oneBoro Forum

Boro V Charlton Athletic

For the majority of the game we were poor, the second half in particular we were shockingly bad on the ball. But we kept our shape and were hard to break down. It felt inevitable that we were going to concede towards the end as we were struggling to keep pressing them. Given's save was celebrated like a goal and rightly so as it was unbelievable.

Given: 9 -Came out to sweep up through balls when needed with assurance. His save at the end saved us throwing two points away.

Varga: 8 -Defended well, especially with Ledesma's shaky cover in front of him.

R.Williams: 8.5 -Defended brilliantly and was good on the ball.

Ayala: 7.5 -Nothing spectacular but dealt with everything he had to.

Friend: 8.5 -Solid game defensively yet again and a few very good runs forward.

Ledesma: 8 -Going forward caused problems and his goal was brilliant. Poor defensively in the first half in particular.

Whitehead: 6 -Sloppy game with many mistakes but was always involved and didn't let his head drop. He's gave Karanka the perfect chance to put Chalobah in his place now.

Leadbitter: 7 -Worked hard as ever and done a decent job against a packed Charlton midfield.

Carayol: 8 -A few very good runs and shots. His footwork today looked like it's improved and did more than the typical quick step over and flick the ball past his man.

Emnes: 6.5 -Worked hard and done better reading Main's knockdowns. A few mistakes and bad decisions though. Read Rhys' through ball very well and controlled it to get a decent shot off.

Main: 5 -Worked hard but just isn't good enough to be a Championship striker currently.

Juke: 5 - Awful. When he ran he looked like he was pulling a trailer behind him. didn't hold the ball up well enough.

Smallwood: 6.5 -Worked hard and gave us energy at a key time when we were struggling to keep closing them down. Didn't really get the ball under control as we had our backs against the wall.

Kamara: NA

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet Emnes went off last week and we suddenly came alive and the change effectively won us the 3 points. Ever think that it's not because Emnes went off, but more that we changed the system to a less effective one and charlton were naturally pressing on due to wanting an equalizer? Doesn't change the fact that we can do a lot better than Emnes in that position.

For example, if we brought Butterfield on instead we probably wouldn't have had this discussion

I did think that was a possibility but it simply isn't the case, we didn't change the system we attempted to play the same way and it didn't work.

People's opinions on him are hugely tainted by the poor year he had last year and the way his misplaces a few passes and doesn't charge around after everyone.

We couldn't do better with our budget at the moment.

I think what he meant was the way we changed our personnel within the system, dropping main onto the right, moving ledesma into the middle. I agree with his opinion that if we'd borough on butterfield and not shifted people about then it wouldn't have had the same negative effect on our performance afterwards.

It was a scrappy game, but in a strange way entertaining at the same time. Williams and Ayala were brilliant today, Friend did well too, Varga was poor as was Whitehead, both looked really shaky, especially in the first half. Muzzy Carayol was by far our best performer today from an attacking sense, looked very sharp. Main and Emnes did nothing much, Ledesma did ok. Juke was awful when he came on, every time he got the ball just about, he lost it, and ended up on either his *** knees or back waving his arms, pathetic.

Anyway, not the best performance but its fantastic to be winning these scrappy games, especially with a weakened team fielded today, and more strength to come in with our loan signings. UTB

I think thats harsh on varga tbh, i didnt think he did much wrong, at the same time i dont think you,ve been harsh enough on whitehead, he was abismal, his worst display for a while

Varga was caught out of position and 2-3 yards behind the play on at least 3 occasions in the first half, everything coming into our box was coming from down their left.

On the occasions he was behind play he got back into posistion though, i know what your saying, but whitehead was far worse imo, he passed the ball directly to there striker in our box in the first few minutes, his distribution was awful aswell.

Haven't seen it on telly yet but looked more poor goalkeeping than a quality goal from where I was!

I was sat right behind it and it looked like it was going wide then once it bounced it seemed to change direction a little and creep in, very similair to his goal against burnley.

My team ratings:

Given: 1million/10 - solid as always and cut out situations coming off his line, including a nice cushioned header to freind.

Varga: 8/10 - got skinned a few times but their winger was ridiculously quick so can't blame him, did everything else right.

Williams 8/10 - Looked back to his best today, his anticipation was brilliant.

Ayala - 8/10 - another top class performance, he just keeps getting better and better.

Leadbitter - 7/10 - Looked be a little more advanced today he made some good runs in behind but no-one was willing to play him through, made some good tackles and kept us ticking, loves a cross field pass.

Whitehead - 7/10 - some very dodgy moments early in the game but got better as the game went on

Muzzy - 6- never got involved enough for me, although he did look positive when he had the ball.

Emnes -7- always looking for the space in behind and you could tell they were worried about him.

Ledesma -7- good strike for his goal, looked positive on the ball but nothing special other than his goal.

Main -6- won a lot in the air but often went to the opposition, first touch was poor and seemed to have a his head down when he had the ball, there was a few times people had made runs in behind but he completely ignored them. not cut out for this level.

Smallwood: -6- did what he needed to do, one lovely cross field ball right onto kamara's foot.

Kamara: N/A - not enough time one the pitch but did look strong going up for headers etc.

Juke: - 7- think some are being harsh, he changed the game again when he came on, the ball stuck to him and without the keeper making a smart save would have had a goal, also passed to give ledesma an open goal rather than shoot himself.

Yet Emnes went off last week and we suddenly came alive and the change effectively won us the 3 points. Ever think that it's not because Emnes went off, but more that we changed the system to a less effective one and charlton were naturally pressing on due to wanting an equalizer? Doesn't change the fact that we can do a lot better than Emnes in that position.

For example, if we brought Butterfield on instead we probably wouldn't have had this discussion

I did think that was a possibility but it simply isn't the case, we didn't change the system we attempted to play the same way and it didn't work.

People's opinions on him are hugely tainted by the poor year he had last year and the way his misplaces a few passes and doesn't charge around after everyone.

think we have better options within the club, ledesma can do marvins job, as can butterfield (when he is match fit) I would hope we sell emnes while we still can

Ledesma can't do Marvin's job, he moved there when emnes came off and couldn't do it, he doesn't drop deep to get the ball or run into the pockets of space to provide an option for the midfielders.

If ledesma could do it and was better than emnes don't you think Karanka would play him over emnes?

I think what he meant was the way we changed our personnel within the system, dropping main onto the right, moving ledesma into the middle. I agree with his opinion that if we'd borough on butterfield and not shifted people about then it wouldn't have had the same negative effect on our performance afterwards.

Ledesma is meant to be a creative midfielder, our shape really should have changed with the substitution but it did because ledesma cannot play the same role as emnes does in the team, neither can Butterfield.

I think I'll choose to agree with Karanka who has started him virtually every game since arriving and with other teams fans who see him as one of our dangerous players.

Did anyone have a good view of the sending off? Didn't look like a red from where I was but didn't have the best angle, just wondering what actually happened and if it was deserved?

From where I was it didn't look like a red but apparently he had his studs up on whitehead.

think we have better options within the club, ledesma can do marvins job, as can butterfield (when he is match fit) I would hope we sell emnes while we still can

Ledesma can't do Marvin's job, he moved there when emnes came off and couldn't do it, he doesn't drop deep to get the ball or run into the pockets of space to provide an option for the midfielders.

If ledesma could do it and was better than emnes don't you think Karanka would play him over emnes?

He has barely been given a proper chance to show it from the start so I dont really know

Ledesma is meant to be a creative midfielder, our shape really should have changed with the substitution but it did because ledesma cannot play the same role as emnes does in the team, neither can Butterfield.

I think I'll choose to agree with Karanka who has started him virtually every game since arriving and with other teams fans who see him as one of our dangerous players.

Did anyone have a good view of the sending off? Didn't look like a red from where I was but didn't have the best angle, just wondering what actually happened and if it was deserved?

From where I was it didn't look like a red but apparently he had his studs up on whitehead.

I don't mean this in any way sarcastic, but can you please explain what it is Marv does so well that others are incapable of?

One of his major weaknesses was glaringly obvious today in the second half when he failed to spot carayol in acres to his left and he instead cut inside fell over looking for a free kick and lost the ball, he has this strange knack of looking at his feet when he has the ball at his feet, and it obviously affects his vision and ability to pick out a pass IMO.

I don't think it's unique to this forum. Some people look for different things in a performance. An outrageous 40 yard goal might mask an otherwise awful display. Someone might rate the player a 9 for the goal another might rate a 5 for the performance etc.

Everyone has an opinion. That makes football great!

One thing i will say about Emnes... McClaren, Southgate, Strachen, Mowbray, Karanka, have all seen something in him, along with a host of opposition managers who have picked him out as our danger man on numerous occasions, and opposition managers who've shown an interest in signing/loaning him not to mention opposition fans - i have spoke to people who support a whole load of different teams over the last few years and i have honestly heard many many people ask me where we got Emnes from and how much we would sell him for. So he must do something!

Personally, i don't think he's a class act or anything, but there is people currently playing in our first team who i think are a much much bigger concern than Marvin. If we got a decent cash offer of 1 million or more, i'd consider selling, otheriwse he's a decent player to have around