Boro V Wigan Athletic

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Karanka should have started Adomah ahead of Emnes and Kamara instead of Main. But with the system he used it worked very well as it dealt with Wigan's better players very well. The majority of our chances came from us pressing them and forcing their defenders into mistakes. We had very poor quality on the ball so I don't feel hard done by with a point as we didn't play well at all. Before under Mowbray if we didn't play well we lost whereas now at least we have the solidity to dig in and scrap our way through games like we done today and v Charlton where we got lucky to get 3 points.

Given - 8 - One excellent reflex save and solid as ever.

Varga - 7 - Defended pretty well but got caught out by Beausejour a few times. Should have crossed an easy ball to Main(which he would have probably missed anyway but still) instead of cutting his cross back which went straight to a Wigan player.

Ayala - 7.5 - Defended well but at times he looked nervous on the ball but reverted back to no nonsense football and looked more assured.

Williams - 8 - Done very well before he went off injured.

Friend - 8 - Done very well but struggled with McClean when he came on. Could have had better cover though so he had a very tough task.

Leadbitter - 6.5 - Struggled to get on the ball as Wigan's formation made the midfield a scrap with very little space.

Whitehead - 6 - Struggled and made some very poor decisions on the ball.

Ledesma - 7 - Played pretty well and made a few very good through balls. Was good without the ball.

Emnes - 5.5 - Very poor game and really struggled with their two good holding midfielders nullifying the space.

Carayol - 8.5 - Played very well and had some great runs. Stamina has improved as he sustained his performance for far longer as usually he fades after one half.

Main - 5.5 - Worked hard yes but has the technical ability of a elephant. How he missed his chance I will never know.

Gibson - 7.5 - Done well against some very good attackers. It looks like he has bulked up a bit

Adomah- 7 - Caused Wigan some problems but didn't really get into top gear.

Kamara- N/A

The signs are there at present that this season maybe drawing to an end if we don't get some one in fast.

Who ever is coming in, it better be quick we are starting to drop points that we may regret not having at the end of the season. Our momentum seems to have come to an abrupt stop and we simply cannot afford to drop points at home like last night. I see all the names that you all have been guessing or dreaming will come here but to be quite honest none of them appeal to me.Was hoping AK's connections abroad would bare fruit in the striker department.I also feel that although we have a hard working central midfield possibly a player with more inventiveness would be nice to have around Butters/Emnes/Ledesma/Leadbitter have all gone stale in that department at present.

Good post MM and one I can not disagree with.

Ok we do not have the devine right to win all games especially at home lets face it we normally state before an away game depending on the opposition that we are happy with a road point so the same must apply to visiting teams.

Not much to choose from between Boro and Wigan as this seasons results have shown BUT the need for a "playmaker" and a good "finisher" is emphasised in this type of game where the one goal can be so important.

My opinion about Marvin has changed somewhat because all though we know he CAN perform his usual blaize attitude does not help the team. Rock solid effort and attitude is required each and every game plus knowing that at some point given the chance a bit of magic could very well make the difference.

We are not a stand out team at the moment but one that is becoming harder to beat but with the right injection we could make that next step up and be a team to be feared and "the surprise package"

Good post MM and one I can not disagree with.

Ok we do not have the devine right to win all games especially at home lets face it we normally state before an away game depending on the opposition that we are happy with a road point so the same must apply to visiting teams.

Not much to choose from between Boro and Wigan as this seasons results have shown BUT the need for a "playmaker" and a good "finisher" is emphasised in this type of game where the one goal can be so important.

My opinion about Marvin has changed somewhat because all though we know he CAN perform his usual blaize attitude does not help the team. Rock solid effort and attitude is required each and every game plus knowing that at some point given the chance a bit of magic could very well make the difference.

We are not a stand out team at the moment but one that is becoming harder to beat but with the right injection we could make that next step up and be a team to be feared and "the surprise package"

I disagree about Marvin and a blase attitude. I think he's been putting a shift in, closing down the opposition and making space.

That's not his problem. His problem is quality and decision making on the ball is getting worse and worse. But then each time he got the ball yesterday there was NOTHING on for him but to try going himself and I'm afraid he didn't show too much pace and got bullied far too easily by a strong Wigan team. The one time he did get away he was brought down and the ref didn't give him anything.

He and Main cut very lonely figures last night with Wigan doing a relatively good job of holding Carayol and Ledesma deep and each time either Main or Emnes got the ball there was nothing on for them and they had no understanding between eachother.

Changes needed in those positions very soon.

Wow - glad I missed this one. Between what I've read on here and the BBC match report, it sounds like we played some nice but ineffectual football, going forward and largely won a point through being defensively solid.

Always thought this would be a tough one, but that we might have enough attacking threat to sneak a win. Seems like Wigan came with a game plan to nullify our attacking midfielders, which left us dependent on our strikers... *tries to stifle a laugh*

Fair play to them and I suppose a point isn't so bad. More importantly, we kept another clean sheet and maintained our unbeaten run. Lets hope we manage to do a bit better at Donny.

I actually think Boro are going through their usual january slump albeit no where as bad as previous slumps. Both performances to a degree have shown a weary looking team which again indicates fresh injection and a new impetous needed

Varga done pretty well but he struggled stuggled on a few occasions but he was up against a good winger. I don't think he's our medium to long term solution to RB. No he didn't look noticeably tired.

We've now kept 6 clean sheets in our last 8 games. That kind of defensive record looked impossible before Karanka came in.

I think it is evident Varga can't cope with decent wingers! I think he is a tad too slow!

I don't think we will take him up permanently, long term I think Solly at Chartlon could be a good option, if it is financially viable, he signed a 4 year deal last year!

Varga had his worst game yesterday IMO couldn't cope with the pace of there winger and his postioning wasn't very good, dived in at least twice and gave them a chance to cross the ball in...

I think Karanka should start Omeruo next game as he is more mobile and stronger.