oneBoro Forum

Karanka's Strange Decisions.

I think we have seen the end for steele, it won't have done his confidence any good what so ever. I doubt he will play again for this club

I don't think karanka ment Steele isn't going to play because he's not trying in training. It's more that steeles not up to full speed yet in training after his injury so won't play until he is.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

AK worries me as I think he is expecting too much from the squad and criticising the player is never a good thing. Don't get me wrong they need a good kicking from time to time but this should be kept private, for example Jason Steele and Carayol poor "training" should have been kept private.

I think we have seen the end for steele, it won't have done his confidence any good what so ever. I doubt he will play again for this club

I dont think he said steele was training badly. Just the new guy was training better

NO NO

I back the manager not the players, he has the vision look at clough morinuo,fergusan (absolute no nonsense

we have had to many (MUMMYS BOYS AS MANAGERS IN THE LAST DECADE :@

i honestly believe that people are lost in the time warp of not having a PROPER MANAGER

you dont train you dont play simple

OR AS CLOUGHIE WOULD SAY "COME HERE MY SON"

Badger in Asia

I agree with these sentiments

Stephenson in Europe

For the morale of the squad you'd like to hope that it would have a positive effect. If I were starting sub ahead of say someone like Carayol who I knew wasnt pulling his weight or putting in the effort in training and in games, you would begin to get disheartened.

However, the fact that karanka is seemingly sticking to his principles of if you train and play well you keep in the team then I for one cant see how people have an issue with this. To me, karanka is a breath of fresh air, ok he may criticize the team publicly from time to time, but wouldnt you rather have that than say, Mowbray who just looked disinterested? Well thats how he came across to me.

Karanka's decisions may seem strange, but is that because we are used to being molly coddled as fans into expecting that everything is rosey behind the doors? I for one think that what A.K is doing now will benefit us in the long term, not only will it give people the desire to want to play better but it will also give the fans a good expectancy of what to see on a weekend. Rather than say people getting in the team just because you 'hope' they can perform in a game, people are in the team because they have earnt their money that week and will do it in a game.

Onwards and Upwards!

Karanka was brought in to fullfill a vision. do me a favour that's just the sort of garbage you write on a cv and spout in a job application it carries no weight in reality.

At the moment Hartlepool and cov look like losing their proud record, was that part of the vision too.

Not too sure about this did well in training policy either, although to be fair whoever he picks probably isn't good enough, but playing well in training is not the same as playing well when the pressure is on, that is a poor error of judgement.imo

Karanka is brought in to fullfill a vision. do me a favour that's just the sort of garbage you write on a cv and spout in a job application it carries no weight in reality.

At the moment Hartlepool and cov look like losing their proud record, was that part of the vision too.

Why do you think Karanka was brought in then?

Karanka is brought in to fullfill a vision. do me a favour that's just the sort of garbage you write on a cv and spout in a job application it carries no weight in reality.

Why do you think Karanka was brought in then?

To upset unclegrimley :)

That's absolute nonsense, Chelsea started pretty strongly under Mourinho, they've only had 2 nil nil draws all season, against Man U and ***nal. you just can't draw any parallels with them and us. Mourinho was also happy with the squad that he inherited and didn't feel the need to rebuild it.

I admire your blind optimism, and wish that I could buy into it, but put simply, Karanka isn't Mourinho.

Very true.

Whilst Karanka may have adopted The Special One's philosophy and tactics, he doesn't have anything like Mourinho's experience.

As I said in an earlier post, we need to give him time. He is new to management and we should give him at least 1 full season before we start to pass judgement.

My one and only criticism of him, so far, would be that he is maybe trying to get us to run before we can walk. He seems set on getting Boro playing the Chelsea way and defensively, at least, he has made excellent progress.

Problem is, we dont appear to have the midfielders and forwards to be effective with the system he uses. Karanka has been openly critical of the team on more than 1 occasion for not implementing his plans properly.

Now you could put that down to the players once or twice, for being lazy or unresponsive, but 6 games without a goal makes me think they simply can't do what he wants.

To that end, I'd like to see him revert to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 until the end of the season, until he can bring in more of his own players and try his preferred system in pre-season, where there will be less pressure and time to learn from mistakes.

Again, I'd like to stress, I am not suggesting he isn't up to the job and generally speaking I do appreciate what he's trying to do. I also love his openness and honesty in interviews.

I just think maybe he needs to recognise he doesn't have all the tools necessary to do the job the way he wants to and should perhaps be prepared to be a little more flexible...

Sorry but NO NO NO

Keep the same system and Discipline we have for years changed and changed to suit square pegs round pegs triangle pegs and whatever KISS

Keep it simple stupid for me is the way to go, with the lack of quality qwe have we need a regimented no nonsense system that the team understands no more clever spilt striker wing back bollovks for me

KISS KEEP IT SIMPLE WE ARE SO HARD TO BEAT AT THE MOMENT IT IS UNREAL

Badger in Asia

Yeah, because in the last 7 games, we've drawn 4 and lost 3.

Proof that KISS works... :dodgy:

In any case you completely misread my post.

I wasn't saying Karanka should adopt Mowbray's philosophy of tinkering with the formation and/or personnel pretty much every single game.

I was saying he should revert to a system the CURRENT squad CAN play JUST TO THE END OF THE SEASON.

Anyone remember what lineups we used during the 3 back-to-back wins over Christmas? We can play well and win under AK...we just need the right system.

IMO pre-season would be a better time to get them playing the way he wants. Less pressure, mistakes won't cost anything AND (hopefully) he'll have more of "his" players who will both understand what AK wants and be able to execute his game plans.

While Karanka has certainly placed players in positions not all of us would agree with and left players on the bench who many of us would expect to be starting, we really don't know what has influenced these decisions. All we do know is that Karanka has a strong mind that players must earn their place in the team during weekly training. Several players have been tried in the front four with little success in scoring goals but I honestly don't think it is down to the formation or even that much the people he is choosing.

Karanka has had 3 months with the team and his first task was to shore up quite possibly the most comical defence in the football league. He's done that with great success but I believe that in order to do that and get defending back to basics, he's had to focus on drilling a defensive mentality into all of the players, right up to the striker.

I think what that means is that first and foremost our players have defence in mind and our lack of attacking flair is very much down to this mentality that he has instilled in the players to ensure the leaky defence was sorted out. If you don't concede then you have a chance of winning the game.

Now that we've got that defensive solidity, the next step is to keep that up while allowing more attacking freedom. Tactics is one side of it, but player mentality is the other and I believe that the players are still mentally shackled by the defensive training. Balance is the key but we have to remember that Karanka has only had 3 months to influence these players and he won't achieve it over night.

I think it will come good and I believe it was too much to ask to get promoted this season. There were always going to be ups and downs under Karanka, periods of discovery and change that will ultimately see us come out of it stronger. The players who can't hack it under Karanka will be moved on and stronger minded, motivated players will replace them.

This is only the beginning and we all know that Steve Gibson has long term vision and isn't one to expect immediate success. He's a patient man and we need to be patient fans.

That's absolute nonsense, Chelsea started pretty strongly under Mourinho, they've only had 2 nil nil draws all season, against Man U and ***nal. you just can't draw any parallels with them and us. Mourinho was also happy with the squad that he inherited and didn't feel the need to rebuild it.

I admire your blind optimism, and wish that I could buy into it, but put simply, Karanka isn't Mourinho.

Very true.

Whilst Karanka may have adopted The Special One's philosophy and tactics, he doesn't have anything like Mourinho's experience.

As I said in an earlier post, we need to give him time. He is new to management and we should give him at least 1 full season before we start to pass judgement.

My one and only criticism of him, so far, would be that he is maybe trying to get us to run before we can walk. He seems set on getting Boro playing the Chelsea way and defensively, at least, he has made excellent progress.

Problem is, we dont appear to have the midfielders and forwards to be effective with the system he uses. Karanka has been openly critical of the team on more than 1 occasion for not implementing his plans properly.

Now you could put that down to the players once or twice, for being lazy or unresponsive, but 6 games without a goal makes me think they simply can't do what he wants.

To that end, I'd like to see him revert to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 until the end of the season, until he can bring in more of his own players and try his preferred system in pre-season, where there will be less pressure and time to learn from mistakes.

Again, I'd like to stress, I am not suggesting he isn't up to the job and generally speaking I do appreciate what he's trying to do. I also love his openness and honesty in interviews.

I just think maybe he needs to recognise he doesn't have all the tools necessary to do the job the way he wants to and should perhaps be prepared to be a little more flexible...

Sorry but NO NO NO

Keep the same system and Discipline we have for years changed and changed to suit square pegs round pegs triangle pegs and whatever KISS

Keep it simple stupid for me is the way to go, with the lack of quality qwe have we need a regimented no nonsense system that the team understands no more clever spilt striker wing back bollovks for me

Badger in Asia

I wasn't saying Karanka should adopt Mowbray's philosophy of tinkering with the formation and/or personnel pretty much every single game.

I was saying he should revert to a system the CURRENT squad CAN play JUST TO THE END OF THE SEASON.

Anyone remember what lineups we used during the 3 back-to-back wins over Christmas? We can play well and win under AK...we just need the right system.

IMO pre-season would be a better time to get them playing the way he wants. Less pressure, mistakes won't cost anything AND (hopefully) he'll have more of "his" players who will both understand what AK wants and be able to execute his game plans.

The system used in those 3 wins was the exact same system we're using now. One up top, a number 10 role behind him and the two wingers.

if a striker had scored a couple of goals in the last few games we wouldn't be having this conversation about Karanka, everything else about this team is solid just no one will score.

Very true.

Sorry but NO NO NO

Badger in Asia

The system used in those 3 wins was the exact same system we're using now. One up top, a number 10 role behind him and the two wingers.

Well, thats even more mystifying...

Wonder what's gone wrong between then and now? Bet AK's asking the same question...

Very true.

Sorry but NO NO NO

Badger in Asia

Well, thats even more mystifying...

Wonder what's gone wrong between then and now? Bet AK's asking the same question...

You could argue that it is the change in players of course, not because of who those players are but because they're having to adapt to a new system. It could also be tiredness. Karanka has introduced a high intensity system and perhaps that is taking it's toll on some of the players, especially with some of them coming back from injury or having not played much football. Part of the chopping and changing could be linked to that - trying to keep legs fresh so that we can keep up the intensity. I think that is one of the things Karanka has commented on lately, that we've lost the intensity we'd been playing with before.

Hope it will click soon and the flood gates will open!