oneBoro Forum

Boro V Watford (A) 0-1

Well, the season is over now. We just have to see the rest of the season as pre season. I do think Tomlin will work as the effective number 10 - but to be honest I think 1 up fron at home is poor to watch and offers a poor dividend. Juke goes to Bolton and scores - I admit he missed sitters here - but I think we need to test the season out with some more offensive strategies. We have nothing to lose - we ain't going up and are unlikely to go down. Let's start with a bit of flair and kicking Leeds backsides to lift morale - five games without scoring - terrible.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Prowler. It's possible to play 2 up top and play far more negative football than 1 up top. Just like under McClaren we normally started 4-4-2 but we played far more negative than Mowbray's 4-5-1. One striker generally means midfielders will be given more freedom to contribute to goals and isn't negative tactics as the dinosaurs that ring up BBC Tees complaining about whenever we fail to win like to think.

Yeah, when you play the formation we do. You generally expect the 3 behind the striker to be getting double figures along with the guy up top.

Adomah and Carayol are both well on the way to do this, hopefully Tomlin will also be able to contribute a good amount of goals as well.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Tomlin can be key to adding our cutting edge as that #10 role is massively important in our set up as the majority of our moves start up through them. If he can replicate what he did at Peterborough then he should be a great player for us.

I can see us losing Adomah to a PL club if he continues to perform well, Graham has managed 1 goal in about a year and Tomlin has a penchant for red cards - he should fit in well with the current squad!

I can see us having a clear out in the close season but we still have little to no money to invest...

If recent form is anything to go by then Carayol will be the one player that will attract interest as he is far more of a dynamic tricky winger that usually catches PL eyes. Whereas Adomah has faded recently.

Either way, we're a vendor club now and about half of our first team are loans. We might get reasonable offers for Juke and 1 or 2 others if they continue to play well for the rest of the season....but nothing likely to allow us to make any major purchases.

If we let Carayol and Adomah go, would we be in a position to replace them with better players for the money?

The one player I'm now convinced about, despite his hype is Ledesma as he is consistently inconsistent if there is ever such a description. I'd be happy if a club came in willing to pay decent money for him in the summer as over the course of a season he isn't the sort of player you can rely on to produce good performances which you need to be promoted.