• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Another clean sheet.

Muzzy to apoligise to AK and play.

midfield getting stronger and more telepathy.

And im a very happy Badger i believe the rest will fall into place

Maybe not today

Maybe not tommorrow

But for the rest of our lives

Badger in Asia

Not a great deal of interest on the match day threads recently :( I can 100% assure you that we will score tomorrow and we will win :)

I somewhat disagree MBP if you look through the older match day threads you will see that the posts have been steadily going up and tbh far far better than previous seasons I can assure you.

Lack of wins and a feeling that we have blown our slim chances of the play offs has not helped but if we do string some wins together the post count will increase.

Also as there are a fair number of regular posters going to a game tehn we often see a difference:)

@Tomas_Mejias: Primer partido convocado con el Boro, a las 15:00 (16:00 hora española) Sheffield-Milldesbrough Vamos Boro!!!

Looks like he'll be in the squad. I have a feeling he will start

If osario starts it says two things to me

a) that the whole theory about AK favouring a more experienced keeper is rubbish because, despite steele being over a year younger, he has a vast amount of professional game time under his belt compared to osario who has only played 29 games in his entire pro career according to transfermarkt

b) it makes me slightly worried about Karankas financial sense. Surely it is obvious that, since steele is well respected over here, it is logical to have him playing then sell him in the summer as opposed to having his market value steadily decline while he is age 23, on the bench for a mid table championship club, behind some unknown real madrid B keeper? Doesn't look at all good for Jason's career prospects or confidence

Of course that is only right if mejias continues to be selected

3CnMYlG.pngvs s4EoSva.png

Hello! And welcome to my first (and hopefully not last!) matchday thread! The game in question is of course Boro's away trip to t'Wednesday (although on a Saturday, not a Wednesday annoyingly).

t'Owls have had a brilliant start to 2014 and have really improved their fairly poor form earlier in the season. In their last 10 games they've won 5, lost 2 and drawn 3, with stand out wins against Reading and in particular, a 6-0 drubbing of their fellow Yorkshire brethren, t'Leeds. Watching them annihilate t'Leeds scum was at the very least mildly arousing.

Boro meanwhile, after a terrific festive period have come more or less spluttering to a disappointing halt. We've drawn 5, won 3 and lost only 2, however have failed to win, or even score, in any of our last 6 games. It would appear we couldn't score in a brothel (and truth be told I doubt our strikers could finish their tea, let alone a chance), but we've kept more clean sheets than a nunnery.

article-0-1A4BF3C300000578-414_634x404.jpg

Of course the man between the sticks who has kept all of these clean sheets has now, unfortunately, departed and it remains to be seen what impact that will have on our defence. Of course, as many forum members will tell us, there have been plenty of factors behind our newfound defensive stability, however super Shay missed out on only 1 match during his loan stint: a 2-0 loss to Hull City. This means that we cannot know for sure what kind of an impact his departure will have on how solid our defence is, but one thing for certain is that we'll miss the way in which he organised the defence on every set piece and how vocal he was. His experience showed and it would be foolish to say his arrival had no impact. So the question to discuss is as follows:

Will Shay Given's departure have a negative impact on our defence?

I for one think it will, but not massively. Steele is an excellent shot stopper and his kicking is great, but he doesn't command the defence as much as I'd like to see him. On top of that, I think Given is far better at claiming crosses and corners, something which Steele has had problems with. Osorio, well it remains to be seen what his strengths and weaknesses are. He's something of a wildcard.

Anyway, this is the team I'd like to see:

2b53052783c0d3a11f049ab3901916b1.png

:D

Seriously now, I'm hoping to us line up with the usual system, but with several changes to the last game. We need to score a goal and get a result ASAP before the doom-***ers get enough ammunition to depress us all for weeks to come (as if the football wasn't doing that already). As such I'd play the following team.

---------------Steele*----------------

Varga------Woody--Omeruo-----George <3

-------Grant-------------Chalolobah-----

Adomah--------Tomlin----------Carayol

---------------Kamara-----------------

We need to play a team who is good on the counter, a team creative and direct enough to pose a real threat, and I think with the players at our disposal this is it. Whitehead is too negative for me, and Chalobah has to start ahead of him as he's just as solid, better aerially and a better passer than his facially challenged teammate. Grant Leadbitter (who literally looks like Nicky Bailey and Barry Robson's lovechild) is a stalwart in midfield and has been excellent for us so far this season and his name has to be one of the first on the teamsheet. Tomlin should start in the AMC role as we've really been lacking some attacking impetus, threat and creativity in the centre of the park recently. Adomah walks into the team with ease if he's at full fitness. Carayol no doubt will be back in the side after having been dropped for being a very naughty boy (he's not the messiah after all) and will be back with a point to prove.

Kamara by all accounts was very poor against Leeds, but I think it's important to have him in the side simply because he can hold up the ball and win more in the air better than any other forward in our squad. When all 3 of them don't look like they have a goal between them, we might as well play the one who at least offers something to the team and can bring the more productive advanced midfield trio into the game, right?

The * next to Steele is because he's only been in training for a few weeks following a lengthy ankle injury, and also we've signed Real Madrid goalie Osorio. I couldn't put him in my predicted team as I've never seen him play and as such can't judge whether he or Steele would be better suited to go there. I have a feeling Karanka may choose to go with the Real Madrid loanee rather than big Jason :(

The defence pretty much picks itself with Ayala and Williams out injured, and Ben Gibson suspended for another 2 games after he forgot how to play football against Watford.

I personally predicting a 2-0 win for the almighty Middlesbrough with Lee Tomlin to score on his first start, and Carayol banging in another to prove to Karanka that he's not worth dropping.

Boro

Back into the side :D :

Luke Williams - the youngster returns from a brief stint at Hartlepool having scored a few and set a few up. Described as 'A class above' by boss Colin Cooper, he'll be hoping to be able to make a similar impact here as he did there.

Jason Steele - Appears to be on the mend following a lengthy layoff with an ankle problem. In contention for a starting place with the glorious Given grievously going back to Villa.

Ben Gibson - Returns to the side after picking up 2 yellows against Watford in a game where he appeared to forget how to play football. Made 2 big errors which cost us at least a point and possibly more. Back in contention, but whether he will be picked is a different matter entirely. Every player drops a clanger sometimes (just ask R Williams!) but it's how you come back from it that matters. Hopefully when he does get some minutes, we'll see more of the confident young defender that we've seen over the course of this season.

Injuries :( :

Rhys Williams

Daniel Ayala

Talking points:

Are you going to the game?

What do you think the result will be?

How would you like to see us line up?

What is your favourite colour?

What is the capital of Assyria?

What is the air/speed velocity of an unladen swallow? (specify African or European please)

What is a goal?

Does Curtis Main have a fear of haircuts?

George Friend > Brad Pitt?

Is this too many questions?

I was going to get the opposition's view on it, but that forum is more impenetrable than Fort Knox...

Classy MDT I have to say.

Can't understand the following though...

"I was going to get the opposition's view on it, but that forum is more impenetrable than Fort Knox..."

Try this:- http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/forum/3-sheffield-wednesday-matchday/

Steele simply has to be first choice even if karanka want to move him on in the summer in favour of the new keeper. A good end to the season could be worth millions compared to a prolonged stint on the bench.

3CnMYlG.pngvs s4EoSva.png

Hello! And welcome to my first (and hopefully not last!) matchday thread! The game in question is of course Boro's away trip to t'Wednesday (although on a Saturday, not a Wednesday annoyingly).

t'Owls have had a brilliant start to 2014 and have really improved their fairly poor form earlier in the season. In their last 10 games they've won 5, lost 2 and drawn 3, with stand out wins against Reading and in particular, a 6-0 drubbing of their fellow Yorkshire brethren, t'Leeds. Watching them annihilate t'Leeds scum was at the very least mildly arousing.

Boro meanwhile, after a terrific festive period have come more or less spluttering to a disappointing halt. We've drawn 5, won 3 and lost only 2, however have failed to win, or even score, in any of our last 6 games. It would appear we couldn't score in a brothel (and truth be told I doubt our strikers could finish their tea, let alone a chance), but we've kept more clean sheets than a nunnery.

article-0-1A4BF3C300000578-414_634x404.jpg

Of course the man between the sticks who has kept all of these clean sheets has now, unfortunately, departed and it remains to be seen what impact that will have on our defence. Of course, as many forum members will tell us, there have been plenty of factors behind our newfound defensive stability, however super Shay missed out on only 1 match during his loan stint: a 2-0 loss to Hull City. This means that we cannot know for sure what kind of an impact his departure will have on how solid our defence is, but one thing for certain is that we'll miss the way in which he organised the defence on every set piece and how vocal he was. His experience showed and it would be foolish to say his arrival had no impact. So the question to discuss is as follows:

Will Shay Given's departure have a negative impact on our defence?

I for one think it will, but not massively. Steele is an excellent shot stopper and his kicking is great, but he doesn't command the defence as much as I'd like to see him. On top of that, I think Given is far better at claiming crosses and corners, something which Steele has had problems with. Osorio, well it remains to be seen what his strengths and weaknesses are. He's something of a wildcard.

Anyway, this is the team I'd like to see:

2b53052783c0d3a11f049ab3901916b1.png

:D

Seriously now, I'm hoping to us line up with the usual system, but with several changes to the last game. We need to score a goal and get a result ASAP before the doom-***ers get enough ammunition to depress us all for weeks to come (as if the football wasn't doing that already). As such I'd play the following team.

---------------Steele*----------------

Varga------Woody--Omeruo-----George <3

-------Grant-------------Chalolobah-----

Adomah--------Tomlin----------Carayol

---------------Kamara-----------------

We need to play a team who is good on the counter, a team creative and direct enough to pose a real threat, and I think with the players at our disposal this is it. Whitehead is too negative for me, and Chalobah has to start ahead of him as he's just as solid, better aerially and a better passer than his facially challenged teammate. Grant Leadbitter (who literally looks like Nicky Bailey and Barry Robson's lovechild) is a stalwart in midfield and has been excellent for us so far this season and his name has to be one of the first on the teamsheet. Tomlin should start in the AMC role as we've really been lacking some attacking impetus, threat and creativity in the centre of the park recently. Adomah walks into the team with ease if he's at full fitness. Carayol no doubt will be back in the side after having been dropped for being a very naughty boy (he's not the messiah after all) and will be back with a point to prove.

Kamara by all accounts was very poor against Leeds, but I think it's important to have him in the side simply because he can hold up the ball and win more in the air better than any other forward in our squad. When all 3 of them don't look like they have a goal between them, we might as well play the one who at least offers something to the team and can bring the more productive advanced midfield trio into the game, right?

The * next to Steele is because he's only been in training for a few weeks following a lengthy ankle injury, and also we've signed Real Madrid goalie Osorio. I couldn't put him in my predicted team as I've never seen him play and as such can't judge whether he or Steele would be better suited to go there. I have a feeling Karanka may choose to go with the Real Madrid loanee rather than big Jason :(

The defence pretty much picks itself with Ayala and Williams out injured, and Ben Gibson suspended for another 2 games after he forgot how to play football against Watford.

I personally predicting a 2-0 win for the almighty Middlesbrough with Lee Tomlin to score on his first start, and Carayol banging in another to prove to Karanka that he's not worth dropping.

Boro

Back into the side :D :

Luke Williams - the youngster returns from a brief stint at Hartlepool having scored a few and set a few up. Described as 'A class above' by boss Colin Cooper, he'll be hoping to be able to make a similar impact here as he did there.

Jason Steele - Appears to be on the mend following a lengthy layoff with an ankle problem. In contention for a starting place with the glorious Given grievously going back to Villa.

Ben Gibson - Returns to the side after picking up 2 yellows against Watford in a game where he appeared to forget how to play football. Made 2 big errors which cost us at least a point and possibly more. Back in contention, but whether he will be picked is a different matter entirely. Every player drops a clanger sometimes (just ask R Williams!) but it's how you come back from it that matters. Hopefully when he does get some minutes, we'll see more of the confident young defender that we've seen over the course of this season.

Injuries :( :

Rhys Williams

Daniel Ayala

Talking points:

Are you going to the game?

What do you think the result will be?

How would you like to see us line up?

What is your favourite colour?

What is the capital of Assyria?

What is the air/speed velocity of an unladen swallow? (specify African or European please)

What is a goal?

Does Curtis Main have a fear of haircuts?

George Friend > Brad Pitt?

Is this too many questions?

I was going to get the opposition's view on it, but that forum is more impenetrable than Fort Knox...

Classy MDT I have to say.

Can't understand the following though...

"I was going to get the opposition's view on it, but that forum is more impenetrable than Fort Knox..."

Try this:- http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/forum/3-sheffield-wednesday-matchday/

I signed up to ask them a few questions but a moderator has to approve your account before you can post or even look at threads. After 3 or 4 days and no response I added on the impenetrable bit :p

Thanks for the comments o the MDT though :)