oneBoro Forum

Boro V Wigan Athletic

With our formation of having 2 holding midfielders protecting our CB's it means our full backs have got to be defensively strong as the majority of the oppositions moves aim to exploit our fullbacks. I don't think Varga is solid enough defensively to be able to play there long term as he's starting to get found out that he struggles against pacey direct runners. Also he's noticeably vulnerable in the air.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I think it is evident Varga can't cope with decent wingers! I think he is a tad too slow!

I don't think we will take him up permanently, long term I think Solly at Chartlon could be a good option, if it is financially viable, he signed a 4 year deal last year!

I don't think Varga is slow at all and handled the pace of their winger. I personally think his main problem is his positional sense and concentration. He gets caught ball watching instead of watching the run going on behind him but he does have the pace to recover.

He did have a few shaky moments but got better as the game went on, incidentally by being quite niggly with their winger. One thing to consider is that with Varga at right back we've only conceded goals against Hull, a Premier league side, and Leicester, the top team in this division. When we dropped Varga from right back we conceded 2 goals vs Bolton.

His biggest weakness is height and I don't know if anyone else noticed, but I think Karanka moved Ayala on to the right side of the defence to provide aerial coverage for that weakness. Previous I believe varga has been on the left side of the defence when playing with Williams - correct me if I am wrong as I'm not certain of this.

I think it is evident Varga can't cope with decent wingers! I think he is a tad too slow!

I don't think we will take him up permanently, long term I think Solly at Chartlon could be a good option, if it is financially viable, he signed a 4 year deal last year!

I don't think Varga is slow at all and handled the pace of their winger. I personally think his main problem is his positional sense and concentration. He gets caught ball watching instead of watching the run going on behind him but he does have the pace to recover.

He did have a few shaky moments but got better as the game went on, incidentally by being quite niggly with their winger. One thing to consider is that with Varga at right back we've only conceded goals against Hull, a Premier league side, and Leicester, the top team in this division. When we dropped Varga from right back we conceded 2 goals vs Bolton.

His biggest weakness is height and I don't know if anyone else noticed, but I think Karanka moved Ayala on to the right side of the defence to provide aerial coverage for that weakness. Previous I believe varga has been on the left side of the defence when playing with Williams - correct me if I am wrong as I'm not certain of this.

That's a fair point Starbuy. I think Varga is on the whole a very solid Chamionship full back. He practices defensive duties first and foremost. I'm trying to think who we have had as RB over recent years who was better? McMahon is not as good as him overall, Williams has never really operated the RB role. Just a general query, who has been a decent RB at Boro since Luke Young?

I actually thought he stook to his task much better than he did against Charlton, where I felt he was woeful