oneBoro Forum

Is a ball in or out of play. Explained.

Be6FNIyIgAAwG-f.jpg

Everyone has seen this, and everyone has an opinion on it.

Now watch this:

https://vine.co/v/hDql5zJnbrt

In the first 3 seconds, judge if the ball is in or out and then watch the rest.

The WHOLE ball has to be across the line. The "side" of the ball is included in this, the part which isn't in contact with the ground, ie the ball can be on the line yet the part in contact with the ground is over the line.

I disagree that it was in play, but there's nothing that can be done about it and no amount of moaning will change the course of events which have already unfolded. At the end of the day no-ones' opinions matter except those of the referee and linesmen.

It certainly isnt the yard over the line that Maddo had us believe it was. Its happened now, no doubt we'll get a decision that goes for us in the coming weeks. Time to accept it, learn from it and move on in my opinion.

It certainly isnt the yard over the line that Maddo had us believe it was. Its happened now, no doubt we'll get a decision that goes for us in the coming weeks. Time to accept it, learn from it and move on in my opinion.

Just so everyone is clear and doesn't start the Maddo bashing again his wording was.

"Our friends at sky seem to think it's a yard out of play"

Be6FNIyIgAAwG-f.jpg

Everyone has seen this, and everyone has an opinion on it.

Now watch this:

https://vine.co/v/hDql5zJnbrt

In the first 3 seconds, judge if the ball is in or out and then watch the rest.

The WHOLE ball has to be across the line. The "side" of the ball is included in this, the part which isn't in contact with the ground, ie the ball can be on the line yet the part in contact with the ground is over the line.

I agree with what you're saying but nothing you've posted proves the ball was on the line and not out of play. Your vime thing is irrelevant as firstly it isn't what happened yesterday and secondly unless the angle at the end was exactly 90 degrees to the floor and not greater then part of the ball could still look like it was on the line when in fact it's all beyond it.

None of the footage I've seen proves it either way and it's a pointless discussion anyway as the goal was given and if the referee or his assistant believed it to be out then they'd have called it that way at the time.

Our biggest problem yesterday wasn't the referee, it was once again failing to take chances we created. If we want to achieve anything then we have to sort this part of our game out because we're making things difficult for ourselves.

Regardless of whether the ball is in or out, the team failed to play to the whistle, School Boy ERROR!

Correct, our defence lacked discipline again yesterday, shame because they have been decent on that front for the last few games.

The ball for me is out but as I stated in a previous thread . Why Ayala allowed Nugent the chance to even get that ball Is beyond me he needed to be so much stronger !

And on the people bashing Maddo thing who cares if he pronounces names wrong or if he gets our formation wrong and isn't the " expert summariser " Ali makes him out to be. But he is a passionate Boro fan and you can hear the excitement in his voice when we score and I would much rather listen too a Boro fan on the radio who cares like Maddo than someone who is boring and lacks passion.

......the people bashing Maddo thing who cares if he pronounces names wrong or if he gets our formation wrong and isn't the " expert summariser " Ali makes him out to be. But he is a passionate Boro fan and you can hear the excitement in his voice when we score and I would much rather listen too a Boro fan on the radio who cares like Maddo than someone who is boring and lacks passion.

Agreed 100% - this forum, or elements to it, are in danger of becoming a moaning, sniping, bitter and childish bunch. Over the top digs at the opinions of others as we have seen over the weekend, knocking Maddo who actually has passion for the Boro, constantly on Leadbitters case etc etc. most of the time I can't be bothered anymore. Freedom of speech and opinion is critical, but respect and reasoned arguments are to be admired. Let's not confuse freedom of speech with a licence to say what you want - they are quite different. This may not be the most relevant thread to this, but I'm getting sick of the moaning, groaning and sniping.

To be fair, the moaning groaning and sniping coincided with the one of the worst runs of the reason we're all here. On a forum full of Middlesbrough fans, when Middlesbrough are doing badly there's always going to be frustration and raised tempers. Barring an isolated incident the other night, things are largely on the up here (I'd say anyways).

Agree with you about maddo, he gets a lot of stick he doesn't deserve. He may not match the description of expert summariser, but he is a passionate fan with a good knowledge of the game who contributes a lot to the commentary. I think a lot of the stick comes from the fact that people really liked hignett and weren't happy with him going. If maddo had been there before higgy, I doubt there would have been anywhere near as much criticism for him.

in case anyone cares:

anthony vickers ‏@untypicalboro Jan 25

Aitor Karanka has just used my lappy to review match DVD... ball definitely over the line for opener. Not a happy hamster. #borolive