oneBoro Forum

Enough Firepower for the Play-offs?

Do you think we can make the play-offs with our current striker options, namely Kamara, Juke and Main?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we can make the play-offs with our current striker options, namely Kamara, Juke and Main?

• Yes: I believe Kamara, Juke and Main will be enough for us to make the play-offs
    • No: We need to invest in a new striker this January to stand a chance of making the play-offs

I've voted no because I think if we were to go up this season, we'd have possibly the worst performing strike-force in a promoted team. I don't quite fancy the chance of that happening.

I'd quite like to know those stats actually: lowest-scoring top-scorer in promotion winning sides.

Still, like Chimpy, I reckon if Karanka thinks we can make the play-offs with the strikers we have, I believe we can do it. We'll see what happens the next 2 weeks.

I think I read earlier that Hull's top scorer last season had nine.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking more towards "Enough consistency for the play-offs".

Everyone contributes to goals, not only the strikers. True enough ours aren't scoring enough. But if others are able to chip in often enough to gain the points. I won't be overly concern with the strikers.

Of cos, if we can add new firepower, its always a welcome. Even better if that comes with consistency.

Like what others have said, if Karanka feels its good enough to make the playoff, I believe we are good enough to make the playoff.

Just a thought but

is the fact that a lot of goals are coming from non strikers because of the lack of faith by the midfielders to the strikers and therefore they would rather go for it than set up a non scoring striker who will only miss afterall.

This makes us fairly unpredictable in the threat department as a number of midfielders can and have scored, however if we got a so called 20 goal a season (Finisher) would it backfire, would we revert back to "Type" and look to him as the saviour and always pass to him and make him the only danger man / real goal threat which history has shown we always end up being a strikers graveyard by being predictable and easy to "snuff out"

Badger in Asia

I clicked Yes by accident when in fact we need another goalscorer to come in and supplement Kamara as I can't see Juke and Main getting 5 between them, let alone 5 each.

It seems the role of our strikers at the moment is to hold the ball and draw the defense.

But they also MUST have the ability to finish when the opportunity presents itself. And two out of our current three strikers seem to lack this.

We need a clinical finisher. But on saying that, if we can keep scoring at the rate we are through the midfield we can threaten to claim a play off place.

All the games between Boro and a team above us are 6 pointers now.

Our away games up until mid March with the exception of Leicester are all there for the taking. We have the likes of Doncaster, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Watford, Sheffield Wednesday off the top of my head, if we can consolidate our home form then our counter attacking nature away from home will surely be a threat to these sides.

I think it's essential that a striker is added to the mix up to complete the 'package' if you like and give us some much needed goals, cos goal difference will be a factor i'm sure of it.

Sticking with my usual idiotic positively mental attitude I'll say we will smash it and easily make the playoffs. Keep the faith!

UTB!

Fixed it for you. ;)

That said, its nice to see a bit of OTT optimism on here. Far too many miserable buggers...myself included. :D

I was one of those optimists who voted yes, but my opinion rests on if Kamara stays fit for the rest of the season.

He's been a good signing for us (thanks Mogga!). He holds the ball up well, can score but it won't be 20 a season. Also, the system we play means we need a player like Kei to hold the ball up for the likes of Adomah, Ledesma and Carayol to have a shot at goal.

However, if Kei were to get injured again, I don't think Juke and Main would be able to get us promoted.

we are the fourth highest scorers in the league without having a goalscorer. we always have a goal in us but this is usually compromised by having to score 2/3 to win the game. this isnt the case any more. if we can stay solid at the back and hard to beat. kamara, ledesma, adomah and muzzy will always have a goal in them

We need a striker or 2 but not right now. We're not going to make the play offs so give the squad a chance to prove their worth to Karanka let him see for himself over a period of time what he has and what he needs, then see if he can rebuild for next seasons promotion push

Not at the moment, all our goals are coming from the wing atm and wingers, especially championship are notoriously hot and cold.

I think we definitely need a forward this window, even if it is at the expense of a big player.

Would anyone prefer us getting promoted this season or the next?

This obviously. You've got to take your chance while you can, just look at Mowbray, flying first year, top last Christmas, nearly bottom in May.

If we had went up in the first year we'd have come back down but with 120m in the bank.