oneBoro Forum

The squad for next season

I'm almost certain Steele is gone in the summer.

Bring in Omeruo and preferably Thorgan Hazard (but I'd take Chalobah back too) from Chelsea, bring back Meijas if possible.

Re-sign Dimi too, so that Dimi/Meijas can battle it out for our number one shirt.

Then we need a new striker, we maybe need a more consistent winger too, (especially if Muzzy won't be fit for the start) I like Manny but the guy doesn't turn up on a regular basis, and Adomah is just as bad for disappearing for large stretches of time.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will be a summer of evolution, not revolution - the money just simply isn't there to go out and buy players and pay them the wages that come with it.

More will move on than arrive, hopefully, which should give us a bit of wiggle room, but whilst we get such poor crowds the finances just don't add up - yet many of our fans want Gibson to 'invest' more money on players.

Realistically, I think we have to expect 2-3 incomings and many outgoings this summer, with only a little money available for transfer fee's, unless we can sell one or two for decent money, then it could be different.

Completely agree.

I also think that, even putting the fairly tight finances to one side, it's the right policy. We don't need wholesale changes. And we don't need our squad to be as big as it is. 2-3 in and half a dozen or so out sounds ideal.

You're right, we don't need wholesale changes and too many new players can be counter-productive.

Getting Chalobah and Omerou on season long loans is vital, especially the former IMHO, who is a big player for us now. Omerou has been great too, but I think we can keep clean sheets with pretty much any of our centre halves, that's how well AK has tightened up the defensive side if our play.

If graham stays at Sunderland (although I'm not sure he will) then a centre forward who is effective in our system is a priority.

I'd only want us to sign Graham if:

1.) Karanka thinks he will fit better into the team next season once we get better attacking options to suit his game more.

2.) Wages aren't too high.

3.) Transfer fee isn't too high(or loan fee).

All in all I cant see all them things falling into place so we should plan for next season without him. He's a good Championship striker but I haven't seen enough from him for us to throw a large part of our transfer budget at.

I'm almost certain Steele is gone in the summer.

Bring in Omeruo and preferably Thorgan Hazard (but I'd take Chalobah back too) from Chelsea, bring back Meijas if possible.

Re-sign Dimi too, so that Dimi/Meijas can battle it out for our number one shirt.

Then we need a new striker, we maybe need a more consistent winger too, (especially if Muzzy won't be fit for the start) I like Manny but the guy doesn't turn up on a regular basis, and Adomah is just as bad for disappearing for large stretches of time.

Agree with this. Definitely need a new striker, and a right back.

Also, is Meijas' out of contract at Real Madrid this summer? Meaning we can get him back on a free transfer? Or am I making that up?

Pretty sure Burgess has 1 year left. If we let him out on loan next season then he'll be out of contract when that loan ends. If we're loaning him out again, then it would be worth offering him a new deal this summer for a couple of years. He's definitely shown enough at Hartlepool to have potential for the future / a sell-on value for the future.

Hignett must have recommended Burgess highly as he knows him very well from his time as assistant manager at Hartlepool as otherwise Karanka probably wouldn't even consider giving him a chance if Hignett said just League 2 is his level and he's got no chance of breaking into our first team.

We must surely be starting to look at young players that could break through next season just like Ben Gibson has done this year. Burgess, Morris, L.Williams and Reach are looking the most likely to starting next season in a similar vein to Ben Gibson coming into this season as back up but finished as an established first team player.

I would like to see morris and reach loaned for the season, that will be better for their development. If reach does well over a whole campaign in league 1 then he could be useful for us. If not then I'm sure he would be able to find a club at a lower level

Williams is looking like he could be a decent squad player for us, burgess can replace hines as our 5th centre back behind gibson, omerou (hopefully), ayala and woody.

Smallwood and Dolan are two which i would like to see have their contracts renewed. Both have done well as far as i can tell in the division below and would be good alternatives for leadbitter and, again hopefully, chalobah.

Id personally love to keep Omeruo and Chalobah for next season.

If we didnt find a suitable replacement for Varga id take him back again. I think he is under valued by some of the fans. He is very good defensively, like tackle and positioning. But he is weak on his distribution and is singled out due to his lack of pace. If we had him on loan yes, but not worth 800k.

I think he will get rid of Adomah and bring in a CAM. I love Adomah but he is inconsistent, but like last week can play out of his comfort zone which is a good skill to have. Im 60-40 in favour of keeping him.

Ledesma is 70-30 to get rid. 'on his day' he is great.

With Graham going back we have Two loan slots available, thats if he brings back Meijas, Chalobah and Omeruo. I wouldnt mind Meijas not coming, playing Steele as back up to Dimi as first choice, That would provide an additional slot to free up to address the Right back, Right Mid and Striker situation

Players that look like they have no future here and very likely to be sold this summer:

*Steele, R.Williams, Halliday, Emnes, Kamara and Juke.

They should easily raise £4 million in fees and £60k a week minimum by my very conservative guestimates. Huge funds released from selling non-essential players.