oneBoro Forum

Jason Steele - the future

I feel as if this deserves its own thread for discussion away from the match-day stuff.

* Why does AK not seem to like Steele?

* Do you think we could command a good fee for him over the summer?

* Who will be the future options in goal? Will we stick with Mejias-Dimi or perhaps look at other available options in the summer?

For me, I think Karanka has basically looked at the defensive situation and perhaps gained an understanding of what he is looking for in a keeper. Someone more experienced and who can organise the back-line. Something which I don't think JS does that well. He's had a very good look at him but its clear he doesn't rate him for whatever reason.

Its also clear from the Mejias signing and his increased confidence in Dimi that Jason will be on his way out in the summer.

However, this could well be another Mourinho-Casillas situation whereby Mourinho came in and stamped his authority by dropping one of the more experienced first-teamers in order to give JS a kick-up the ***. Although that seems very unlikely for me.

What do we all think about this? Is this a bad move for the club or do you think that Steele will stick around and be made to fight for his first-team place? All in all, I'm struggling to see who would want JS - aside from a club wanting an English player for their squad registration in the Champions League. Everton or Liverpool maybe?

For me if we get 3m with add-ons - then I think it will represent good value for money. I think we could even go for the more experienced option with someone like Thomas Sorensen or Julian Speroni. Someone who still is a quality keeper, will be available in the summer for nowt and could be signed on reasonable wages.

I'm all for selling him for good money tbh -- as shown by the Butland signing, young English keepers are like rocking-horse poo and clubs will pay good money for them. So maybe the club is wanting to sell for an agreed price in the summer but don't want another Rhys Williams fiasco?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I did really rate steele when he was playing but after watching given and even Dimi im not so sure. He is very hesitant in coming for balls from crosses and he doesnt seem to know the correct time to come off his line, think having experience in goal is giving the whole defence more confidence. I would sell Steele if a good offer came in, keep dimi for a year and either sign mejias again or go for given again if we can

I really hope that an opportunity will arise for him in the remaining games and he rises to the challenge, showing AK why the vast majority rate him so highly. If not its probably time for him to leave and someone will have ary good player on their hands. The academy has produced another future prem quality players and us as fans can be proud that we have been lucky enough to seen him develop . I would love to see him play for us in the prem though

Think his days with Boro are numbered. If he had just served his ban there's a good chance he'd still gave been our No1 keeper. But opting for his operation when he did looks like it's backfired. I don't think he saw the emergency signing of Given (but who did) or the turn of form from Dimi. I'll be sorry to see him go but he will have a future wherever he ends up. £2million and I'd sell

Karanka obviously sees Mejias in his future plans

As bad as it sounds I really hope Dimi is injured for Tuesday(Meijas too) so that Steele gets a chance to prove himself.

Since Karanka has arrived there seems to have been a total culture change as before we had too many players that were too comfortable so maybe Karanka's treatment of Steele(and Carayol) has been used as an example to raise theirs and everybody's standards. It seems that Steele is being treated similarly to how Hart was earlier in the season where he got complacent and too comfortable, so could be the same underlying reason. He got a good reception from the crowd on Saturday which was good to see. At half time I noticed he was talking to Derby's coach Paul Simpson for quite a while, he better not have been testing the waters for a summer move(I know he wouldn't have been) :p

I think we should sell steele. Weve got 2 keepers who the manager obviously think is good enough to replace steele and we can get money for steele and not the others so why not

Don't think Steele has a future with us. Don't know if that's fair or not, and I certainly think he is a good keeper, but fact of the matter is that AK clearly isn't a fan. At the end of the day that's the most telling thing of all. On top of that, Dimi has done well and AK has made good goalkeeping moves in the transfer market thus far. And in the coming window I think that will be a priority once again.

I don't think we will get a good fee for him though. If we do sell him this summer, which I imagine is the intention but certainly not a guarantee, then I'd be surprised if we got much more then £1m for him. £1.5m tops. He's worth more. But, given all the circumstances, the fact that he's not the finished product and the likely lack of interest from the top tier, selling at a more hefty fee just will not happen. It's a fickle game, and a 6 month spell where he shines could have quadrupled his worth. But that hasn't happened.

Personally i wouldn't want to see Dimi remain first choice, he's a very good back up and i would like to see him stay but only as someone who can comfortably step in (someone we haven't had on the bench for a long time). I haven't seen Mejias play yet but it will be interesting to see what he's like compared to Steele considering they are of similar age.

Personally i wouldn't want to see Dimi remain first choice, he's a very good back up and i would like to see him stay but only as someone who can comfortably step in (someone we haven't had on the bench for a long time). I haven't seen Mejias play yet but it will be interesting to see what he's like compared to Steele considering they are of similar age.

Couldn't agree more.

I think poeple are reading far to much into the Steele situation. When given left Steele had just come back from a long injury lay off and has we have seen with karanka he likes to make sure players are 100 % fit before putting them back in the team. Steele wasn't 100% so he gave mejias the nod, Mejias got injured and Steele still wasn't 100% so Demi got he's chance and took it.

Karanka is telling players that they have to earn there place in the team and Demi has been playing well so what message would it have sent to the rest of the squad if he dropped demi and put Steele back in when fit

I hope there's still a place for Steele, but if he is out of the team and struggles to get back then for his career he ought to be looking for a transfer. If that is the case, we should look for the best bid. But if he comes back, makes the place his own and feels he has to earn his place every week then I'd have full confidence in him being our number one next season.

Hopefully he will stay and regain his place.

Looking at it, it's unlikely he will be picked up by a prem club unless it's as second choice, which stele doesn't stand to gain anything. Unlikely any championship teams will spend what we would like to get for him in these time of ffp.

I think poeple are reading far to much into the Steele situation. When given left Steele had just come back from a long injury lay off and has we have seen with karanka he likes to make sure players are 100 % fit before putting them back in the team. Steele wasn't 100% so he gave mejias the nod, Mejias got injured and Steele still wasn't 100% so Demi got he's chance and took it.

Karanka is telling players that they have to earn there place in the team and Demi has been playing well so what message would it have sent to the rest of the squad if he dropped demi and put Steele back in when fit

Make you right Steele can still be a major part of Boro's future we just have to hope Steele himself has the patience to bide his time and grab the opportunity when it arises again.

Hopefully he will stay and regain his place.

Looking at it, it's unlikely he will be picked up by a prem club unless it's as second choice, which stele doesn't stand to gain anything. Unlikely any championship teams will spend what we would like to get for him in these time of ffp.

As I said before, he's English and would count as homegrown for teams wanting to fill out their quotas for squad registration.

This is why Chelsea paid Turnbull to sit on his *** for 4 years.