oneBoro Forum

Article on former Boro Youth Kyle Oliver

He struggled due to Jamie Clapham, he decided that because Oliver wasnt to be retained he wasnt in 'the right frame of mind' and dropped him from the U21 starting xi after being in it all season. He then suffered a knee injury in training and left the club just as he was regaining fitness.

I believe a few trials at league clubs happened, but its a time when hundreds of young pro's and scholars are looking so its hard hard times.

Ah right, didn't know about the Clapham / being released stuff.

Seems like a shame as I did hear some good things about him. Fair play to him for taking that drop though, shows a real desire to just play football.

Cheers Powlay.

I always liked Kyle and I think I first noticed him at Leeds. His initial control of a ball was extraordinary. It was almost like he got a pass and could have played it again immediately.

He was an instinctive defender and good at it but not quite tall enough to play centre back. We had a look at him in midfield but he seemed to struggle to see a pass or bring another player into the game despite being capable of doing so. This dithering meant that players were able to regain their defensive positions and so it was not a role for him.

Those wonderful feet giving such quick and perfect control will live long in my memory