Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'


Recommended Posts

A manager with no future building a team with no future.  It sounds ideal.

Some decent players on the list mind, although some will be on sizeable wages of course.  I suppose a lot will depend on who we end up selling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great quote from Kevin Blackwell in the Athletic today 🤣🤣🤣

It's my birthday today, meant to be my 30th but I've refused to allow that in current circumstances of not being able to celebrate it. I usually get my age on the back of one of my shirts so I re

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-obvious-choice-manage-18614026.amp?__twitter_impression=true "Gibson is a hands-on owner and Bausor is a hands-on chief exe

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

A manager with no future building a team with no future.  It sounds ideal.

Some decent players on the list mind, although some will be on sizeable wages of course.  I suppose a lot will depend on who we end up selling.

Hopefully it isn't Warnock building a team.

I do think we'll probably end up cashing in on someone in order to rebuild. One of Fry/Tav/McNair and possibly one of the full backs would likely have suitors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know anywhere near enough about St Pauli or Bundesliga 2 to really say if it means anything, but I notice Stojanovic has only kept 1 clean sheet in his 8 games there, letting in 13 goals.

In the same period Bettinelli has played 10 homes, kept 2 clean sheets, and let in 16.

Fairly similar statistically, though I've not actually watched their games and I imagine Stojanovic made more saves in that period.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I don't know anywhere near enough about St Pauli or Bundesliga 2 to really say if it means anything, but I notice Stojanovic has only kept 1 clean sheet in his 8 games there, letting in 13 goals.

In the same period Bettinelli has played 10 homes, kept 2 clean sheets, and let in 16.

Fairly similar statistically, though I've not actually watched their games and I imagine Stojanovic made more saves in that period.

 

 

 

When they signed Stojanovic, St Pauli were second bottom in Bundesliga 2 with only one win to their name.

I'm guessing that in that predicament they don't have a great defence in front of him but they are now up to 11th in a league of 18 teams and ten points clear of SV Sandhausen, the team that now occupies second bottom place. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

When they signed Stojanovic, St Pauli were second bottom in Bundesliga 2 with only one win to their name.

I'm guessing that in that predicament they don't have a great defence in front of him but they are now up to 11th in a league of 18 teams and ten points clear of SV Sandhausen, the team that now occupies second bottom place. 

I know that, but when we signed Bettinelli we'd just finished 17th and we certainly haven't risen up the table because of him.

We'd probably be higher without him.

They signed 7 players in January, so it could be because of any number of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jmsguzzi said:

CD765156-0FCC-4F17-96D0-72DF0A8E6BDC.jpeg.e227766993c8d440ffbcdfdb05abbaa7.jpeg

guess we now know what Woodgate was up to before he got the Bournemouth job....

I saw that on Facebook earlier and thought it was Woodgate at first glance 😄

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

I know that, but when we signed Bettinelli we'd just finished 17th and we certainly haven't risen up the table because of him.

We'd probably be higher without him.

They signed 7 players in January, so it could be because of any number of them.

In the 8 games since Stoj joined them they have scored 19 goals and conceded 13, winning 6, drawing one and losing one.

In their previous 8 games before he arrived they had scored 9 and had conceded 15 goals, winning one, drawing two and losing five.

I'm guessing that they play open expansive football leaving themselves exposed at the back but its probably a combination of better strikers, more attacking play and slightly better defending. I doubt if it is all down to Stoj as he doesn't score goals but he must have played his part even if it's just psychological. 

That doesn't make him a great Keeper overnight any more than it makes him a worse one but to be a part of such a dramatic change in fortunes deserves acknowledgement if not credit. Is he better than Bettinelli? Thats open to opinion rather than fact as we haven't seen enough of him but I suspect that most of us would be of the opinion that we wouldn't be any worse off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Humpty said:

Lets not re-write history and forget the first 10-15 games of Bettinelli's season. He saved us points during that spell.

Can't say I remember that.

He barely faced a shot in the first 10-15 games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be unfair to say that Bettinelli hadn't contributed some positive moments.  It's just that he has let in more soft goals than most goalkeepers I can remember in a Boro shirt.  Shots that basically go at him that he can't stop for some reason.  But he has also pulled off some excellent saves as well.  He's a strange one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I didn't think you would

Which games did he save us points in the first 15 games then?

I'm not rewriting history, I just don't think there are many games in the early part of the season where he made crucial saves to get us points, but I can remember a number of games where he cost us.

In the first 15 games, we faced 34 shots on target and conceded 10 goals.

Most of those shots on target were in 3 specific games, in the majority of them we faced 1-2 shots on target a game.

A number of those shots on targets that were saved also led directly to another shot on target that then went in, like his spillage against QPR.

 

Off the top of my head, he definitely saved us points in the Luton and Birmingham match, but they're both after your 10-15 games.

Edited by TeaCider24
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...