oneBoro Forum

Boro V Huddersfield (A) 2-2

I think we have to accept that Karanka isn't the right man for the job.

Walks away whistling...

Maybe a bit harsh. He spent the first 4-5 months making us harder to beat and more settled defensively. I won't mind it if spends the next 5 months making us equally better in attack.

I wasn't being serious :)

We weren't losing that many games under Mowbray to be fair, well we were last season of course, not as much this season. We just weren't winning many. We aren't winning games now either as it happens, is it 1 win in 11 or 12 now? We've improved under Karanka but not by a great deal. Not winning and not conceding is still not winning. But we have a lot of work to do and much of that can't happen until the summer. I would just like to see a bit more progress now and if I'm honest I think people are giving Karanka too easy a time. Some of what he and we are doing is fairly poor in my opinion.

This might not make any sense, so do forgive me.

I think we're better under Karanka. My reasoning is I'm much happier building from defense forward. We were leaking goals left right and centre when Mowbray was here and now we're conceding very few (until the last couple of games of course).

We scored lots under Mowbray and threw games away. Under AK we very rarely look like conceding (again, there are a few exceptions to this but not many) and I'd much rather have that base to build from.

He's totally revamped and re-energised a back four that, honestly, sucked earlier. Not to mention he has saved George Friends season.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

You're too theoretical BiB. In reality you will very rarely have two central midfielders where both will just sit in defensive positions when you have the ball. Almost every time one of them will break further forward and take part in the attacking play lurking right behind the main attackers. Otherwise you all to often end up with only one man in the box and that's too easy to defend against.

Moving one of the CMs forward when attacking will allow the striker, the AMC and probably one of the wingers to burst into the box. Otherwise you'll have a major gap between your attackers and the rest of your team.

Of course it's a different story if your main objective is just to go and not get beat. Then both will just stay behind a defend.

I didn't say they were sitting in defensive positions when you have the ball, i'm pretty certain i mentioned they would be around the final third, with one breaking forward if you are taking too long to get through (and usually when the ball is in a wide position), i just said that they need to be in a position to get into their defensive shape when the ball is lost, if you look at highlights on match of the day you'll see that if one of those CM's does beak forward someone will drop into their position (usually the no.10) to be in the right position to win the ball back quickly.

As for only having one player in the box, the wingers attack the box quite often, as does the no. 10, there are some good videos on youtube that demonstrate that.

This might not make any sense, so do forgive me.

I think we're better under Karanka. My reasoning is I'm much happier building from defense forward. We were leaking goals left right and centre when Mowbray was here and now we're conceding very few (until the last couple of games of course).

We scored lots under Mowbray and threw games away. Under AK we very rarely look like conceding (again, there are a few exceptions to this but not many) and I'd much rather have that base to build from.

He's totally revamped and re-energised a back four that, honestly, sucked earlier. Not to mention he has saved George Friends season.

It makes plenty of sense bud. A perfectly reasonable and reasoned view to take in my opinion.

Another good (although short and succinct) video on the system.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxF1Xu1yfNY

I think our problem is trying to attack too quickly, although we do have pacey wide players.

I think David Pleat sums it up perfectly of what Karanka is doing wrong at the moment when he says you have to suit your system to the abilities of your players rather than the other way round, but if he's going to stick with this system then lets hope he gets the right players in over the summer that can play this way: (the last video on the subject i promise :P)

[video=youtube]

Some quick reviews...

Dimi 5 beaten at near post for first which was poor... otherwise nothing stellar but commanded his box ok

Friend 7 wasn't having any luck with his forays forward but still looked one of our best players

Gibson 6 not his best game... looked shaky at times and distribution awful... too many aimless punts forward to nowhere

Omeruo 8 mom... easily the best boro player... in a different class... had a few shaky moments but always recovered

Varga 5 that little @#$% adam hammill had the better of him first half... improved second... not a long term solution

Chalobah 6 few nice touches... too laid back though... too many mistakes... thinks he's better than he is... butterfield more effective in this role second half

Whitehead 7 decent defensive performance... usual couple of misplaced passes but nothing serious... could have been more forward minded on occasions

Butterfield 6 not his best game tonite... not a number 10 or second striker and looked more effective in the deeper role second half

Adomah 7 couple of goals from bad defensive errors... nearly fluffed the second blasting it straight at the keeper... one of the few willing to run at defenders

Ledesma 5 poor game from manny tonite... struggled to get in the game and little came off for him... looked dangerous for about 5 mins at start of second half

Graham 6 first half was another tireless performance chasing nothing against overwhelming odds... looked better second half with more support but not a long term solution... not a target man like juke who was more effective in this thankless role... system needs to adapt to give strikers more support or our strikers will never score

Tomlin 6 few nice tricks and touches early in second half but otherwise looked off the pace

Main 5 barely touched the ball

Williams 7 managed to make an impression in the 5 mins he was on the pitch with some nice touches and interplay... looks like some regular football might have had a positive effect

Yes we're not doing well but not exactly shockingly bad(like 2nd half of last season where we were in free fall) so I don't understand why there is such animosity by some(mainly on BBC Tees) towards Karanka. The man has come into a foreign country and taken over a club that was leaking goals for fun and he's stopped the rot faster than I'd have imagined in a unspectacular yet solid manner. He's obviously still trying to find the right balance in the side which is clear to see and hasn't been helped by injuries to important first team players and bedding in new signings so I don't see why some are so critical of him, especially now that the season is clearly over.

We've been plodding around in the mid-table of the Championship for 5 years now with no meaningful improvements so I don't see why some are so impatient with him, especially after Mowbray got so much time and patience through some shockingly bad runs.

Yes we're not doing well but not exactly shockingly bad(like 2nd half of last season where we were in free fall) so I don't understand why there is such animosity by some(mainly on BBC Tees) towards Karanka. The man has come into a foreign country and taken over a club that was leaking goals for fun and he's stopped the rot faster than I'd have imagined in a unspectacular yet solid manner. He's obviously still trying to find the right balance in the side which is clear to see and hasn't been helped by injuries to important first team players and bedding in new signings so I don't see why some are so critical of him, especially now that the season is clearly over.

We've been plodding around in the mid-table of the Championship for 5 years now with no meaningful improvements so I don't see why some are so impatient with him, especially after Mowbray got so much time and patience through some shockingly bad runs.

He's turned us into such a boring and predictable side though. I'm willing to see who he brings in in the summer but the goals really need to start flowing next season

Here here. He's had one slap dash transfer window to try and put his mark on the team and he'd probably never even heard of fanny graham until January 30th!

I don't listen to the phone ins anymore tbh, I find it boils my p1ss more than watching Jeremy Kyle

McClaren got slated for that reason yet he was very successful and proved that he knew better than the fans that were criticising him.

Karanka has only been here a few months so what we are now wont be what he wants us to be long term when he is able to build his own side with new players better fitted to his system.

McClaren got slated for that reason yet he was very successful and proved that he knew better than the fans that were criticising him.

Karanka has only been here a few months so what we are now wont be what he wants us to be long term when he is able to build his own side with new players better fitted to his system.

That's why I'm not directly criticising him. I don't mind fairly dull football as long as it gets results, so I'm happy to give him next year but poor football and poor results is a recipe for disaster

I think it's fair to judge Karanka's decisions, but not the job he has done as a whole so far. He's come in to manage a squad where likelyhood is he's only heard of one player (Woody) and had to turn them from a side who were in free fall into a solid (and safe from relegation) club in a very small space of time with a lot of pressure on. He's done exactly that and set us up in good stead for the coming season with a solid, defensively sound base.

People who are expecting more than where we are currently at have no concept of realistic expectation imo and are deluded into thinking the championship is easier than it is.

Was there a lot of criticism on Tees? I rarely listen to that, pretty much switch off straight after the game when I'm listening.

In terms of why taking a guess I'd suggest something along the lines of the following: the football is fairly dour, we're not winning, he isn't influencing games or doesn't appear to be able to do so and the season is only over because we've been so poor for most of 2014. He seems to value certain players above others without any justification. Odd selections such as Kamara and Main as wide attacking players, which is just beyond me - I don't care how well they're training.

The Stockton Town fans view, having been back 10 minutes. Firstly to be really fair they were two poor teams. Don't think I've ever seen so many passes go astray or straight to the opposition from both teams. Towns defence were their usual slapdash selves and imo gifted you two goals, Adomah taking the second really well, the first, well if you're gonna pass to a guy in red they're gonna score. I can see why Boro aren't scoring many, never seen so many high and mighty shots, aiming for the top tier of the North Stand most of the time. Worth going for our two goals alone, see someone blamed the keeper for the first but can't really see that, Wells was a beauty. Lots of our guys think the same of Robins as it seems some of you do about Karanka, as can be judged by the boos and chants when he took Wells off. It wasn't that he brought Vaughan on, he got applause, just his general lack of adventure and caution. We were playing a team with one of the poorest away records at least in recent months, and he swaps forwards instead of going for it. I thought we had the better of the first half, and after your equaliser in the 2nd half, things calmed down from both sides. My 3-3 earlier post was nearly right, to be fair if we'd got the 3rd, we'd have gifted you an equaliser. Varga (no 8 anyway, Baldy?) turned into the obligatory villain for Town fans, and the ref was pretty much rubbish. Couldn't be accused of being a homer anyway, was giving us little in the first, half, better in the 2nd half with both teams having penalty claims ignored. Neither were. Perhaps he could only point in one direction. Robins out, too conservative and unadventurous. Well honours even again, same as last year, though I suppose you're shading it on goal diff last year and away goals this year. Still we'll both survive I think and hope, so on to rebuilding next season, but who knows if either of us will have the same Manager. Wells will be a class player though, if Bobbins doesn't ruin the lad. really needs someone to play off, like with Hanson at Bradford, and Wardy isn't that guy. Cheers, bedtime, I'll read the comeback in the morning, just remember it's only an opinion.

been out and missed the whole game, no matter how bad we were though I cant believe that some fans are starting to turn on the manager already, he hasnt even had a season yet. Remember that barely any of these are his players. we are still paying for the dross mogga was allowed to bring in im afraid