oneBoro Forum

Smallwood set to leave on loan

I don't think this means the end of Smallwood with Boro. He's clearly now 4th choice, and though Varga is better suited to RB, he can be the replacement back up option in that CM role for the remainder of this season if push comes to shove. If anything it'll aid his development (better playing then not) and give Karanka more scope for making a correct decision come the end of the season. I think his contract expires this summer. But it's better being able to make a decision after seeing his impact in regular competitive football as oppose to just little cameos and training. Then Karanka can genuinely judge if he's good enough to be one of his CM quartet.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

If Smallwood is let go I have to say I would be extremely disappointed in Karanka, but also Gibson and Parnaby. It's clear too see for most of us Smallwood has the heart! Also I think he has the potential to become a very good player. He is professional, trains well, and is relatively consistent. He's still young and even more importantly is Boro through and through! Smallwood deserves a contract he's broke into the first team, done well and tbh has he ever been given a proper shot!?

On Richie's instagram...

n10bailey

How comes you gone there pal? @richsmallwood33

richsmallwood33

Said I can go on loan mate so @n10bailey

n10bailey

I thought u been playing @richsmallwood33

richsmallwood33

I was mate, don't know what happened @n10bailey hope your well mate

If Smallwood is let go I have to say I would be extremely disappointed in Karanka, but also Gibson and Parnaby. It's clear too see for most of us Smallwood has the heart! Also I think he has the potential to become a very good player. He is professional, trains well, and is relatively consistent. He's still young and even more importantly is Boro through and through! Smallwood deserves a contract he's broke into the first team, done well and tbh has he ever been given a proper shot!?

Why would you be disappointed in Karanka? Do you ever want to get out of this division? Karanka only wants the best for us and he will only select the best 11 available to him. He wants to get out of this division this season if possible. Karanka has given him a run of games but obviously he thinks he is not good enough yet. Surely if your going to blame anyone it has to be Mowbray. He stalled Smallwood's development by never having the faith to play him. At least Karanka has given him a chance.

None of what you stated defines a quality footballer. Sending him out on loan is the correct thing to do. He needs first team football to progress his career whether that's with us otherwise.

Emnes isnt a quality footballer, juke isnt, hell Carayol isnt, Ledesma isnt, friend isnt, Varga isnt, Ayala isnt, Whitehead and Leadbitter are not.....should i go on?

We dont have a quality team.

That depends on the context of your comparisons and their purpose. In which case the players you have listed (give or take one or two) have the quality to play successfully in a top 6 championship side. Smallwood doesn't.

Emnes isnt a quality footballer, juke isnt, hell Carayol isnt, Ledesma isnt, friend isnt, Varga isnt, Ayala isnt, Whitehead and Leadbitter are not.....should i go on?

depends what your measuring quality with. As a Sunday league player id say most of the players you have mentioned are top quality. But if yoour defining quality against the likes of rvp, hazard, Suarez etc... Then they are mostly unknown quantities.

Do like smallwood especially his workrate, so was kind of surprised that he is being sent out on loan.

But having gone through all the comments... I hope he does well enough to come back a better player and force himself into the first team.

How true is the contract extention? I hope we extend him at least for another season.

They aren't quality agreed, but they are certainly adequate at this level.

That depends on the context of your comparisons and their purpose. In which case the players you have listed (give or take one or two) have the quality to play successfully in a top 6 championship side. Smallwood doesn't.

Thing is he ISNT playing week out week in, he is pushing to start and he is a squad member.

In his place without a doubt we have brought a better technical player in, whom is on loan. He may not put the effort in though and he had that accusation thrown at him this season at Forest.

If he doesnt then the loan will be unsuccessful and loaning out Smallwood might actually come back to haunt the manager. (i dont think it will personally)

The club is loaning out a very handy squad player on grounds you believe that he isnt good enough to play, yet he has been playing, even under the new manager if he wasnt then surely he would have had 1 appearance and then not been seen again al la Richardson?

depends what your measuring quality with. As a Sunday league player id say most of the players you have mentioned are top quality. But if yoour defining quality against the likes of rvp, hazard, Suarez etc... Then they are mostly unknown quantities.

You feel the players i mentioned are TOP quality?

I was interested to read Steve Evans ( Rotherham's manager) quoted in the Sheffield Star and referring to the pre season game I mentioned earlier. What he said was that Richie was the best player on the pitch that day. Additionally, this is the third time he's tried to loan him.

I'm naturally pleased to have my opinion confirmed.

Humpty seems to disagree. I'm happy for him to disagree with me ( and Mr. Evans) but I'd be grateful if he would not propound his opinion as a fact. The two things are different.

All I can do is wish the lad well and maybe pop down and see how he's getting on one evening