Boro vs Reading (A) 0-2

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

So has whitehead actually done anything in particular wrong tonight? Or did everyone just see his name on the teamsheet and decide that its his fault if we lose?

Genuine question.

Not at the game so can't reasonably assess his performance.

That said, generally I think he's been a real disappointment this season. He doesn't get forward nor does he protect the back 4 and his disciplinary record is extraordinarily poor. I thought he was a decent squad player for Stoke so thought he would've been able to make the transition to the championship...

Karanka not been out of the dugout all half. I think he will be watching the players closely over the next coupe of games to see who he wants to keep

On the train back from the match now. Will do ratings later but have to say we were shocking for the first half and not a great deal better in the second. Graham looked disinterested although the service to him was terrible. Whitehead was very poor, repeatedly have the ball away and was far too slow and negative. Varga looked a liability. Williams wasn't brilliant but he was one of the few that actually wanted the ball, still knocked off it far too easily though. Tomlin drove us forward as soon as he came on and looked alright.

only caught bits of the game on the radio, sounded like we were awful though. Making whitehead captain is woeful. how do they expect him to motivate anyone. Why was he in the team over leadbitter anyway. He is the definition of average, what any manager sees in him I dont know

Before the weekend we had a good settled team that was winning games, why karanka has changed this is beyond me

Boro G summed it up pretty well. When graham missed his chance one on one with the keeper (by a clear mile) any confidence left quickly drained out of him. Varga was highlighted early as our weak link and was targeted straight away which paid off immediately. Omeruo had a nightmare opening 15 mins and when we conceded the 2nd the game was over. Reading started playing for time. For all those that question what Leadbitter does just had to witness how clueless we were in the centre of midfield the first half.

Things were slightly better in the second half. But it was honestly an hour when I noticed Adomah was actually playing. Ledesma wasn't much better but was always willing to cut inside and have a pop. The only bright spark was Tomlin strong and direct and got into some good positions.

Another game where we got what we deserved. Karanka didn't leave his bench once that I noticed, and has given up on this season. He's got his work cut out in the summer. If I was a Forest or Brighton supporter I'd be livid with Boro for just rolling over the way we did

Right, ratings:

Dimi - 7 - Couldn't do a huge amount about either goal apart from maybe give Omeruo a bigger shout before he headed it for the first one. Made a couple of good saves.

Varga - 3 - They had obviously identified him as the weak link and really exploited it, didn't look at all comfortable in possession either.

Omeruo - 5 - Had a shocker for the first 20mins, basically headed it out of Dimi's gloves which led to the first goal and I think it was him who got his head to the ball first for the second before it hit George & went in. Wins everything in the air but has a head like one of the new pound coins and the ball always seems to land in a dangerous position.

Gibson - 6 - Won most of his headers and didn't really do anything wrong

Friend - 6 - Not a lot he could have done about the OG, had a couple of driving runs, one of the few that looked bothered

Whitehead - 4 - Poor game, dawdled on the ball and repeatedly got caught in possession, slowed any forward momentum we had and misplaced so many passes

Chalobah - 5 - Again, caught in possession far too often, didn't look like he ever settled into the game

Adomah - 4 - Anonymous for most of the match, did very little although he had few options anyway, the movement ahead of him was shocking

Williams - 7 - Tried his hardest, some good passes and a few good runs but he's still too lightweight. Often seemed to be the only one wanting the ball and was having to drop deep to get it, leaving very little ahead of him.

Ledesma - 5 - See Adomah plus a couple of shots hence the extra point. Although he should have some deducted just for the ridiculous dive.

Graham - 2 - Missed a one-on-one when we were 1-0 down, can't even describe how bad it was but he missed by an absolute mile. Didn't even look at the ball half the time, didn't challenge for headers and offered no movement whatsoever.

Subs:

Leadbitter - 7 - Showed exactly why he needs to start, as soon as he was on we kept the ball so much better. Always available for a pass, very rarely wasted possession and looked to move it forwards.

Tomlin - 7 - Single-handedly drove us forward once he came on, gave us some energy and fight, was very direct and played some really nice balls around the box.

All in all a very disappointing night. Credit to Reading, they didn't let us settle at all with their pressing but we really were the masters of our own downfall - so many errors! Very disappointing to see how few of the players could be ***d tonight, most of them looked like they were on holiday already.