oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Hull City Tigers AFC (FA Cup)

Your predictions please...what will be the outcome?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Your predictions please...what will be the outcome?

• Boro win - the Reds go marching on to Round 4
    • Draw - the Tigers take us to a replay at their place
    • Hull win - oh well, at least we can concentrate on the league now

[align=center]

BorovsHull_zps70b9ed25.png

Date: Saturday, 4th January 2014

Venue: Riverside Stadium

Kick Off: 3:00pm

[/align]

TEAM NEWS

Andy Halliday is recovering from a hernia op and will be assessed for this game. Likewise, Jayson Leutwiler is recovering from an ankle injury. Kamara is expected to be out for another week or two, after sustaining medial ligament damage. Jason Steele's ankle injury is likely to put him out of consideration until the end of the month. Parnaby is also definitely still out with a knee injury.

Shay Given and Daniel Ayala are both ineligible due to the terms of their loan deals.

MATCH PREVIEW

This weekend sees Boro take a break from the trials and tribulations of the Championship. Probably one of those games many would call an unwanted distraction, given that it comes on the heels of 4 league games in rapid succession.

While some are once again daring to dream of a top 6 finish and promotion play-offs (stop it, you fools! :P ) Boro instead play host to Hull City...or Hull Tigers, as their chairman would have you call them, in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

Those seeing the Cup as a distraction may take some comfort in the fact Boro's campaign could be a short one. Despite being on a bit of a lean spell of late and losing nearly half their Premier League games, Hull have nevertheless picked up enough wins and draws to see them sat squarely in mid-table, with a fairly respectable record for a club of their stature.

And as we all know, Premier League clubs that are struggling usually welcome a Cup game against lower tier opposition to get them firing again. That said, Boro have been known to cause the odd "cupset" on home turf, against loftier opposition...

MATCH FACTS

Statistically, the omens are good for Boro. Their home matches against Hull read as follows:

Played: 23

Won: 17

Drawn: 3

Lost: 3

Goals For: 48

Goals Against: 20

Also, Boro haven't lost at home to Hull since a 2-1 defeat in 1986. The most recent victory being a 2-0 win in October 2012.

ONES TO WATCH

Er...Hull don't really have any outstanding players, as far as I can tell. One of those hard-working journeymen type squads. Pretty much says it all when their top scorer (Robbie Brady) has a grand total of 4 goals for the season. That said, they do have some quality in the shape of former Spurs midfielder Tom Huddlestone, who scored his first goal of the season in their 6-0 thrashing of Fulham, Robert Koren and, of course, ex-Boro man Danny Graham.

What the opposition are saying

Had to check 3 different fan forums but eventually found this:

Hull City not606 - Who Are Middlesborough?

Its quite a short thread at the moment, a selection of comments as follows:

Anyone notice that the club were advertising tickets for our game with 'Middlesborough'?

I don't think there's any such team, and somebody should point that out to the ****witted staff down at The Circle.

It's Middlesbrough.

I always did wonder why they're known as Boro. The should be Bro.

Whichever way it is

They are a **** team in an even ****ter city

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Whichever way it is

im assuming he doesnt live in hull then :dodgy:

anyway..

really could do without this game tbh, hope we just put a few reserves out and give them a chance to show what they can do

----------------------dimi--------------------------

hoyte---------woody--------gibson-----friend

-------------whitehead-----smallwood---------

haroun--------------butterfield-------carayol

-----------------------juke-----------------------

no great loss if we get beat, i imagine that hull wont be full strength either.

2-1 hull (juke)

I couldn't care less about the FA Cup this year so hopefully we rest key players to keep them fit/best condition for our very important game against Blackpool the week after.

I wonder whether there will be any surprise starts like Ripley, Morris, Jones and L.Williams.

Judging from today's game I think quite a few first-choice players are in need of a rest, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if AK rings the changes.

Like you guys, I'm more concerned about maintaining the momentum we've built up in the league.

Despite very little riding on the game I'm looking forward to seeing a couple of youngsters that are coming through in a game where I'm not too fussed about the result. That's why I strangely enjoyed the early round FA cup games last season.

early cup games were well depressing last year, especially the shrews game. probs will go though cos i havnt had the chance to get to many games over Christmas

agree with jamesp, let the reserves show what they can do. Not really too concern with the result here, only hope the players show a good performance.

ex-players always seems to score against their former team. despite his bad run of form, i think graham will score against us.

What the opposition are saying

Had to check 3 different fan forums but eventually found this:

Hull City not606 - Who Are Middlesborough?

Its quite a short thread at the moment, a selection of comments as follows:

Anyone notice that the club were advertising tickets for our game with 'Middlesborough'?

I don't think there's any such team, and somebody should point that out to the ****witted staff down at The Circle.

It's Middlesbrough.

I always did wonder why they're known as Boro. The should be Bro.

Whichever way it is

Someone should really remind them we're not a city :p

Looking forward to this match. Although I do think we'll get beat tbh. Quite like bruce as a manager, nice guy and has done what few managers can do in getting a championship team promoted and then being immediately competative in the PL with little funding.

2-1 to the land of chip spice.

I think we should look to win every game we play. I'd be surprised if we were to put out a 'weaker' side against Premier opposition!

Replay time, 1-1

Looking for a result either way although would love to see Middlesbrough City win.. Don't want any replays that just clogs up the games.

Straight win or straight defeat..

St Mary's R C Cathedral.

We have a cathedral so we are a city.. :P

One wonders if we were classed has a city would we have had more investment in the past.

We should really go for it in this game, it's a great opportunity to take a Premiership scalp.

After the Accrington debacle, the team owe the fans a good cup run. No-one looks forward to fixtureless Saturdays, do they?

I'm not sure why people are advocating resting players, it's not as though we can win the league, we've much more chance of a decent cup run and a chance to earn some much needed gate receipts and maybe even, TV money.