Measurement of success

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

It's different coming in and making a team perform better half way through a season than it is to make sure a team performs over the entire season. Mogga had a similar effect when he came in but couldn't make us perform well enough over an entire season. So yeah, if we play consistently enough over a full season to take us into the top 10, I'll see it as a step forward. A small one, but better than the past few seasons.

I'm with you on that NB4, I'm pretty excited to see how AK performs over a whole season. He has done really well since coming in, but is that could just be down to the Honeymoon period!

I also think the summer will be very interesting, as there are plenty of fringe players that I wouldn't mind if they went.

We finished 7th under Mowbray when he had a full season, which was a step up from the previous one when we finished 12th. However the next time we finished 16th. This slow building is fine if it works but if it doesn't you've just wasted another couple of years and you're probably even further away from where you want to be than when you started. It sounds great when you write about it, Karanka gets more experience, we blood young players, they develop and Bob's yer uncle we're in the Premier League. The reality could be somewhat different whereby we lose our best players because we're still a Championship club, we lose the manager because either he's deemed to not be doing a good enough job or his ambitions lead to him moving on and all the time we're financially worse off relative to others because of the new TV deals in the Premier League.

I feel as if this thread is mixing two separate discussion topics. The first being measurement of success and the second being expectations/hopes. You can only measure success against whatever the goals/aims/targets are. Our goals are promotion so success will be measured against this, in other words do we get promotion or even get close. I don't believe the club will go into next season with the aim of finishing top half or top 10. I think it will be top 6 so if we don't achieve that then it will be seen as failure by them - as long as that assumption is correct of course.

People's hopes and expectations will be different to that. I believe the club should be aiming for top 6 and my own view of success will be based on this. However do I expect us to achieve it? At this stage probably not but we have a summer ahead of us with a lot of potential change so this expectation or belief will no doubt change over the next few months. Do I hope we can do it, you're damn right I do! So I hope we can finish top 6 to give us a chance of promotion, I don't necessarily expect us to achieve it but if we don't achieve it then I think it will be classed as a season of failure albeit if we go very close it will be a small one compared to if we say finished a distance away.

I don't believe burnley are too worried about not having a good enought squad to stay in the prem.

Every team in the championship including us should be looking to get promoted next season

Will Karanka be purely judged on our league position? Or will style of play, academy youngsters playing and positive signs that the squad is progressing under him have a say?.

I won't be judging him on league position, well, not unless we're in the bottom 1/3 or so.

What are you judging him on then?

His manhood.

Or, you know, what I posted on the first page.

Oddly enough although I read it at the time it wasn't seared into my memory but thanks for your reply.

Improvement in what sense? Obviously not results so are we simply talking about performance in general (which would usually indicate results) or style of play? Are you looking for a more attractive way of playing perhaps?

Basically, just better than this season. I don't really care where we finish as long as it's an improvement on this season. Dint particularly care how we play either as long as it eventually gets us up.