oneBoro Forum

I disagree with you Humty, yes Graham didn't get much action but we had so many golden opportunities to score. It felt like a loss because we were utterly dominant for the first half and the better team for much of the second. It felt like a loss as we had all the chances and more to win the game twice over.

Either way was just nice to see us put together a far improved performance than against Doncaster.

Which is it then?

What I was disappointed with most. Was that we had so much possession of the ball, but we didn't manage to create enough quality opportunities. There were a lot of half chances which could've been converted but not one that really stands out as a golden opportunity. I put that down to Blackburn keeping it tight and defending that area in front of the box very well.

It's something to build on and maybe the type of game where that extra but if craft was necessary. I thought Leadbitter was instrumental in pulling the strings from the advanced position he played but he's a playmaker not a number 10. He starts moves, he doesn't have that little bit of 'Merson magic'' you need in that position to create golden chances.

I'm putting a lot of stock in Tomlin bring that creative force that gives us a primary point if attack through the centre. We'll become a more dynamic team if he is the player we think is. Fingers crossed.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because we had golden opportunities doesn't mean that Graham had them!

By golden opportunities I mean Chalobah's header in the opening minutes which came from a corner from Carayol's close range drive. I'm chatting about the further 2 Carayol drives from the edge of the box which forced good saves, the George friend shot which was denied by a last ditch block, the Gibson header that was well save and the Woodgate header just wide when Robinson was stranded. I'm talking about the goalmouth scramble 1 or 2 yards out, Carayol being played clean through on goal and just not finishing, Adomah slamming a long range shot towards the roof of the net which was palmed over and countless pressure to match these opportunities. We had so many opportunities to score, and good ones too, that when the game came to a close it felt like a loss. They offered nothing, barring one shot which Shay Given saved, we offered plenty and should have won this game convincingly given the chances we had.

I agree that Leadbitter pulls the strings, and despite him being played out of position, he had a very good match and his tireless tracking down and defending from the front kept their defenders on their toes and ensured they punted the ball up aimlessly or out for a throw on many occasions. I think Leadbitter isn't bad going forwards, but he's best surging from deep and picking a pass or having a drive. He doesn't suit that number 10 role as well, which is why I'm eagerly anticipating Tomlin's introduction to the team and seeing him play alongside Leadbitter and Chalobah (who looked a lot better than Whitehead IMO).

I've never done ratings before so here goes...

Given - 7, Not a lot to judge him on really. When called upon as ever came up with the stop needed.

Varga - 6, He's a good solid right back but lacks intent when he gets forward. Made an error which almost cost us.

Gibson - 8, Thought he was solid at the back, looks to have a big future for us if this form continues. I like how vocal he is towards the other defenders. Very good.

Woodgate - 7, Again, solid as he needed to be, majority of the time he oozes class although nearly cost us when playing the ball out of the defence once. Between him and the other 3 at the back really restricted Blackburn to scraps.

Friend - 9, An almost perfect fullback display. I think it was the most complete display I've seen from him. Got forward and offered the overlap for Muzzy countless times, although this didn't affect his defending. His positioning was near perfect.

Whitehead - 5, I'm not sure about Deano, he doesn't offer to much for me. Made a few errors yesterday, scuffed passes etc. Defensively he's pretty solid but going forward I think he hinders our play. I would seriously start to think about dropping him for home games, but a good solid player to come in away from home.

Chalobah - 7, a good start imo. Looks confident on the ball, always seemed to want the ball. Had a good chance early on with a header. I think him and Leadbitter would make a good partnership in this slightly withdrawn role.

Leadbitter - 7, I'm not sure he can play the position he was asked to yesterday. I think he's more suited to a CM or DM role and as above I think he's got the engine to make runs into the box. Can't fault him for effort though.

Ledesma - 6.5, It was one of his off days today, not sure how much of that can be blamed on him though as our play seemed to be focused down the left. Tracked back well on occasions to help Varga.

Carayol - 9, I couldn't decide between him and Friend. All that was missing was a goal that he would have deserved. Ran himself into the ground. He tore the RB to shreds time and time again in the first half. His final ball has improved immensely recently. Very, very good performance from him.

Graham - 7, Looked isolated up top on own but gave it his all. What I did notice when attacking the South Stand (Where I sit) his movement was brilliant and within a couple of weeks or so once the 3 behind him get an understanding he'll be very useful for us. Never really got a chance infront of goal.

Subs:

Main - 5, Missed what looked like was a golden chance from my seat. Gave away a few silly free kicks.

Adomah - 6.5, the game had changed by the time he came on, once again his crossing was good. Really do miss him starting atm.

Kei - 6, Won a few headers, but frustratingly caught offside a few times after coming on.

All in all, it was a better display we just couldn't find that finishing touch (Again!). The performance yesterday gave me a lot of encouragement going forward. We created a lot and once the understanding between Graham and the 3 AM's develops we'll be ok. It was a frustrating day really but the positives were: we were exceptionally solid again, we did create some good chances and once we have Albert back we will start to pick up. Once Tomlin is back i'd really consider dropping Whitehead and playing Leadbitter deeper with Tomlin behind Graham.

Hope I never bored anyone with another rating post!

Thanks to all the guys who gave match reports very grateful for all your contributions and whilst I will be watching the next 2 Boro games live will ask, due to all the similar comments about Dean Whitehead ,would Butterfield be a better option for Karanka's "el rapido" system?

In fact is there a el rapido attitude now from the players in terms of getting the ball forward?

Just home, flying to Newcastle is about 100000 times better than the ferry to Scotland. 2nd 0-0 in the last 3 games I've been to though, but it was far from a boring match, could have beat them 2 or 3 nil on another day but that's the way it goes sometimes

Oh and this "big screen" instead of the two electronic scoreboards... I personally fail to see the point. It would be nice if it had match stats or just a constant view of the match, but why is it just a Ramsdens advertisement half of the time?

Oh and this "big screen" instead of the two electronic scoreboards... I personally fail to see the point. It would be nice if it had match stats or just a constant view of the match, but why is it just a Ramsdens advertisement half of the time?

Cos they paid for it. The screen is actually a revenue generator as well as supposedly improving the 'matchday experience'.

Screen does a fair job, although it does show plenty of adverts. Provides something to watch prematch and at halftime. Also ensured the move of red faction into the South Stand, vastly improving the atmosphere and moved away fans from behind the goal. All in all I think the screen has vastly improved the matchday experience.

Tbf the screen does have an almost constant view if the match, highlights of boro goals when (If) They happen, other teams scores at halftime etc. I think it's pretty good myself.

Every time I looked over it seemed to show Kei Kamara holding a gold bar or whatever it was. Would have preferred them to leave the electronic scoreboards up as well.

It is better than no big screen, and the new layout of the seating is far better than it used to be

Did anyone else notice(that match report did) how incredibly slow Woodgate looked when a Blackburn player(Dunn?) nicked the ball off him(probably should have been a foul but still) and ran side by side with Woodgate and blitzed him for pace(despite not going fast) and got past him with ease and needed Gibson to intervene?. It got me worried that his legs may have totally gone.

i think woody,s legs(distinct lack of pace) were suspect a few seasons ago when pulis had a bizarre brainstorm and decided to play him at right back for stoke .... inevitably he was skinned good and proper and this was highlighted by those experts ( ahum ) on MOTD .

he,s deffo in his twilight years now and we,re probably using him sensibly

a) in the real only positional option ....and

b) whern possible rest him from games now and then

having said all that hes still got that vital bit of class and know-how which still makes him a player who ,for the next 18 months or so . should be an integral part of the first team .