oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Leeds 0-0

How much do you love Grant Leadbitter?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you love Grant Leadbitter?

• Proper loads
    • i'd give him the last bite of me Parmo
    • He has better hair than George Friend

Middlesbrough_crest_old.png8960971.jpg?263

The Boro Vs Leeds United

We've got previous...

Everyone has a Leeds memory. Some good. Some bad. Some hilarious. Leeds evoke different emotions in all Boro fans and for some this is the epitome of the local rivalry. Here's a look back at some of my own memorable moments...

92-93 Premier League - Boro 4 - 1 Leeds - Ayresome Park

Our first season in the inaugural Premier League and we stuffed the Champions 4-1. This was also my earliest memory of Leeds and what a memory to start with. The Leeds line up was dripping with talent. Eric Cantona, Lee Chapman, Gary McCallister, David Batty, Gary Speed and a Mr G Strachan sat on the bench. We ran riot or more to the point John Hendrie did.

I don't remember a lot other than asking my dad when we played them next because i liked it when we scored lots of goals!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXO6X2_zYKXcD46MPNNIxODI8UGJyCYcXhLEPdwCA5XHlE2tuCuw

95-96 Premier League - Boro 1 - 1 Leeds - Riverside Stadium

The Little Fella's debut. A first glimpse of utter genius. Dazzling displays of trickery and vision like Nostradamus, but enough about Brian Deane today was all about a little Brazilian from Sao Paulo. If truth be told, Juninho struggled to cope with the physical demands of this game, but we saw flashes of what was to come. An immaculate through ball to Jan Aage Fjortoft got the ball rolling and the rest is history.

If truth be told i only realised we'd drawn this game in the car on the way home. The little boys room was calling my name just on half time and Deane equalised whilst i was having a little tinkle. The little tinker!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRm_dCTiTQ-qaTl7KSYRBImeURm6tJ1gHXlBxflPqSenMNaiWTEwQ

96-97 Premier League - Leeds 1 - 1 Boro - Elland Road

Tears abound. Not just from TLF, but me and countless others. Leeds relegated us (along with the FA) and it's still hard to take. Boro legend Brian Deane (him again!) put Leeds 1-0 up after 77 minutes and we all knew with the way results were going that it wasn't going to be a happy ending. Juninho equalised but it was too little too late.

I couldn't get a ticket for this game and had to make do with watching at home with my dad... as Deane scored the tears started to flow and i had to use a cushion to save my blushes. I can remember it like yesterday....it was a soft red cushion with those little red frilly tassels, it made the living room look divine, sumptuous and comfortable all at the same time. A truly remarkable feat by my mother. Top marks for interior design.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbTSE6Q3UUMiCZ3bu-mzdVKuFHgSzLgs8lLS5gNo5sBSyCguvUfw

03-04 Premier League - Leeds 0 - 3 Boro - Elland Road

Oh what a day to remember. We ran riot. Leeds were in free fall. The start of a golden age on Teesside. It absolutely tossed it down. With Elland Road being the hole it is...there were literally thousands of them everywhere (holes that is) and mostly in the roof. Luckily for the most of the group one friend had decided to meet us in our seat after drinking one too many beers and needing a trip to the little boys room first. Unluckily for him one seat was directly below the biggest hole you've ever seen. Japanese water torture at its best.

Strangely enough we arrived to find that we'd been sat next to the disabled Leeds seating area...strange but we thought nothing of it.

On going 1 nil up and E I O ing like Elland Road was one big trampoline the Leeds disabled section erupted. One in particular was giving my mate (the ne sat under the hole in the roof) absolute dogs abuse. To make things even funnier she was the spit of big mo from Eastenders and she would not leave our mate alone. A great day.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRf_K9E0NgvRAu91vxihUXHKJvCD8DCdCEnjuBXZ4A6LW75Ng-0

Team News

The Boro

• Lee Tomlin returns from suspension after his move from Peterborough but is unlikely to start the game due to Karanka's selection policy,
  • No movement from long term injury casualties Rhys Williams and Daniel Ayala,
  • Jason Steele is back in full training but unlikely to start due to Shay Given's form,
  • Ben Gibson misses the game through suspension and
  • Thomas Meijas is available for selection following his transfer from Real Madrid.

Leeds United

• Cameron Stewart is available again following what Leeds are calling a 'loan break' it allows them to use their 93 days as they see fit,
  • No suspensions however Warnock is on 4 yellow cards and facing a ban if he picks up another during our game,
  • Update to follow closer to the game.

grant.png

Anticipated line ups . . .

Dirty Leeds

It's thought Leeds are likely to line up as follows, however there's a feeling that Brown may come in to the line up in place of the inexperienced Mowatt to ensure they keep their dirty Leeds tag alive and well.

Matt Smith is also a possible option up front alongside McCormack and may come in in place of Kebe. Pugh looks likely to lose his place.

The Boro

With injuries and suspensions the only available partnership at the centre of defence is Omeruo and Woodgate.

The main decision rests on whether to include Tomlin following his suspension. There's also question regarding which two wide men will start on the flanks.

170214132332.png170214215537.png

View from Yorkshire. . .

Peter Lorimer fancies Leeds chances of picking up three points at the Riverisde...

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/peter-lorimer-says-boro-game-6729138

Topics for discussion . . .

• I'd like to hear accounts of your own Leeds memories and experiences, and
  • Does Tomlin start the game? Is he the missing link?
  • Do you start Leadbitter and Whitehead as your defensive two, to stop McCormack when he drifts deeper?
  • Are their alternative central defensive partnerships?
  • Will their be any Yorkshire puddings left on Teesside come Sunday?
  • Will Kamara feature or should he?
  • Should Karanka change formation?
  • Is Varga a weak link? Particularly aerially?
  • Predictions?

Is this worth a try?

[video=youtube]

In my view i think it's important we stop McCormack playing. Stop him and you stop Leeds. I'd play the experienced duo of Whitehead and Leadbitter in front of the back four and deny McCormack that space he thrives on in front of the defence. I'd risk Tomlin at number 10 purely because we've been so ineffective in that area. We've not scored in 5 games for god sake it must worth a try!!

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was in the sports bar in centre Parcs when we played Leeds and got relegated, on full time I promptly punted a chair across the bar and got shouted at by my mam and spent the remainder of the day sat in the lodge to "think about what I did," I cried for a bit, partly coz we'd been relegated and partly coz my mam shouted at me in a bar packed full of people. I was only 10 at the time so I went out the back and kicked a ball around till they came back for me. All in all a great holiday....

Anyway 2-1 to boro McCormack to score all 3!!!!

I definitely think Tomlin will be playing, he's been training with the squad for 3 weeks so it's not exactly throwing him in at the deep end (well he will have been by Saturday anyway) and AK is struggling to find anyone else who is effective in that position.

I'd have Leadbitter alongside Whitehead with Chalobah on the bench also. The young lad from Chelski has looked good but we need more experienced heads out there against a team like Leeds in my view.

I'd love to see Kei play, but where would you put him? If not up front the only real place is on the right, but Adomah is the more natural wide-man. I honestly can only see him warming the bench for the rest of the year unless Graham is dropped/injured/suspended.

I'd have Leadbitter and Chabolah as we pose more threat going forward. Bring whitehead on if (a very big if) we go ahead and need to slow/stop play. And have Butterfield/Tomlin behind Graham. I've got a feeling we'll click today and turn these guy over. They've been very very average with sporadic bouts of luck since mid December. But as always McCormack will be a threat.

We can't have Chalobah, Tomlin and Graham in the squad, if Given, Varga and Omeruo play. Those 3 will play, as we need them in defence, unless Ak brings in either Hines or Steele, so one of the former 3 will be left out due to the loan rules (we can't stick our new keeper on the bench either). Personally I would drop Given and bring in Steele, with this formation, as Leadbitter is absolutely useless as an attacking threat!

-----------Steele-----------------

Varga----Omeruo-----Woodgate----Friend

--------Chalobah----Leadboots-------

---------------Tomlin---------------

Adomah------Graham--------Carayol

subs Dimi, Butterfield, Ledesma, Hines, Kamara, Whitehead, Main.

I don't think AK will drop Given, though, so we'll probably end up with Tomlin or Chalobah missing out. Hopefully Whitehead will come in for Chalobah and Tomlin will prove the critics wrong, I can't see us scoring without a decent number 10 performance.

I wouldn't be able to predict the result without knowing the line-up, let's just say it won't be a high scoring game.

We simply have to score in what is now THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON..................so far!

I can see Tomlin being used because of the unknown factor he will pose because Leeds will not have been able to monitor his play due to his suspension.

We have done well on live Sky broadcasts recently so hopefully it will continue and we owe Leeds a Boro win due to the last time we played them at Elland Road.........I dislike teams doing the double over us.

If we can score we will win I honestly believe that and what a good time and game it will be to finally stop the rot.

Humpty great first effort I have to say well done deserves a win imo!