oneBoro Forum

Boro V Charlton Athletic

Well, regardless of whether Given should have dealt better with his first attempt at that save, there is no denying his "redemption save" won us the match.

Glad some footage was finally found...I was beginning to wonder if I hadn't imagined hearing it in the radio commentary.

In fact, if we'd taken the goalscoring chances we missed, it wouldn't have mattered if Church's goal hadn't been ruled out for offside...

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

What a huge over reaction to the save. He did very well to keep hold of it, but it was directly at him. Few have also mentioned his *** poor punch that landed us in trouble in the first place!

Haha come on Humpty, to hold on to that shot which was struck perfectly, was unbelievable. If he'd have spilled it they could have had a tap in.

As for the punch the ball was at an awkward height for him to do anything else with.

Come on what? I gave him credit for holding onto the ball but it was struck directly at him. Incredibly important yes. Wondersave? absolutely not.

I don't think the video has done the save any justice tbh, the time he has to react is minimal.

I sit at the matches in the south stand, and that shot was anything but straight at him. The fact he reacted fast enough to save it in the first place at the power it was struck was great, the fact he held it is nothing short of a miracle. Definitely won us 2 points, don't care what anyone else's views are on the matter, that's just how it is.

What a huge over reaction to the save. He did very well to keep hold of it, but it was directly at him. Few have also mentioned his *** poor punch that landed us in trouble in the first place!

I think you're equating spectacular with good. Given's save showed good reactions and good hands - it was a good save. Just because it isn't spectacular that doesn't mean that it doesn't have qualities of it's own. I'd say part of the reason the punch was poor is that he got hit at the same time he made it by that attacking player not to mention the fact that he was having to reach for it to get there before him. I don't think it's a case that only he could have made that save however and it wouldn't have surprised me to see Steele make it. It did win us the game though.

To be fair to Varga the ball was about a metre above his head when it went over him, seems a bit harsh to criticise him for that.

So he couldn't be bothered to grow an extra three foot in height then? God, what is it with players nowadays, they're so bloody lazy aren't they? ;)

Anyone criticising Varga for that can only have some sort of axe to grind with the fella in my opinion. The ball was way over his head and he was also being doubled up on so there should have been an extra Boro player over there helping him out. Actually, that part has disappointed me because they were down to 10 men as well so that is a case of a Boro player being too lazy to track back or not concentrating enough to be positioned where he should have been. Can't see how Varga is at fault at all.

You're talking as if the video clip doesn't exist.

and you're talking as if that blurry, single angled video clip is the be all and end all to the save.

It's a terrible angle to see where the ball was as he saved it.

We have multiple people here who were AT THE GAME who all confirm the ball was at a more difficult position than the video shows.

After all the creaming over it, have to say what an anti-climax that save was.

A decent save at an important time is about the best I can muster

Come on guys honestly would you have preferred that it went in?

Good save Given did his job and realistically saved us 2 points!

Next game please (actually quite missing the midweek matches to a degree)

The clip doesn't do it justice. It's the type of save you where you need a camera behind the goal and slow motion to fully appreciate the quality of the reflexes required to save it.

the ball was at a more difficult position than the video shows.

You're saying the video doesn't show what actually happened?

As CT says it was a good save a critical point in the match. The timing of the save has increased its legend 10 fold. I'm not saying he hasn't won us 2 points nor am I criticising him. I'm merely drawing attention to the fact that it wasn't a world class save and that Jason Steele has made equally good saves if not better this season.

If I'm honest my biggest bug bear with all this is the raw deal Steele is being given. It wasn't long ago that he was almost single handidly keeping our defences head above water. Now Given us being lauded as the saviour when in actual fact the biggest difference is the re-organisation of the defence and the way in which we're playing.

As CT says it was a good save a critical point in the match. The timing of the save has increased its legend 10 fold. I'm not saying he hasn't won us 2 points nor am I criticising him. I'm merely drawing attention to the fact that it wasn't a world class save and that Jason Steele has made equally good saves if not better this season.

If I'm honest my biggest bug bear with all this is the raw deal Steele is being given. It wasn't long ago that he was almost single handidly keeping our defences head above water. Now Given us being lauded as the saviour when in actual fact the biggest difference is the re-organisation of the defence and the way in which we're playing.

I agree to an extent there's very few saves I've seen given make that I wouldn't expect Steele to make either. In fact theres a couple that I would of thought Steele would of done better with sometimes. I also say that on the one hand vocally and command of the area Given is better, but distribution with Steele far surpasses Given with speed of thought and getting the ball out for quick breaks. On Balance I don't think theres much in it between steele and given

Thanks Humpty, I'm not sure that was common knowledge, that's good to know. I was starting to feel a bit sorry for Steele too. Once Shay's loan ends, I presume Jason will be back between the sticks.

Steele has always got a bit of a raw deal, when you are on a losing run, and conceding a lot, it's bound to happen, Williams, Woody and Friend were all getting stick during that period as well. I think even I pointed the odd finger at a certain midfielder, at the time.

Everyone likes a scapegoat or 2.

And we've had two or three members here already say that the save was a lot more difficult than it looks and it WAS a world class save.

I'm saying you can't always trust a single angle camera shot to show you what happened. From the angle we have it looks like it went straight at him.

Everyone who saw it confirms that is not the case and it was up and to the left, to save that AND keep hold of it shows insane reactions AND the ability to think on his feet and not just instinctively parry it.

I have absolutely nothing against Steele and I don't appreciate you making the insinuation that I'm getting at Steele.