• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Kamara isn't useless, far from it. But he's not a winger. And he's not a good enough first choice striker. I'm fine keeping him here as a squad player to fill in up front should there be an injury to our first choice number 9, or to bring on off the bench should we opt for two upfront later in a game.

I'd rather see us play Kamara up front over Danny Graham. Graham offers nothing to the team when he's not poaching goals, whereas Kamara can win headers a lot of the time, hold up the play and he's a lot more mobile. For me he's definitely a better option upfront than Graham.

To be fair DS that was at a time when KK was up front rather than out on the wing.

I agree that we do miss Marv, but I really think that given a proper run in the team Tomlin will prove himself as a far more useful player than Marv.

Absolutely MMC. Kamara is not and never will be an effective wide man. I don't think the Emnes discussion is particularly relevant in this case because Kamara hasn't played up top on his own since Emned left.

It's becoming plainly evident that Graham is not working in this system. Both Jukewictz and Kamara have had a certain amount of joy in that role, particularly in regard to bringing the rest of the team in to play in the final third. They both physically occupy the centre halves more effectively which means it's harder for the them to play out or clear their lines especially aerially.

I'd rather us not have to rely on a big man up front on his own but I don't know if this system can work any other way with the personnel we have.

Agreed Humpty. Even if he's not scoring, Kamara can win headers and hold the ball up better than Graham when he's played up front. He's of a much greater benefit to the team when he's played there than Graham is. Wouldn't be an issue if Graham was scoring, but he's not and doesn't look likely to unless he has another game like he did vs Ipswich.

I NEVER made my mind up about Emnes. I still haven't. I know he can be really good, but I still don't know what he offers on a consistent basis. Something, obviously.

Regardless, I don't think he wants to be here. Which is why I'm happy for us to think about offloading him in the summer. And, though he might not be quite as cultured, Tomlin is a very skilled player in that position who offers more in terms of direct assists and goals.

If no club is interested in signing Emnes in the summer then I wonder whether Karanka will think he will be able to put out a balanced and effective team with both Tomlin and Emnes in the team(as both are typically thought of as being a #10)?.

Emnes has hardly ever impressed me whenever I've seen him play wide(left wing or right wing) other that when he was playing for Swansea v Napoli where he played a more clever playmaking role on the right which he done well linking up play which would be similar to how he could operate on the RW in our system. Tomlin can apparently play and 3 of the advanced positions but it seems he was specifically signed to play the #10 role. The advanced 3 behind the striker need to be capable of switching positions with clever movement and crisp passing to unlock defences so the more attackers like Tomlin and Emnes we can get into the team the better(if they can fit into the system) as unfortunately out-and-out wingers like Adomah just don't seem to fit into it effectively.

I think that, should Emnes stay, him and Tomlin should really be competing for one spot. And that would be excellent competition. I like Ledesma, but I don't think he can outgun those two in that position. And Butterfield is best suited as the most advanced CM in a 4-3-3 (so, though a useful squad option, not really a long-term 4-2-3-1 first teamer in my opinion). So it would be interesting if Emnes stayed. And I wouldn't be totally against it. It's also not completely inconceivable that both could start in the same interchangeable team, so long as we played a system that didn't rely on natural width from the advanced midfield trio with genuine fullback support from both sides.

But, like I said, If Emnes truly doesn't want to be here, we need to find a way of offloading him. Could be a classic example of man management skills coming into play...

As for Adomah, I see no reason why he can't fit into the 4-2-3-1 system effectively. At times he has been outstanding. On other occasions he's been very average. But there aren't many players that can put in a top class level of performance week in week out in this league. And he offers more going forward then just width and pace. We have a scapegoating culture at this club. A few weeks ago we were all singing his praises! We should be more grateful for his outstanding performances then we are for his weaker ones, so long as the work rate and effort is still there when he's not quite at his best.

Thanks to all who took part in guess the attendance game...

ACTUAL ATTENDANCE: 15,075

WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!

**OLLIE10 (14,999)**

JUST 76 FANS OUT, TOP JOB :)