oneBoro Forum

Boro V Watford (A) 0-1

Graham was never going to fit into our system. He needs chances on a plate. We needed a striker who could create his own chances and then take them.

We needed both.

I would have loved both but only a workhorse type number 9 would fit in our current system unless we started playing with two strikers. A more clinical and confident Jutkiewicz would have been ideal because he works quite hard but sadly that wasn't to be.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Id really like to see us play 4-2-2-2. It still allows the two CDM's and the two wide players but provides the strikers with more support for one another. I seem to get the impression that we just look isolated up top with one man and dont seem to create many chances. We are far more solid which is positive, but in being solid we seem to be lacking our cutting edge. Even so, its not the end of the world. Its providing a good platform to build from so when we start scoring we wont lose as many games as we wont concede less ;)

Osario

Varga-Omeruo-Woodgate-Friend

Chalabah-Whitehead

Adomah (Wide) - Carayol (Wide)

Tomlin - Graham.

Tomlin dropping deep to get the balls with Graham on the last man. Thats what i would try and do, but then again im not a football manager :P

Did i really just type 'Tomlin dropping deep to get the balls with Graham' #LongDay

Graham won't work for the chances and in this system, you can't have a player who is just going to stand around and hope the ball will fall infront of him. It's simply not going to work.

kris boyd proved this a couple of years back

Thing about is, it should have worked. We had 2 up top. Skippy who works and Boyd who feeds off of those who work.

This is different, when you play one up top, you need either the first to bring the midfield into play or you need a combination of the 2.

I'm happy with the formation, strategy and progress under Karanka. I wouldn't change much of that. What I'm not happy with is the lack of goals at the moment, obviously! If Graham can find anything close to his best form and Tomlin can come in and do what I know he's capable of, then we'll have a good remainder of the season. Big if though, naturally. And a push for the playoffs is a very unlikely now too. But if we can get our act together, it bodes well for next season and I'm excited to see which players AK has in mind to bring in in the summer.

Disappointing result today. But a tough fixture. And, given the pros vs cons, I'm still upbeat about the future.

I didn't go so can't really say too much about the game but the one pleasing thing was that late on Karanka was very bold with his substitutions and formation which seemed to have worked as the players were fully motivated with many running themselves out of energy trying desperately for a equaliser.

Since Karanka has took charge we've only conceded a tiny amount of goal in open play(and even set pieces after the early regular lapses when he took charge). Defensively our team knows very well what Karanka asks of them but a few individuals(players below the first team are still prone to very costly mistakes like Ben Gibson again away from home which is always to be expected from due to his inexperience. Attacking wise our team doesn't function as well as it does defensively so that is going to take Karanka time to find the right balance as he has just signed a new #9 who was short of match fitness and a #10 who's has been suspended for 3 games. This summer he will have far more options so I'm excited about next season even if we fail to get promoted this season(as expected). I do think this towards the end of each season though :p

I remember McClaren always going on about a "platform" which irritated me immensely as I wanted us to play gung-ho football and score 3 goals and hope the opposition score less than us but towards the end of Mowbray's reign, where we shipped goals for fun did I realise the importance of what McClaren was saying. So I'm pleased now that, despite a few disappointing draws/defeat at least now under Karanka we have a platform(foundations) in place to be a very good side to be able to defend our way out of this division next season which is the route that many teams have took in the past.

I think the problem is, Karanka is trying to implement a system that doesn't really work with certain players we have at the club. Obvious example being Leadbitter.

I guess he is trying to build a system and slot players into it - but that is a slow process for me. We should be working with what we have and looking to build something short-term as well.