oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Hull City Tigers AFC (FA Cup)

Your predictions please...what will be the outcome?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Your predictions please...what will be the outcome?

• Boro win - the Reds go marching on to Round 4
    • Draw - the Tigers take us to a replay at their place
    • Hull win - oh well, at least we can concentrate on the league now

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreign manager, doesn't understand what the FA Cup means, or how much passion can be instilled into the club by winning a couple of rounds.

dont think so, Aitor is a manager who always wants to win every game! I think he will have is own thoughts of the result and on witch players he can now bring and who not...now a good final Position in the league will be the aim now for the team... UTB

Foreign manager, doesn't understand what the FA Cup means, or how much passion can be instilled into the club by winning a couple of rounds.

Don't think I've ever seen a post shot down so much on here

To be fair, I also don't think I've seen many posts as silly and misinformed as that one.

Just got back from the match, not fussed about going out of the cup (rather focus on league), just disappointed with the way we played with very little intensity, especially in the first half. Hull packed out the midfield and our lack of quality going forward was exposed.

But there were some individual performances I was not impressed with:

Marvin Emnes: I've had enough of him now, he's just robbing a living

Luke Williams: Disappointed that he didn't grab his chance with both hands but he was only given 45 minutes.

Curtis Main: I don't think he's good enough at all. Touch was awful and he had a good opportunity to score if he put himself in the right place.

Not going to do a detailed review, heading back out soon but my thoughts on the game in a nutshell:

Friend: Awful, second goal was entirely his fault, he got drawn to the ball and left Boyd free to cross it.

Emnes: It was almost as if he was playing for hull today, made the wrong choices all the time and his passing was atrocious. Fannied out of most challenges too.

Main: Worst player on the pitch, every time he had the ball he lost it, not cut out for our level.

And finally a special mention to the other Friend on the pitch, Mr. Kevin Friend - worst refereeing performance i've seen this season, the reason the first half was so poor was because neither team could get into a rhythm due to him blowing his whistle every 20 seconds, and how he gave them a free kick when Meyler took out ledesma i don't know

Right I've just got back from that match and tbh I thought it was a woeful display. At the back generally (despite a few hiccups) we were fairly solid and played well, Main was a bit too isolated up front and inexperienced to make much of an impact, is was the 5 in midfield that let us down completely. I'll give my player by player breakdown:

Demitrios 5/10. Should of done better with the first goal (not sure about the second) Given definitely would of been off his line quicker for that goal. Other than that nothing too much to do.

Friend. 6/10 Decent all round play, got forward a bit but got dispossessed by trying to be too clever (And failing) defensively he was sound, won lots in the air and covered his Left back space fairly well.

Gibson 7/10 He seemed to lead the back line for me, he was always the rock the helped keep our shape and reduce their threat. He had a couple of decision issues but generally solid and I like him more every time I see him.

Williams 6/10 same as Gibson but I still want to see someone with his expeience coordinate things better

Varga 6/10 Defensively reasonable, lacks pace but his positional sense and awaereness stopped him getting beaten often. My concern and problem with Varga is he boots the ball out too much and he's a little slow witted on the ball.

Leadbitter 6/10 frightened to shoot, slows any attack play but the most solid and commited of the midfield and had good control of the ball

Whitehead 4/10 Terrible control of the ball lost it, didn't challenge for 50-50's enough, passes only backwards and seemed to slow of brain to pick up any runners. Terrible off the ball movement from him also.

L. Williams 2/10 Woeful, terrible close control, positional sense was terrible made the occasional decent defensive tackle.

Emnes, 4/10 Just Terrible, everything bounced off him, he had the touch of a sledgehammer today. His reactions were slow also.

Ledesma, 5/10 he was ok bad but he's a player that needs support from people making good runs and movement, this was severely lacking all through the game. I've no idea why he was taken off, was he injured?

Main 6/10 Did well enough, held up the ball won things in the air, his runs and off the ball movement is a bit naiaive at times though

Subs:

Adomah 6/10 played well, as always an outlet when he came on, close control was good but see ledesma's comments.

Juke 5/10 held the ball up well, but little real threat, slow on the turn slow on the ground seems to have lost a few yards of pace form when he first arrived here.

butterfield 5/10 always looked for the ball but not enough time to do anything

Karanka 4/10

Personnally I think the a fair bit of blame is on karanka's shoulders for this. L.Williams was just terrible on the left and completely off the pace and out of his depth. Fair play to him for trying to change things at HT but I don't think what he changed was right. If it was me I'd have Taken Emnes off for butterfield and L. Williams off for Adomah. That way Ledesma and Adomah can bet a bit more dynamic switching sides and offset the Hull defence.

Personnaly I would start smallwood infront of whitehead at all times also.

and transfers needed: Someone to keep Emnes out of the Team and a decent CF, sell Emnes Juke and L Williams now

Despite our performance there is no shame in us losing to premiership opposition. It could have been worse today if we faced a team like Rochdale who thrashed Leeds, or if we got beaten by Sheffield united like Aston Villa:rolleyes:

Well that was hard work to sit through...

We were useless. Constantly looking to pass backwards, tons of individual mistakes and some of the most atrocious passing I've seen from boro in years.

My ratings:

Konstantliabilityopolous - 4 - couple of saves from timid shots, but nearly gifted hull another with his terrible distribution. Not sure if he could have done much for either goal. Highly doubt he'll get another game for us.

Varga - 6 - fairly solid, but constantly passed backwards, massively annoying when there's options going forward and your 1/2 nil down in the game.

Friend - 5 - couple of promising runs forward, would have been more but he kept leaving the ball behind. Seemed to be having a "who can skin the other teams pretty boy the most" competition with george boyd as well... we did get sliced open at the left back area a couple of times, including for the second goal (but about half our team was sliced apart for that goal)

Gibson - 6 - didnt do a great deal wrong all game.

Williams R - 6 - decent defending. Back in his best position (imo), but wouldn't have him there over ayala or woody.

Williams L - 3 - did absolutely nothing other than a slightly tricky run which ended in him being tackled.

Leadbitter - 6 - did ok. Guilty of lots of passing back as well though.

Whitehead - 5 - started off well, but was soon giving sloppy balls away.

Ledesma - 6 - not his recent self. Had a couple of half hearted shots, but didnt do much.

Emnes - 7 - possibly controversial, but I thought marv was our best player today. Only one that looked like making something happen. Created our best chance of getting a goal when he flashed a lovely cross across their goal.

Main - 5 - worked hard and was strong in the challenge, but couldn't keep the ball up and didnt really get any chances. Also kept giving the ball away by trying to run through the hull players challenges.

Adomah - 6 - quick, but little end product today, was usually just shown into the corner flag.

Juke - 6 - looked better at holding the ball up than main, but gave the ball away trying daft tricks.

Butterfield - n/a - not on for long enough. Had no impact for the 10 mins he was on.

Referee - 2 - very poor. Penickety bugger. Promoted diving by giving free kicks anytime anyone went over. Stopped the game all the time as well.

Hull fans - 7 - hilarious. "You've only got one 'o'", "is there a fire drill" (near the 80th minute when some of our were leaving) and "handball" shouted every time we passed the ball (after we claimed a handball in their penalty area) were personal highlights :p

The thing that annoyed me the most with Emnes today was his decision making. It was taking him 4/5/6 touches before he decided what he wanted to do, by which time he'd been dispossessed or the chance to pass and move forward had gone, which slowed everything down. I don't understand why Ledesma was taken off and Main put on the left wing. Ledesma didn't have a good first half but he's always capable of making something out of nothing, even on a bad day. Main is not a winger, or a wide forward. Simple as that. He was a waste of a player stuck on the wing.

Not a great day but we have a week now to rest up and get ready for the next game, hopefully we can get back to how we were.