only in certain circumstances.

Essentially if the ref hasn’t included an incident in his report then it can be looked at.

If the ref includes it in his report then nothing can happen (even if he says he didn’t see the incident completely).

The FA have an attitude if they don’t want to rereferee matches which is rubbish because they do and they often do. 

Where I think there is a problem is that they don’t then work with the referee to understand why he didn’t see it and what they can do in future to prevent it happening again.

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

The ref wasn't even going to give a yellow.

Must've just been reaching for a stick of gum from his back pocket at an inopportune moment then I guess...

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

My guess is the ref probably put it in his match report, which means the FAs hands are tied unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

My guess is the ref probably put it in his match report, which means the FAs hands are tied unfortunately.

Which probably means incidents should still be able to be reviewed even if the ref puts it in their report. 🙄🤔