• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

• 2 weeks later...

without starting a new thread, did anyone hear tees sport last night and the I think it was the sports writer for the Telegraph.

Basically saying that AK has won just 1 in 12, and would that have been acceptable if an English Manager had been brought in. If that was GS 2 or TM record during their starting period would we be happy?

And all so saying he was surprised at AK lack of "feeling and connection to the fans" something he has not experienced at the Riverside before and thinks AK pretends his use of English is limited as he lacks the empathy with the area and the fans

I appreciate this is one mans view, but some of things he says were worth thinking about.

1 win in 12 is poor no matter who you are and I am sure with most new appointments halfway through a season its expected to see a bit of kick start but that has failed..Yes draw and draw is better than loss after loss and not sure of the number but I guess its 1 win in 12 but 2-4 defeats in 12

Also again I can appreciate the playing staff may not be what he wanted, or maybe the truth is that mogga bought very poorly and the team actually is not that great...

Anyway just an interesting point of view

1 in 12 is poor, but we haven't lost many of those either and two of those would have been wins if not for dodgy refereeing decisions (arguably 3 in you count QPR having 11 men on the pitch, i doubt they would have scored 3 against us) , although 3 out of 12 isn't great either mind you.

What we have to look at is our defensive record, we've gone from being one of the worst to one of the best in a matter of months, granted we've stopped scoring goals but i think we all agree that is down to not having the correct players for the system we play, although i do disagree with karanka playing the system if that is the case.

I don't think Aitor would carry on using the system if he hasn't been promised to be allowed to rebuild the squad in the summer with his style of players, i don't think we can really judge him on results this season, but only on how he has gone about re-shaping the team, which on the whole i think has been very positive.

I can't understand the comment about him not having a massive affection for the area. He's came from a completely different culture to come to Middlesbrough from Spain so you can't expect him to have the same affection and passion for the area than the likes of local legends Mowbray or Southgate. It's not as if Strachan exactly fell in love with the area either, not many managers do unless they're legends in the eyes of the locals.

Karanka has been quoted as saying he has something in common with Middlesbrough as he likens it to the Basque region of Spain which he grew up in, maybe something to do with steel works and docklands? I'm not sure. He almost came here as a player before as well so it's not a complete leftfield match up. Karanka seems like the kind of guy to "buy into" a region like ours and love it for what it is and not for what it's not. So I can't really envisage him having a lack of affection for the area.

Whilst our run hasn't been effective results wise, like has been stated the defence has been shored up markedly and if we can keep hold of Omeruo for next season and keep Gibson progressing like he has been, then that has the fundamentals of a solid partnership. Throw in Ayala as cover and obviously Woodgate if, we manage to keep him fit and I like those 4 as centre halves. We also have Hines, Williams, Burgess to call upon should we keep them at the club.

I've often said it's important that a club develops a formation and a style of playing before bringing the players in and that's what Karanka is doing, he just hasn't had the opportunity to get the players in to suit his style and gameplan he wants to enforce. You only have to look at Mourinho who implemented a style and bought players in accordingly to suit his style. Willian, Schurrle, Matic and offloaded De Bruyne and Mata. Expect Karanka to do the same.

Let Karanka be judged on his decisions after Christmas. It will be more telling then how he is actually doing.

without starting a new thread, did anyone hear tees sport last night and the I think it was the sports writer for the Telegraph.

Basically saying that AK has won just 1 in 12, and would that have been acceptable if an English Manager had been brought in. If that was GS 2 or TM record during their starting period would we be happy?

And all so saying he was surprised at AK lack of "feeling and connection to the fans" something he has not experienced at the Riverside before and thinks AK pretends his use of English is limited as he lacks the empathy with the area and the fans

I appreciate this is one mans view, but some of things he says were worth thinking about.

1 win in 12 is poor no matter who you are and I am sure with most new appointments halfway through a season its expected to see a bit of kick start but that has failed..Yes draw and draw is better than loss after loss and not sure of the number but I guess its 1 win in 12 but 2-4 defeats in 12

Also again I can appreciate the playing staff may not be what he wanted, or maybe the truth is that mogga bought very poorly and the team actually is not that great...

Anyway just an interesting point of view

I see Karanka's appointment being a bit like the Solbakken one in reverse. The meejuh hounded out Solbakken and he was replaced by a British manager who promptly took them down. That type of narrative never gets repeated because it doesn't stand up when making the argument against foreign managers.

Likewise, Brighton have appointed two foreign coaches in succession and done a good job. Again, the success stories are never reported. If however they would be plunged into a relegation dog-fight the media would be all over it and crying out for some Tim Sherwood passion.

I honestly don't want AK to feel any connection to the fans, i want to be his own man and do things his own without the dissent and varying opinion of our fan-base which changes every week depending on which way the smog is blowing.

The main issue under Mowbray was that we were conceding goals for fun. Now we are only conceding goals due to either wonder-strikes, errant bottle-caps or dodgy penalties. It would be nice if we could score more goals, but let's be honest even under Mowbray we never had a prolific striker and would often have dour games where we struggled to test the opposition.

I also think, you have to judge him on the fact he came into the team without a dedicated backroom staff or was given a period of time to mould the squad by selling and buying. In his first few months we could all see what he was doing - he was giving the players the chance to prove themselves and has promptly taken action against those he deems not good enough.

I honestly do think we would have gone down under Mowbray.