oneBoro Forum

Some strange comments on this subject!

If my wife was getting treat like crap from her boss then yes I'd have plenty to say about it and I dare say she would if I was on the receiving end. If you aren't prepared to defend/stick up for a loved one then maybe you haven't got your priorities straight. He was being kicked out of the club so it's not like she was putting his job at risk. Clearly Bailey wasn't happy with what was going on so was quite comfortable with what she was saying. To be honest I wasn't that happy as he would have done a better job than certain players picked at that time, it's as simple as that and as we were paying his wages so he should have been involved.

Him getting messed around happened BEFORE she made any comments, something that certain people on here seem to ignore as though she was somehow the problem. Had he actually done anything to justify it because I don't remember hearing much? Of course a complete waste of space like Emnes was given chance after chance and that actually caused more problems within the squad than Bailey did as I understand it. It certainly lead to some resentment about it and understandably so when you think about how little he contributed and how uninterested he looked.

McDonald's comments since leaving were nothing at all. He was hardly critical of the fans and what he said was entirely correct, whether we like it or not. However, has it occurred to people criticising him that perhaps his comments came on the back of all the grief being directed at him and Bailey as though they were to blame for everything? That's all we heard during the second half of the season. It's weird that football fans seem to demand the right to say what they like about footballers but if any of them say anything back they all go ballistic! One thing you can't accuse him of is not putting the effort in when he played and you can't say the same for certain other players. Ironically, some of the people with the most to say about McDonald are also the first to jump up and defend some of those players.

As for Hoyte, he cost us £3 million and he was on some decent wages for 4 or 5 years before taking that pay cut. He has struggled to hold down a place here and has never really looked like a top right back in this division, which he should have been able to do. I believe there were/are some personal issues but they haven't been there the whole time. It was just another poor signing by Southgate unfortunately.

As I said, I wouldn't boo any of them as aside from that being pathetic, I don't think any of them have done anything to justify it and they certainly weren't responsible for our slump, it's just stupid. None would get the kind of reception that other former players would get however as I don't think any of them really justify that either.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I didn't like it when McEachran got some boos when he returned with Wigan as when he was here he tried his hardest and didn't disrespect the club during or after he left so people had no real reason to boo him.

If any player disrespects a club the way McDonald and "the Bailey's" did then they shouldn't be remembered fondly.

Disrespects the club how? I'm still not following it. Bailey's partner said some stuff about Mowbray because Bailey was getting messed around. I've seen worse stuff said on here about Mowbray than she ever said, not to mention a few other forums. McDonald said nothing at all disrespectful. Here is what he actually said:

‘If you’re talking about passionate fans, I sort of missed that for a while,’ McDonald said.

‘Unfortunately things haven’t worked out as well as we wanted at Middlesbrough. It’s sort of a deprived town in work-related circumstances, so it was very difficult for people to come to games

'We found ourselves playing in a half-empty stadium most of the time. The atmosphere at times wasn’t as good as what it could have been.’

'But the fans were fantastic to me up at Middlesbrough, I’ve got nothing but respect.’

How terrible of him, eh?

I didn't like it when McEachran got some boos when he returned with Wigan as when he was here he tried his hardest and didn't disrespect the club during or after he left so people had no real reason to boo him.

If any player disrespects a club the way McDonald and "the Bailey's" did then they shouldn't be remembered fondly.

Disrespects the club how? I'm still not following it. Bailey's partner said some stuff about Mowbray because Bailey was getting messed around. I've seen worse stuff said on here about Mowbray than she ever said, not to mention a few other forums. McDonald said nothing at all disrespectful. Here is what he actually said:

‘If you’re talking about passionate fans, I sort of missed that for a while,’ McDonald said.

‘Unfortunately things haven’t worked out as well as we wanted at Middlesbrough. It’s sort of a deprived town in work-related circumstances, so it was very difficult for people to come to games

'We found ourselves playing in a half-empty stadium most of the time. The atmosphere at times wasn’t as good as what it could have been.’

'But the fans were fantastic to me up at Middlesbrough, I’ve got nothing but respect.’

How terrible of him, eh?

Dont know what basis he can have for saying our fans arnt passionate

He is so bitter about leaving boro that he had to take a swipe at the fans before he left

He is a ***er

I think if your in the privalidged position to be a millionaire by playing sport (not particularly well) then you should perhaps show a bit of respect towards a true club legend.

Eh???

How about because the ground is half empty all of the time as he says and pretty quiet for half the time as well. As you go to games you can't have failed to notice this yourself? Now compare that to where he'd come from, it's not difficult to get what he's talking about or it certainly shouldn't be. Red Faction was started precisely because of the poor atmosphere and people have commented on the same thing on this very forum for gods sake. Read all of his comments, he quite clearly isn't bitter and nor does he have a problem with us.

Are people purposefully trying to be offended or something?

Eh!?

My comments are aimed at Bailey who let/encouraged his misses to slag off a true gentleman on social media which then created a poisonous atmosphere around the club. Skippy had a point (although he's been watching too much Green St if he thinks Millwall have any sort of terrace culture/atmosphere).

Eh???

How about because the ground is half empty all of the time as he says and pretty quiet for half the time as well. As you go to games you can't have failed to notice this yourself? Now compare that to where he'd come from, it's not difficult to get what he's talking about or it certainly shouldn't be. Red Faction was started precisely because of the poor atmosphere and people have commented on the same thing on this very forum for gods sake. Read all of his comments, he quite clearly isn't bitter and nor does he have a problem with us.

That still doesnt explain why we lack passion.

Its not like he was moving to a bigger club anyway, he went to Millwall. What makes their fans better or more passionate

I think if your in the privalidged position to be a millionaire by playing sport (not particularly well) then you should perhaps show a bit of respect towards a true club legend.

Showing respect has nothing to do with money, income or wealth. That's simply a ridiculous comment to make. Respect is either earned or deserved for one reason or another. If someone treats you badly then you will lose respect for them. If someone treats someone you care about badly then you will lose respect for them. You might find this out in your own life someday if you haven't already.

I really couldn't care less about this club legend stuff either. If you mistreat people you don't get away with it because you played a few hundred games for the club.

Seeing as Millwall have a 20000 capacity stadium and have averaged just over 10000 this season, I'd say his jab at 'Boro fans was entirely unnecessary.

As for the Bailey scenario, it's very different his wife slagging off Mowbray than some random bloke on a forum. At the end of the day, he may not have been getting much game time and worse players may have been picked but the reasons behind that we don't know. The only thing unacceptable about the whole thing is his wife slagging off his boss for anyone who looked to see. Whether he was going to be out of a job or not, it's downright disrespectful.

Eh???

That still doesnt explain why we lack passion.

Its not like he was moving to a bigger club anyway, he went to Millwall. What makes their fans better or more passionate

I think he is equating the half empty ground and a lack of atmosphere with a lack of passion, rightly or wrongly. Wrongly in my opinion as it happens although I don't think he actually means the fans are less passionate as such. I think he's just talking about the atmosphere at the ground.

A fuller smaller ground will always create a better atmosphere than a larger but more empty one, even if the attendance is actually greater.

It's not like we don't know any of this as we sit in the bloody ground every other week.

Block 53 - that reply wasn't for you mate it was for jamesp, I just forgot to quote it and you replied in between. However, if you really believe that the poisonous atmosphere around the club came about as a result of a woman's comments then you're absolutely crazy.

If he had said something along the lines of attendances then we couldnt argue with him but questioning the fans passion who paid his ridiculously high and undeserved wages for three years isnt right.

If he showed a bit more "passion" on the pitch then he might not be preparing himself for a spell in league 1

"The Bailey's" by taking the pee out of Mowbray's affectionate nickname by fans of "Mogga" and calling him "Mugga". I'm far too young to be around in them times to be caught up with seeing things through rose tinted glasses that people always said but after hearing that he was our club captain, played for the club for free during administration and is a significant figure in our history I think he deserves not to be disrespected by them. This is the Nicky Bailey that was involved in a fully blown fight in training with Bikey. Not the sort of thing that will be a good environment to instill a professional and focused mentality in the team. Also it's not the sort of environment that our young players will thrive in.

Them McDonald quotes aren't as bad as I remembered them so I will drop the accusation of him disrespecting the club. The part about missing playing in front of passionate fans is a bit of a dig, not exactly intentionally though. But it was clear that he didn't respect Mowbray and when a player plays for us I will always back the manager over a individual player or group of players, just like recently how I accepted Karanka dropping Carayol who's one of our best players because he was complacent in training. Also since McDonald, Bailey and Hoyte joined Millwall they reportedly had dressing room discontent with Lomas before he was sacked and then when Holloway took over there was some issue that made him want to move him out in January, which is too many issues to be just a coincidence.

We would have only been able to see the tip of the iceberg of the problems that led to our disastrous second half of last season but I've heard enough that points towards the likes of "the Bailey's" and McDonald being absolute nuisances and disruptive influences behind the scenes during that period that contributed to the toxic dressing room.

If he had said something along the lines of attendances then we couldnt argue with him but questioning the fans passion who paid his ridiculously high and undeserved wages for three years isnt right.

If he showed a bit more "passion" on the pitch then he might not be preparing himself for a spell in league 1

Yeah but we know the atmosphere at the ground isn't that great. It just isn't, which is what I think he's talking about. A lot of people like to equate passion with atmosphere/noise and he's obviously doing the same. The fact that he actually makes the point about the local economy as a means of defending Boro fans and then goes on to say he has respect for us shows his opinion. The problem is people are ignoring that and jumping on one line of what he says.

p_mards - so why didn't things improve after they left? Why is Mowbray currently unemployed? Why have we improved since he left? Please don't come out with that daft line about us not being as bad. We'd only won twice and he was sacked, that's pretty bad however you try and dress it up.

So she called him Mugga? Who gives a toss?! Honestly, if that's as bad it gets then so what? He had frozen her fella out of the team at a time when he was also being told his contract wasn't being renewed. I still don't get what people think she should have done? Be really annoyed but keep quiet? Why should she when in her view a person she cared about was being mistreated and her life was going to be directly affected by it. Unless you think that having money makes up for the disruption of having to up sticks and move your family because I can tell you that it doesn't.

We're obviously going around in circles here so I'm not going to reply any more as it's supposed to be a match thread anyway. If people genuinely believe that those two players were responsible for the slump we had then you're crazy. We had a lesser slump at the same time the season before, must have been their fault as well. And the start of this season too. All down to them.

That's the first time I've read that quote in its original form and I for one don't think he said anything wrong. He pointed out a few facts and highlighted his 'respect' for the club. The only point of contention was him saying he missed the 'passionate' fans during his time with us. Doesn't sound great that, granted. But in it's context it's pretty clear that he's not saying anything directly nasty or vindictive. Just a case of slightly poorly chosen words that have been overlooked and twisted by people looking for a reason to hate him.