oneBoro Forum

Boro V Bolton (A) 2-2

I've been fairly critical of Rhys Williams but unless he's made a mistake for either of the goals then I'm not sure he can be blamed for us conceding them. We didn't play especially well today and the two goal lead flattered us and was a lot more to do with Bolton making mistakes. The problem is that from that point, probably because we weren't playing well, we were unable to take control of the game as a good side would have done. From that perspective it's a disappointing result but actually highlights the weaknesses we still have in the side, which I think some people have forgotten because we've won a few games. Those things haven't disappeared and still need to be addressed.

Interesting point of view.

I was under the impression we weren't a weak side as such, more that we had good players that were simply under-performing.

Given our last few games, it seemed the new manager had got them playing to their full potential (or at least somewhere near it).

I think this result could be at least partly blamed on tiredness / the usual heavy Christmas fixture list.

Still, I won't argue our squad could stand some strengthening / improvements.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been fairly critical of Rhys Williams but unless he's made a mistake for either of the goals then I'm not sure he can be blamed for us conceding them. We didn't play especially well today and the two goal lead flattered us and was a lot more to do with Bolton making mistakes. The problem is that from that point, probably because we weren't playing well, we were unable to take control of the game as a good side would have done. From that perspective it's a disappointing result but actually highlights the weaknesses we still have in the side, which I think some people have forgotten because we've won a few games. Those things haven't disappeared and still need to be addressed.

Doesnt every defeat by every team highlight a weakness .

Agree with the williams comments. Jonah my ***

10 points from 12 is brilliant considering relegation was looking a real possibility before the Millwall game. Blowing a 2-0 lead is still massively frustrating and feels like a defeat. It seems that the hectic fixture list eventually caught up with us and we run out of energy late on and sat back which Maddison said just before we conceded.

We have 10 days before our next league game(FA cup in 3 days but rest players) for the players to rest and refocus their attentions to a very winnable game against a poor Blackpool side that are in free fall. Plus we might have made some signings by then to add some much needed quality players to our squad.

10 points from 12 is brilliant considering relegation was looking a real possibility before the Millwall game. Blowing a 2-0 lead is still massively frustrating and feels like a defeat. It seems that the hectic fixture list eventually caught up with us and we run out of energy late on and sat back which Maddison said just before we conceded.

We have 10 days before our next league game(FA cup in 3 days but rest players) for the players to rest and refocus their attentions to a very winnable game against a poor Blackpool side that are in free fall. Plus we might have made some signings by then to add some much needed quality players to our squad.

Couldn't have put it any better!

Disappointed to draw but tired legs took it's toll thanks to this stupid festive fixture list.

Disappointing that we reverted to type and couldn't hold on for the draw... despite a decent performance... too far away to see what happened with their equaliser but we should have had the game wrapped up by half time... thought Karanka got his 2nd half tactics right by pressing forward rather than sitting back after Bolton got a foot hold early in second half... here's my two penneth...

Given 8 solid as usual with some good saves... was tempted to knock a point off for the suicidal ball out of the back in the first half which could easily have costed a goal

Friend 7 solid defensive performance for the most part and kept Eagles well shackled... very little attacking play today

Ayala 8 another imperious display at the back... looks sharp at the moment and gets his foot in to block very well... looks like a decent player now the cobwebs have blown away

Gibson 7 reasonable performance but certainly not his best... looked a little unsure on occasions

Williams 7 kept the little korean guy under control first half and won the physical battle... should have done better with the shot after his probing run second half... still looks a shadow of his former self... he doesn't look comfortable in defence and should be moved up to centre midfield in my view

Smallwood 7 better than usual... not as wasteful and got stuck in well... lacks any ability to control the game or dictate the tempo from midfield which Whitehead does far better

Leadbitter 7.5 another better than usual performance carrying on where he left off saturday... more urgency and positivity in his play which is good to see

Adomah 7 quiet game by his standards but what he did do he did well... could possibly improved on his final delivery today

Carayol 6 grrr... good finish and a couple of decent runs but final product was poor again and hustled off the ball to easily... very frustrating to watch again and noticed we grabbed control of the game again after he was subbed

Butterfield 7 industrious with plenty of creativity and liveliness... caused Bolton a few problems and was involved in most of our good forward play... nothing hooked up for him today though unfortunately

Main 7 another workmanlike performance but not especially effective... Juke performs the target man role much better... had one or two decent half chances with his head once he had more support later on

Juke 7 swapping him for Carayol brought us back into the game and held the ball up well as usual... need to see more to his game than that though

Ledesma 7 got involved a lot as soon as he came on... some neat passing and looked dangerous again... was probably a bit selfish late on when better options presented themselves

Even against Reading we didn't perform in the second half which could have been partly down to tiredness/wanting to take their foot of the pedal to try to conserve energy. Karanka must have thought it was an issue before todays game by making 5 changes(4 unforced) and it still sounds like we didn't have enough freshness but he has done everything he could to try and avoid it but ultimately it caught up with us.

Aitor Karanka's thoughts after Boro's 2-2 draw: "Today I'm not happy. I wasn't happy with the team because we didn't play well."

Expect a different team again on Saturday against Hull

I would expect at least one defender to come in this month