oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Leeds 0-0

How much do you love Grant Leadbitter?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you love Grant Leadbitter?

• Proper loads
    • i'd give him the last bite of me Parmo
    • He has better hair than George Friend

Youd think for the money that they are on they would be able to be match fit after a period away from a game. For 15k a week, id do nothing but get match fit to play. I sometimes get the impression that footballers are too well pampered and protected these days

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Except the whole point of being match fit is that you can only really gain that fitness in a match. If you don't play for a while you'll lose that sharpness and will have to regain your match fitness when you start playing again.

It's not even always fitness as much as it is mental fitness. Reaction times, thinking ahead of the play, that sort of thing.

It's not something that can be gained off the field.

I appreciate that there is a difference, but the guy has been out for three games and hasn't even been injured. That really shouldn't mean that he is unable to play for 90 mins.

Fitness is very grey area. It's about being fit for purpose. Not neccessarily fit in the old fashioned sense of the word. Brunners has the right idea. It's about being mentally sharp after an hour, being able to anticipate a pass, assessing the pace of the game from the first minute etc. He's been out for three of our games and he's still trying to adapt to the pace at which we play as well as the new players around him and different way they play.

The only way he's going to achieve all that is by playing games. Whether thats coming on after an hour or starting the game and then being brought off later on is all down to Karanka's best judgement.

I appreciate that there is a difference, but the guy has been out for three games and hasn't even been injured. That really shouldn't mean that he is unable to play for 90 mins.

Except it does. If you stop playing for 3 weeks competitively, when you come back you can be as fit as a fiddle but chances are you'll look sluggish, off the pace, your vision to pick out a pass won't be as good because you're not thinking as quickly.

That's only stuff that can be honed in a match setting and it's things that get blunt and start deteriorating very quickly.

Except it does. If you stop playing for 3 weeks competitively, when you come back you can be as fit as a fiddle but chances are you'll look sluggish, off the pace, your vision to pick out a pass won't be as good because you're not thinking as quickly.

That's only stuff that can be honed in a match setting and it's things that get blunt and start deteriorating very quickly.

This.

I think he was trying to point out the difference between physical fitness and "match sharpness", which is more about anticipation, awareness, speed of thought etc. which you can't really replicate on training. Well, you can to an extent, but because there isn't the same pressure as a competitive match, it can be difficult to get the right mindset.

As to training in general, I suppose it spossible to overtrain as well, meaning you can go into matches with soreness, strains and general niggles that mean you're not at 100%, so you have to strike a balance.

I guess it also depends on whether the club has you on the right training regime. Questions have been asked of Boro's training before, due to the alarming ease and regularity with which some of our players seem to pick up injuries.

Northern Echo predicted teams for tomorrow

2884920.jpg

Subs

Boro Steele (gk), Hines, Butterfield, Ledesma, Main, Kamara, Tomlin.

Leeds Cairns (gk), Peltier, Wootton, Brown, Tonge, Hunt, Smith.

Prediction: 1-1

Expect the opposite :P

It can affect your sharpness yes. But it shouldnt affect your ability to last 90 mins