oneBoro Forum

We're definitely going to benefit when Tomlin's in the side as we will have someone who can naturally play that second striker role and play it damn well. Currently everything comes from our wingers. We very VERY rarely play through the middle. Tomlin will help us offer that penetration and make us more unpredictable as the opposition players will know that the ball isn't going to the wingers every single time!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't agree with MMC's initial sentiments about feeling like we'd lost. I thought Blackburn were well organised, particularly through the centre. We didn't put enough pressure on their centre halfs and although we had joy down the left flank in particular and we were dominant in possession, we had few genuine goal scoring opportunities.

I'm going to write an article tomorrow if I get the time.

I agree we didn't put enough pressure on their CB's but I think Karanka knew Graham didn't have the match fitness that he wants to press CB's like we have under him but nevertheless wanted to start him there so decided to play Leadbitter behind him to take some of the workload off Graham(occasionally Leadbitter was ahead of Graham closing down CB's with graham retreated) and also to add a bit of solidity against Blackburn's narrow midfield.

Today our tactics were different to recent home games as Chalobah had much more of a license to leave his DM area, Friend bombed on far more, Leadbitter played more of an industrious role behind the central striker than our #10 normally does and Graham didn't press nowhere near as much as our central striker normally does.

I'm not necessarily talking about literal pressure but having the ball at the strikers feet in and around the 18 yard box. That's where goals are scored. As I said we had joy down the left with Carayol who was fantastic and Friend who was very productive in advanced areas, but we didn't have enough possession of the football in the dangerous areas around the front of the goal.

I have to give Blackburn credit for recognising that we score much of our goals by stretching teams wide and exploiting the space through the centre. They stayed tight through the middle and restricted our wingers to crosses; something both Carayol, Ledesma and Adomha are not all that comfortable or accomplished with. Ironically Carayol in particular put in some great balls...Maybe on another day we might have got on the end of one or two but Blackburn did their homework and I think that worth recognising.

We probed and we were by far the better team, but Blackburn work end hard and were tactically aware of out threats.

I can't wait to see what Tomlin can do in a Boro shirt. I hate the saying, but, 'on paper', he is exactly what we need. Everything might - I stress might - click with him in the team. We're really not that far from a very very strong team, even with the current injuries.

My only big worry is the imminent loss of Given. I do still have a lot of faith in Steele - an awful lot. But there's no comparison between the two.

I hope so Humpty.

What I would say is that, even when Given isn't having to make saves, his control and communication with the back 4 is a massive part of the solidity we have at the moment. Also probably the faith that the defenders have in him; diffuses any air of panic and instils a lot of confidence in the players and ultimately their play.

But Steele is an excellent keeper. That's no exaggeration. So I'm hopeful.

I'm also hopeful that the boo boys don't get on his back when he returns. It doesn't matter how well he plays in that respect, to some extent. If he concedes one goal from an unstoppable screamer a few fans will be on his back straight away. Such is the fickle nature of the football fan!

I can't wait to see what Tomlin can do in a Boro shirt. I hate the saying, but, 'on paper', he is exactly what we need. Everything might - I stress might - click with him in the team. We're really not that far from a very very strong team, even with the current injuries.

My only big worry is the imminent loss of Given. I do still have a lot of faith in Steele - an awful lot. But there's no comparison between the two.

I agree about tomlin making a difference. Our striker gets isolated in the system we play and from what I've seen of tomlin he likes to get up and support the striker more than what we have had in the past

Most of what i thought of the game has already been said, we were the better team, we would have won the game easily if we could have put a chance away, Danny graham looked isoled and therefore it was easier for Blackburn to defend against.

I disagree with you Humty, yes Graham didn't get much action but we had so many golden opportunities to score. It felt like a loss because we were utterly dominant for the first half and the better team for much of the second. It felt like a loss as we had all the chances and more to win the game twice over.

Either way was just nice to see us put together a far improved performance than against Doncaster.