Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great quote from Kevin Blackwell in the Athletic today 🤣🤣🤣

It's my birthday today, meant to be my 30th but I've refused to allow that in current circumstances of not being able to celebrate it. I usually get my age on the back of one of my shirts so I re

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-obvious-choice-manage-18614026.amp?__twitter_impression=true "Gibson is a hands-on owner and Bausor is a hands-on chief exe

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I wouldn't say our ratings for any of those things were good, they averaged out.

66th overall out of 91 teams (a sad reminder Bury were expelled). Governance is 25, Transparency 20, Dialogue 15.

If you bunch all the teams together into a position based on their individual scores, we are:

12th out of 16 in Dialogue
9th out of 14 in Governance
7th out of 10 in Transparency

I don't think its a shock that Governance is the one keeping us dropping lower, Gibson will keep us afloat by any means. He might make challenges for himself but he'll keep us going one way or another.

On a national scale, what does it say about the Premier League that none of the top 10 teams were in it this season and for the season it was done, only Norwich were in the top 10 in 10th, only Reading as a Championship representative in 8th. The top 4 teams were League Two teams, the other 4 were League One.

I wonder if banning local journalists effects the transparency score.  Mind you, we certainly aren't the only club to pull that stunt.  How is this index collated?  Is it simply from questionnaires to random fans?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

Am I right in thinking the 32RED shirt sponsorship was due to run out at the end of this season?

Was a 3 year deal announced in 2018, so unless it's been extended, yep.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a confusing piece in the gazette this morning...


“And while Warnock has been keen to calm expectations over the weeks, that results in quite the dilemma for him this weekend.

That's because Graeme Lee's side have a huge game on Friday afternoon - just 24 hours before Boro's clash with Wycombe.

Lee's U23s side host Crystal Palace U23s in the final game of the season knowing they will likely need to avoid victory if they are to secure a play-off place.“

If only football was that easy. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

There’s a confusing piece in the gazette this morning...


“And while Warnock has been keen to calm expectations over the weeks, that results in quite the dilemma for him this weekend.

That's because Graeme Lee's side have a huge game on Friday afternoon - just 24 hours before Boro's clash with Wycombe.

Lee's U23s side host Crystal Palace U23s in the final game of the season knowing they will likely need to avoid victory if they are to secure a play-off place.“

If only football was that easy. 

Gibson probably ordered them to print it like that. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-championship-promotion-brighton-2016-20536990
 

This is a good read.

It was a magical day. Easily the best moment as a Boro fan for me since the UEFA cup run in terms of the emotion and elation involved. Great memory.

I'd be tempted to bring George back into the fold now with the intention of developing him as a future Manager or he may even make a great DOF as he certainly has both the intelligence and ability. Throw in that the fans would be united behind him and in time it could prove to be SG's greatest signing.

  • Wow 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I'd be tempted to bring George back into the fold now with the intention of developing him as a future Manager or he may even make a great DOF as he certainly has both the intelligence and ability. Throw in that the fans would be united behind him and in time it could prove to be SG's greatest signing.

Heh. He'd certainly be the prettiest manager in the Championship.

"Mirror, mirror on the wall...who's the fairest gaffer of all...?" 😁

 

Seriously though, much as I love George, I'd rather we bring in someone who can do the business now...certainly with regards to the DoF role.

I'd rather see Friend at least do his coaching badges and get some experience as an assistant, before we start talking about him as a future manager...whether thats at Boro or elsewhere. He seems more the managerial type to me...someone who'd enjoy working with other players.

A DoF is more of a "big picture" strategic role, who takes input from the manager and recruiting staff, to create a roadmap for the club (setting budgets, oversight of transfers, season-by-season targets etc.) - basically trying to ensure it runs smoothly as a business, rather than "boom and bust" swings.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Heh. He'd certainly be the prettiest manager in the Championship.

"Mirror, mirror on the wall...who's the fairest gaffer of all...?" 😁

 

Seriously though, much as I love George, I'd rather we bring in someone who can do the business now...certainly with regards to the DoF role.

I'd rather see Friend at least do his coaching badges and get some experience as an assistant, before we start talking about him as a future manager...whether thats at Boro or elsewhere. He seems more the managerial type to me...someone who'd enjoy working with other players.

A DoF is more of a "big picture" strategic role, who takes input from the manager and recruiting staff, to create a roadmap for the club (setting budgets, oversight of transfers, season-by-season targets etc.) - basically trying to ensure it runs smoothly as a business, rather than "boom and bust" swings.

 

 

 

I agree about the here and now but perfect planning prevents poor performance and a lack of any strategic plan long or short term has seen Boro flip flopping around with the results to show for it. I think George more than any other player over the last few decades stands out because of his intellect and maturity not to mention level headedness. Sorting the immediate need is great but that's all we ever do, going from one style and squad to the opposite, never getting a good fit. We have a new Manager with the old Manager's players and by the time he hacks them and their agents off we have another new Manager arriving because the old one couldn't get a tune out of them and so we start all over again, moving the last Managers players out and bringing new face fitting favorites in, rinse and repeat.

Making a decision now that NW is remaining for say another two or three seasons and that GF will succeed him as the next Manager is at least is a plan offering stability and organisation. One that allows us to stop going from one extreme to the other, evolution rather than the constant revolution. Friend's preferred style may not be Warnock's and that's not particularly a bad thing as it allows a planned transition while attending to the immediacy of now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Lee's U23s side host Crystal Palace U23s in the final game of the season knowing they will likely need to avoid victory if they are to secure a play-off place.“

If only football was that easy. 

We'd probably end up winning with a fluke goal and we'd sky all our own-goal efforts...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Latest Posts

    • The signings so far have screamed mid table championship club because that is where we are now.    I will be surprised if we can get a team that is functioning and gelling and will gladly eat my words if we do. But, we are signing players who are underwhelming because that’s where we are now, an underwhelming club. 
    • Jury's out on the keeper, centre/right-back cover, an injured winger... I'm relatively pleased with Crooks and Ikpeazu so far in what we've seen but even then, it's when we play the Championship sides that we'll see what they're actually made of. It's not screaming promotion side right now.
    • Dont necessarily agree with that. Going after Brown or Bryan is not a reflection of Bamba’s ability but a reflection that Bamba is not left footed and therefore cannot play left back. I can see us signing Bamba AND one of Brown/Bryan but i think ideally NW wants Brown/Bryan as they can cover both positions.  For what its worth i am hoping NW forced to play Coulson v Fulham and the lad has a great game and ends up staying. I think Coulson at LWB could excel and it seems certain its wing backs we will play this season. People will rightly say that NW clearly does not want Coulson but he also thought Bola was garbage when he first seen and Bola soon changed his mind. Coulson could do same at LWB if given chance.
    • Really like the look of Crooks from what little we've seen so far, even Ikpeazu looks much better than I anticipated but maybe I'm just biased now he's signed Ameobi and Lumley have no feelings towards really, just making up the numbers  Badly need a goalscorer and a few creators bringing in 
    • I'm happy with Ikpeazu cause I think he'll suit the system and we only paid 600k for him. Other than that they're underwhelming. Keeper looks absolutely mid-table. We've not really improved in any areas though.

×
×
  • Create New...