oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Hull City Tigers AFC (FA Cup)

Your predictions please...what will be the outcome?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Your predictions please...what will be the outcome?

• Boro win - the Reds go marching on to Round 4
    • Draw - the Tigers take us to a replay at their place
    • Hull win - oh well, at least we can concentrate on the league now

Despite our performance there is no shame in us losing to premiership opposition. It could have been worse today if we faced a team like Rochdale who thrashed Leeds, or if we got beaten by Sheffield united like Aston Villa:rolleyes:

It was the Hull reserve team. That is slightly embarrassing.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we still only one or two players from being a very good side? I get stick for saying we are further away from being a good side than others like to suggest but today we were essentially playing against a promotion winning Championship side. I think today shows we are quite some distance away from being at that level unfortunately.

Are we still only one or two players from being a very good side? I get stick for saying we are further away from being a good side than others like to suggest but today we were essentially playing against a promotion winning Championship side. I think today shows we are quite some distance away from being at that level unfortunately.

I'm not sure to be honest. We've had a busy period, and I think that affected our intensity and tempo. So it may be a little harsh to say we're some distance away from a team like Hull. But then again as you say we did essentially play Hull's second XI (or at least for the most part). We also didn't field a full strength side either, Adomah/Kamara/Woody/Given missing. It's a difficult one to conclude from today.

Not too bothered about the defeat today as can focus just on the league now. For me Friend can be a defensive liability and if we had a better choice of centre back I would start Gibson at left back and drop him. Smallwood for Whitehead full stop, Whiteheads old and past it, doesnt have the legs to keep his runner. Smallwoods full of running and still learning. Main can be rapid but doesnt have the intelligence for a sole striking role, fair dues we have injuries (kamara would be starting otherwise). We need another defender, and a striker this window then can hopefully go on a run again. Up the Boro!!

Ive looked at a couple of these player ratings.if you can't see that R willims and friend were our two best players and L williams,main,whitehead and emmnes are clearly rubbish and not up to the job then you know nothing about football.

Ive looked at a couple of these player ratings.if you can't see that R willims and friend were our two best players and L williams,main,whitehead and emmnes are clearly rubbish and not up to the job then you know nothing about football.

Behave yourself.

No need to be so hostile is there sunshine.

Funny things opinions, everybody can have different ones.

Thanks for chipping in with your typical hostile comments.

Hull were poor today but we were very poor and fully deserved to lose. Both goals were from individual mistakes; Ledesma for the first and Friend getting caught too wide to let Boyd get inside him. We seemed to lack desire and particularly movement to play through them, something definitely wasn't right. Hull done a good job pressing us but still we should have done far better than that mess.

Konstantopolopolopodoulopops: 6.5- Was ok. Could he have been off his line faster for their first?. Not too sure.

Varga: 6.5 -Didn't do anything particularly great or awful.

R.Williams: 6.5 - Done ok. Brought the ball out of defence well but still didn't look fully assured. Could have given a penalty away in the first half pushing a Hull player over that nearly got past him in the box. A few rash tackles.

Gibson: 7.5 - Defended well but passing was a bit shaky.

Friend: 5.5 - Fully at blame for their 2nd goal by being out of position too wide and allowed Boyd get inside him.

Ledesma: 5 -At blame for their first and looked off the pace from the start.

Whitehead: 5.5 - Passing shaky and struggled all game.

Leadbitter: 6 - Best of a very poor midfield. There was next to no movement/spaces to exploit in front of him so had to keep moving the ball sideways and backwards.

L.Williams: 3 - I felt sorry for him as he looked totally out of his depth. His first touch was awful and needed to come off at half time.

Emnes: 6 - Passing was generally poor. Did create 2 of our 3 genuine chances though.

Main: 4.5 - First touch was awful and provides nothing to the team other than energy and aggression. There's no way he's Championship standard.

Adomah: 7.5 - Came on and ran at players to made things happen.

Juke: 4 - His first touch and close control were awful(like many others). The sooner he leaves the club the better as he just isn't good enough.

Butterfield: N/A

I couldn't care less about being out the cup, I'm more disappointed about some shockingly bad individual poor performances. We could do with another CM as neither both Whitehead and Smallwood have clear weaknesses. Smallwood has improved this season but someone like Chalobah(energetic, mobile, can tackle and pass)would be a very useful addition.

Positives: No injuries, no red cards and no important players picking up yellow cards. Roll on Blackpool.

Lets give some credit to Hull today... they played some really neat football and Stephen Quinn was a different class for them.

Yes we probably showed them too much respect but we generally contained them pretty well... but after they scored what was a bit of a flukey goal they got their tactics spot on and shut up shop with what was basically a 3-7-0 formation and stifled the game. Probably the best side I've seen us play this season.

Credit due to Rhys who was immense winning all his tackles and headers... and even managed one or two probing runs. The other Williams however was very disappointing and Ledesma was also poor apart from one amazing cross field pass.

Not gonna get down about losing to a premier league side... albeit their second string... just after recording a haul of ten points over a busy xmas schedule.

Just been reading some other people's thoughts on the match and i'm not sure if I was watching the same game?!

I actually thought Whitehead and Friend both had good games.

Have to agree with a lot of posts on here which say we were poor today. I really felt we could have caused Hull some problems but we never seemed to get out of the blocks. Slow tempo, no movement.

I'm not too fussed about being out of the cup, but I was dissapointed in the performance. After the first goal went in, it felt like we just never had any belief that we could get back into it. Sloppy passing, shocking first touches, no movement to create space. Just going through the mill. The last 5 to 10 minutes we actually looked more threatening but the game was well over by then.

Luke Williams had a shocker. Emnes wasn't much better.

Not to worry though. I'm sure karanka will have learnt a few things today about a few players and will hopefully use this knowledge to good use in the future. Utb

Luke Williams and Curtis Main's performance showed why Mogga never played them, they were truly awful. We are ao desperate for a proper striker, I just hope Gibson backs Karanka in the window for a goalscorer.

The performances today of Juke and Main(possibly L.Williams also) should have pushed our need for a new striker up to essential. If we are to have any hope of getting into the play offs then we need to sign a quality striker this window.