oneBoro Forum

Boro V Watford (A) 0-1

Hi Guys

My Take. As I predicted it was a very tight game in which we started very poorly offensively and in our passing which gave you some confidence. As people on the forum predicted, you would use the wings and although there was not an abundance of end product Adomah had me worried quite a few times.

Fernando Forestieri is a very tricky player but Gibson was silly. Even more so to even up the numbers after Diakite made probably the worst full debut I've ever seen.

Sannino has tried, and succeeded, to make us very hard to beat and after the sending offs it was ploy to let you have plenty of the ball, set up our banks of 4 and say come on, come and have a go. It worked.

To say we did absolutely nothing the entire match is laughable. Look at the stats. Indeed we had clearer chances than you on the break ways in the 2nd half and should really have put the game to bed.

Like you, we are a team/squad that should be doing better. I believe we will challenge for 6th spot and you should not give up also although I do feel you need to address things in the scoring dept. Tomlin should help you in this respect but DG looks as though he is carrying a bit of timber and looks far from the exciting player that made him the championship top scorer when with us.

Good luck for the rest of the season especially against Leeds, Ipswich, Forest,Brighton, Derby and Reading.

What's your thoughts on your team flopping around at any opportunity and time wasting from the 70th minute?

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

My Take. As I predicted it was a very tight game in which we started very poorly offensively and in our passing which gave you some confidence. As people on the forum predicted, you would use the wings and although there was not an abundance of end product Adomah had me worried quite a few times.

Fernando Forestieri is a very tricky player but Gibson was silly. Even more so to even up the numbers after Diakite made probably the worst full debut I've ever seen.

Sannino has tried, and succeeded, to make us very hard to beat and after the sending offs it was ploy to let you have plenty of the ball, set up our banks of 4 and say come on, come and have a go. It worked.

To say we did absolutely nothing the entire match is laughable. Look at the stats. Indeed we had clearer chances than you on the break ways in the 2nd half and should really have put the game to bed.

Like you, we are a team/squad that should be doing better. I believe we will challenge for 6th spot and you should not give up also although I do feel you need to address things in the scoring dept. Tomlin should help you in this respect but DG looks as though he is carrying a bit of timber and looks far from the exciting player that made him the championship top scorer when with us.

Good luck for the rest of the season especially against Leeds, Ipswich, Forest,Brighton, Derby and Reading.

Tbf we can't complain if Watford did the intelligent thing and got a goal and then defended it knowing fine well that we're not exactly rattling them in for fun atm.

If we'd nicked a goal and then setup to be hard to breakdown it would have been a "classic away performance."

We'll stuff Leeds on Saturday and whitehead'll put McCormack on cruches and this past month will seem like a bad dream.

PS. Ive never liked watford as they were my bogie team on championship manager 97/98 ;) but good luck for the rest of the season

Middlesbrough FC ‏@Boro 1m

AITOR POST WATFORD: "I am angry and frustrated. We keep making mistakes and maybe some players think they are better than they are."

Very interesting and very worrying at the same time..

Indeed.

Again, pleased to see Karanka not afraid to give a thinly-veiled kick up the backside. I'm sure one or two of the lads deserved it.

In fairness, from the radio commentary, it didn't sound like we were that short on effort - just quality. Lots of running around but little end product (ready to stand corrected, as always).

Feel like I'm saying this for the millionth time, but we just need players with a bit more intelligence and awareness, who can make those telling passes, or make more of goalscoring chances, when they come their way.

Really disappointed to lose to Watford as it didn't seem as though they were any better than us. Got the penalty and that was it. Other than that we were defensively solid, but yet again toothless up front.

As others have said, think the best we can do is just grin and bear the rest of this season and see what happens in the summer.

AR, from where I was it seemed we had some players who were busting a gut to perform for us and Karanka. And others seemed like they were there just to do what they want (Ledesma, Adomah, Carayol - Harsh on AA and MC, with injuries and whatnot but they did look pretty poor imo. Weak shots, poor crosses, couldn't really beat their men consistently).

Ledesma was absolutely vile.

Also RE: Graham. He did look off the pace yes, but to be fair to be him he hardly had the greatest time at Hull and hardly played for the last 2 months of his loan so I think it's fair enough that he's lacking a bit of sharpness. I'd lost my motivation for the game if I was treated like that.

Look, from I've seen in home games the set up could work - I just think the people we have just do not work with the system. I'm not a great theorist on systems and set ups and feel this sometimes detracts rom the point, but sometimes we just have to look at the obvious - lots of crosses raining in and one man in the box covered by two CBs. Emnes never bust a gut to support the loan man, Butterfield just doesn't seem at the races - Carayol, Ledesma and Adomah all play out wide and do not come central on instinct and it is too much to ask Leadbitter to cover this role. Let's hope our man Tomlin is the answer - he must be a stone lighter now lol. Without some support for the lone front man we will never score and that is what the last month or two has shown us - we are pretty but ineffective going forward. Not being negative, but telling it as I see it.

Hi Guys

What's your thoughts on your team flopping around at any opportunity and time wasting from the 70th minute?

Flopping around, time wasting? I didn't think we were particularly guilty of either although I do understand your frustration. It must have been hard to watch, having all that possession near the end, being hopeful but not really confident your team were going to score.

I'd be interested to know what examples of 'flopping around' you can give? We gave away 13 fouls and you were adjudged to have committed 10. Maybe you're referring to a couple near you which seemed to get the away fans riled when forestieri was fouled right in front of the linesman. He is a very skilful player and often draws fouls as he also did with the Pen. He is just that bit too quick for a lot of players particularly in a 1 on 1 situation.

Time wasting - I think the above player got booked when he chipped the keeper and apart from that I don't think the ref had to hurry us once. We certainly didn't rush to restart but neither would you or any other team given the circumstances. You may have been happier if we had put away one our chances on the break away.

As I said, I sympathise with your frustration but it's not as if you can say it's different from a lot of games. If you really want to see frustrating, look at the stats from out home games V Yeovil, Sheff Wed and Reading.