oneBoro Forum

Karanka's Strange Decisions.

No offence taken. but we're going in circles now :p shall we fundamentally agree to fundamentally disagree... fundamentally of course :D

No worries :D

Whitey, I don't think any of us can hazard a guess which team will play on Saturday yet. JB may keep his place after all.

Steele; Kenneth, Woody, Gibbo, Gorgeous; Grant, JB, Tomlin, Albert, Manny (or Muzzy), Graham.

Wednesday are so rank in midfield that I see no reason for a Chalobah or Whitehead. Get at them, and play this and the remaining games like a practice match and try and smash teams up. Nothing to lose, but perhaps plenty to gain?

Wednesday are dangerous from set pieces, and the lad Maguire is a talent. Other than that, there's little to see.

No matter the XI selected, I expect Boro to end the drought.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I'm a big fan of Karanka, and a big fan of the 4-3-2-1 that he likes to play. But I'm not sure if he'd have been better playing a formation that the current group of players are more familiar with, before stamping his authority during pre-season? When he's got a squad of players more suited to his system.

But he's a man that commands respect and is confident in his methods, so I'm certainly not going to question him too much at this stage. Really looking forward to next season already!

AK seems to get angry, with his creative players when wingers, don't track back and defend, or when forwards don't press the opposition defenders, that's why he keeps picking Main. on the other hand, AK doesn't seem too bothered when forwards don't score, saying that that will come in time. This shows a massive emphasis on defending, and a lack of interest in attacking. it seems to me that Aitor's first aim is to keep a clean sheet at all costs, whilst the secondary aim is to try and sneak a goal.

That attitude is fine, if you are a mid table premier league team, that regularly get's large attendances and is hell bent on staying in the top division, but I'm not sure that it's the right strategy for Boro. Attendances will surely drop and that will result in less cash available for new players. AK seems to be another one of these coaches who wants to radically re structure the squad in the summer, we've already had 2 previous managers with that philosophy and where did that get us?

I would love to see him try a formation that lends itself to attack, we know that we can defend, we know that we won't go down or go up, so let's experiment without 2 DM's with more flare and a lets score more than them attitude for the next few games. That will bring the crowds in, give the creative players a chance to express themselves and fight for a place in the squad for next season. It would be very sad if AK got rid of Muzzy, Marvin, Adomah and Kamara at the end of the season, just because they weren't great defenders, it begs the question, who would he replace them with.

AK seems to get angry, with his creative players when wingers, don't track back and defend, or when forwards don't press the opposition defenders, that's why he keeps picking Main. on the other hand, AK doesn't seem too bothered when forwards don't score, saying that that will come in time. This shows a massive emphasis on defending, and a lack of interest in attacking. it seems to me that Aitor's first aim is to keep a clean sheet at all costs, whilst the secondary aim is to try and sneak a goal.

That attitude is fine, if you are a mid table premier league team, that regularly get's large attendances and is hell bent on staying in the top division, but I'm not sure that it's the right strategy for Boro. Attendances will surely drop and that will result in less cash available for new players. AK seems to be another one of these coaches who wants to radically re structure the squad in the summer, we've already had 2 previous managers with that philosophy and where did that get us?

I would love to see him try a formation that lends itself to attack, we know that we can defend, we know that we won't go down or go up, so let's experiment without 2 DM's with more flare and a lets score more than them attitude for the next few games. That will bring the crowds in, give the creative players a chance to express themselves and fight for a place in the squad for next season. It would be very sad if AK got rid of Muzzy, Marvin, Adomah and Kamara at the end of the season, just because they weren't great defenders, it begs the question, who would he replace them with.

Agree ,,, also Danny Graham wasn't the answer,,, did nothing at Sunderland or Hull ,,, if he had he wouldn't be here . And lets be honest we've been down this road before new manager and a summer rebuild ( that's doesn't happen ) and how long has the issue of lack of goals been going on . Hope im wrong and SG gives him the money to rebuild BUT like I said cant see it .

Agree ,,, also Danny Graham wasn't the answer,,, did nothing at Sunderland or Hull ,,, if he had he wouldn't be here . And lets be honest we've been down this road before new manager and a summer rebuild ( that's doesn't happen ) and how long has the issue of lack of goals been going on . Hope im wrong and SG gives him the money to rebuild BUT like I said cant see it .

The difference with the rebuild this time in my opinion is that we have assets worth several mill. When Mowbray was in charge we just had a heap of overpaid Scottish players that no one would pay even a fiver and a pack of jelly babies for! They proved nigh on impossible to get off the books.

With the likes of Carayol and Adomah we can surely make a profit, I'd be disappointed to see those 2 go for less than a total of 5 million. Mowbray bless him never had that kind of cash. He had to build a team with pennies, and fair play to him, there are plenty of players in the side now we could make millions off. we also have leadbitter, friend and steele who should all command a fairly sizeable fee.

In addition after strachan's nightmarish purchases, I think the club will have learnt their lesson about overpaying on both fees and wages!

Karanka has his links to be able to pick up decent players, even if they're just loanees, chalobah and omeruo have both been fairly impressive and i'm excited to see what this Madrid goalie is like.

I bloody well hope so anyways...

(Apologies if I've repeated anything or sentences are in a weird order, i'm on my phone and lose track of what I've typed a bit :p )

Wasn't sure where to put this.

There's an article on TEAMtalk regarding the Boro and Karanka's tactics. Seems to be just what we're saying.

http://www.teamtalk.com/championship-chat/9186873/Championship-Chat-Boro-boring-to-watch

The Boro section is below:

"Hot topic of the week: Boring Boro must show more ambition

I've been impressed with the players Aitor Karanka (and predecessor Tony Mowbray, in fairness) have assembled at Middlesbrough, and for me, this squad should be far higher up the Championship table than their current position suggests.

But the fact is that, barring a late (and spectacular) run of form, Boro are destined for another season of disappointment and underachievement this term.

Following Saturday's 0-0 draw against Leeds, the Teessiders have now gone six games and more than 10 hours since their last goal. A staggering famine for a team of their abilities and quite simply a record that is not good enough.

In time I'm sure Karanka will get it right and in his defence, they've not been conceding many either. (Anyone would think the Spanish coach has worked with Jose Mourinho the way he has his side set up!)

But three straight goalless draws at home not only shows a lack of ambition, but is also a by-product of the current vogue of playing 4-5-1 (or some variation of it) in the English game. Saturday's opponents Leeds also played the same system, and the result is a game that becomes bogged down in a midfield battle, which is neither pleasing on the eye or conducive to attacking football.

I can understand the need to keep things tight and building from the back, but as the home side with (apparent) play-off aspirations surely they could have thrown caution to the wind and played with two men up front to offer more support to an often isolated Danny Graham?"

Didn't take long for people to get the knives out for Karanka, did it? We've stopped leaking goals, we look like a side with playoff quality at last and when we start scoring goals - which we will - we'll look like the Boro everyone wanted. You don't build a wall from the top down, and you don't build a team like that either.

I think I'm in the minority, Syd, but I'm sorry, I'm really not a fan of the way he's set up the team, or the players that he's bought in.

The last thing I want to see is another total rebuild at the end of the season. As you say, we have some good players, it's just that AK doesn't seem to like them. He's treated the likes of Steele, Carayol, Emnes, Adomah, Smallwood and Kamara pretty badly and they were lauded as our best players earlier in the season.

I think I'm in the minority, Syd, but I'm sorry, I'm really not a fan of the way he's set up the team, or the players that he's bought in.

The last thing I want to see is another total rebuild at the end of the season. As you say, we have some good players, it's just that AK doesn't seem to like them. He's treated the likes of Steele, Carayol, Emnes, Adomah, Smallwood and Kamara pretty badly and they were lauded as our best players earlier in the season.

Do you really think the players he's brought in (other than Osorio) were his targets?

All this criticism of Karanka's tactics reminds me of many of our fans complaining about McClaren's negative football. It turned out well in the long run under him though didn't it.

Karanka is a tactical genius, it's great to watch his decisions, playing Main in the role he did against Leeds was very astute, we needed someone there who would press their full back to force the ball into the centre of the pitch where Leadbitter and Chalobah were there to sweep up and win possesion, hence why we dominated it so much, we started at the back making it more solid and now we're starting to dominate possession in games, all that's left to work on is attacking movement and many teams won't know how to play against us.

It's coming.

See the way chelsea have improved this season, we're heading in the same direction (obviously not in terms of quality)

Do you really think the players he's brought in (other than Osorio) were his targets?

All this criticism of Karanka's tactics reminds me of many of our fans complaining about McClaren's negative football. It turned out well in the long run under him though didn't it.

Karanka is a tactical genius, it's great to watch his decisions, playing Main in the role he did against Leeds was very astute, we needed someone there who would press their full back to force the ball into the centre of the pitch where Leadbitter and Chalobah were there to sweep up and win possesion, hence why we dominated it so much, we started at the back making it more solid and now we're starting to dominate possession in games, all that's left to work on is attacking movement and many teams won't know how to play against us.

It's coming.

See the way chelsea have improved this season, we're heading in the same direction (obviously not in terms of quality)

^