oneBoro Forum

Jason Steele - the future

Yes tend to agree that no action results in a decrease in value of a sale if that turns out to be the case.

We are second guessing ourselves to a degree here and perhaps the only observation I can add is that during our spectacular bad defending period there is no doubt that some of his keeping skills were highlighted due to what was going on around him making him seem to be a better keeper than in reality he really is.

We have all borne witness to some of his "howlers" and he has not escaped justiied critisism from time to time.

Boro will survive without Jason Steele but how much others value him remains to be seen

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

AK should pick who he thinks is the best team, or the players he feels have a future at the club.

He should not be picking players just to stop their value from decreasing.

Having said that, I think Steele is the best keeper at the club.

I can't fathom how anyone can think a 38 year mediocre keeper (and he is...his career is testamount to that) is the future of the club?

It is a bit strange how a lower league journeyman GK such as Dimi is seen as first choice over an ex England U21 GK.

There must be something in these rumours of a bust up over Steele getting his injury sorted during a suspension, and we have all learned that Karanka sticks to his guns when deciding a players fate... but is it all worth ending a potentially good goalkeepers future at the club over, which is the way it seems to be heading at the moment. My 2p worth is that it was in the clubs interest to get his injury sorted during the suspension.

I would have thought Higgy would also have had a word with AK about the Steele situation since arriving and maybe AK feels he has no reason to drop Dimi and he is in control of the shirt. The acid test will be when Meijas is announced as back to full fitness, see who is the back up keeper then.

I don't think anyone has said Dimi is the future of our club in goal keeping terms. I honestly believe that Karanka feels that Mejias is. If that's the case I'm happy with Dimi to be a reliable No2. It certainly wouldn't do Steele any favours warming our bench. But is it worth it to keep him only to have serious competition for the No1 jersey?

Apparently Dimi is awesome and Steele is a naughty boy who was wholly responsible for all the goals that we conceded in the first part of the season, Prowler. :D

Again. Nobody has said that either. I'm a fan of Steele. He was the first choice keeper when we defended like a Frenchman defends Paris. And I'm sure he earned us more points than he cost us. In an ideal world, Mejias will be as good as AK obviously thinks and him and Steele will constantly battle it out for No1 spot. However neither of them will want to sit out too long at this embryonic stage of their careers as first team starters (more so Mejias) and if Jason has fell out of favour it looks like is future may not lie with the Boro and he'll be gone in the summer. I'll be gutted but it's not the end of he world either. Dimi has proven himself as a reliable back up nothing more

There's been a debate about how good Steele is or how he has upset AK. I am wondering if this is what it is really all about

Cast you minds back through the academy goalkeepers. I'm struggling to remember one of the first choice keepers who have not played for England at Age Group level. Turnbull, Steele, Ripley, Coddington and Fryer have all played. You have to conclude that the Academy is one of the best, if not the best, training ground for young English goalkeepers. Should we be crediting Steve Pears with this achievement ? It would seem a logical conclusion.

We now have a new goalkeeping coach who seems to disagree with the England age group selectors and Steve Pears. Is it logical to question if Leo is getting it right or changing things for the sake of change

I have always taken the comments on board that Steeley was an outstanding prospect and maybe a future England international. One now has to ask, is that correct? If it is are we allowing our current head coach and GK coach to decide that that is incorrect.

Both sides of the fence cannot be correct

Unless Steele's attitude/focus has changed?. In the second half of last season and early part of this season he looked nowhere near the very high performance levels he achieved previously so that could hint at that.

I can't fathom how anyone can think a 38 year mediocre keeper (and he is...his career is testamount to that) is the future of the club?

It is a bit strange how a lower league journeyman GK such as Dimi is seen as first choice over an ex England U21 GK.

There must be something in these rumours of a bust up over Steele getting his injury sorted during a suspension, and we have all learned that Karanka sticks to his guns when deciding a players fate... but is it all worth ending a potentially good goalkeepers future at the club over, which is the way it seems to be heading at the moment. My 2p worth is that it was in the clubs interest to get his injury sorted during the suspension.

I would have thought Higgy would also have had a word with AK about the Steele situation since arriving and maybe AK feels he has no reason to drop Dimi and he is in control of the shirt. The acid test will be when Meijas is announced as back to full fitness, see who is the back up keeper then.

I think Meijas has been announced as fit again, so we should be finding out shortly.