oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

If we're going to spend such a large amount on Clayton then Karanka really musn't rate Whitehead to play alongside Leadbitter, unless Leadbitter is off?. Leadbitter still hasn't signed a contract extension so his future is still uncertain.

Friend and Carayol too only have 1 year left so I hope we can get them tied down to long term deals quickly, that's if we intend to keep them all of course.

It's a shame that it looks like Butterfield is off as I really rated him when Mowbray was in charge. He looked exactly the sort of AM we needed to link things up but unfortunately it seems Karanka doesn't rate him too highly.

Kamara can go as soon as possible. Steele will likely get interest in the coming weeks, Smallwood also.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have maintained for a while that this is going to be a season that will either make or break our association with SG in sole charge of the club and that moving Boro forward in terms of the known links and association with our club then promotion has to be achieved.

Astounding! Steve Gibson has absolute nothing to prove to anyone. He's proved his commitment to this club time and time again. His legacy his absolutely secured. You can't even begin to fathom how much money he's wrote off in building this club. Not too mention his own time. The guy does close the 18 hours a day between bulk haul and MFC. We wouldn't exist if it wasn't for him.

Humpty my dear fellow I think you have taken what i have said in the wrong way though perhaps I could have worded it better.

All I meant by that is that perhaps SG having done things on his own for such a long time and if promotion is not achieved it would not be beyond the realms of possibility that he could consider calling it a day or allowing others to become part and parcel of those who own and run the club:)

I like you feel we owe so so much to him

I have maintained for a while that this is going to be a season that will either make or break our association with SG in sole charge of the club and that moving Boro forward in terms of the known links and association with our club then promotion has to be achieved.

Astounding! Steve Gibson has absolute nothing to prove to anyone. He's proved his commitment to this club time and time again. His legacy his absolutely secured. You can't even begin to fathom how much money he's wrote off in building this club. Not too mention his own time. The guy does close the 18 hours a day between bulk haul and MFC. We wouldn't exist if it wasn't for him.

Humpty my dear fellow I think you have taken what i have said in the wrong way though perhaps I could have worded it better.

All I meant by that is that perhaps SG having done things on his own for such a long time and if promotion is not achieved it would not be beyond the realms of possibility that he could consider calling it a day or allowing others to become part and parcel of those who own and run the club:)

I like you feel we owe so so much to him

I believe Gibson has realised we need to improve massively to get promoted and now after 5 years it's time for change so he has decided to spend as much as possible with financial fair play rules applied to re invest in our club to build a team not just to get promoted but to stay in the premiership.

A RB we could go after could be Jack Hunt from Crystal Palace. He cost them £2 million last summer from Huddersfield but he got a long term injury and then was loaned out to Barnsley.

Why haven't we renamed a stand after him yet?

I dont know the exact quote, but this was mentioned a few months back and had its own thread, AV (i think) said he doesn't want anything named after him as he's a modest man and having things named after yourself to him is egotistical.

Does karankas contract end in 1 or 2 years? The reason I ask is perhaps it's possible that Gibson wants to make a go for it now, back his manager and get into the premier league ASAP. I know it's always the goal. Having said that I think he highly rates karanka. If we get promoted this year or look like it could happen next year then he can then convince him to sign a new contract. I am sure we would agree he could be the man to keep us up if we get to the promised land. Especially, given his contacts and the clubs new contacts. Looking forward to some signings next week!

Why haven't we renamed a stand after him yet?

I dont know the exact quote, but this was mentioned a few months back and had its own thread, AV (i think) said he doesn't want anything named after him as he's a modest man and having things named after yourself to him is egotistical.

It's only egotistical if you do it yourself (I.e. The DW Stadium). If you have something named after you by the fans I wouldn't describe that as egotistical

The FFP rules are riddled with flaws and loop holes.

Thinking out loud, we have a free pint incentive with every home game for season ticket holders (is that right?). Whose to say this won't be written into the figures as Steve GIbson personally buying those who qualify a pint? £3.50 a pint x10,000 is £35K per week Gibson can put into the club coffers which is completely out side of the £6 million "loss top up" rule.

Not to say that's the case, but I'm convinced not only Gibson but all league chairmen would have commissioned very intelligent lawyers and accountants to find such things.

Looking at the FFP rules, there is plenty of exemptions in place due to external failings. For example if Ramsden's went bust owing us sponsor money, this would be taken into account when calculating losses.

So imagine a situation where a club is given a transfer ban, and a "big club" club comes in with a £10 million bid for a youth product (Ben Gibson for example). Without the ability to replace that player (due to the ban), you kept hold of the player sacrificing £10 million. Then at the end of the season the club reports more losses. This would be down to "external influences", so would this be held into account.

The FA can always try to apply such rulings as FFP, but when they overlap with common UK laws such employment laws, and trade laws (restriction of trade being the obvious). Any punishments they dish out could ultimately be dragged into the courts. Remembering the threats at the time of Tevez & Macherano, they don't want that.

Sorry for the waffle, in short I just think we should trust Gibson 100% he only ever has the long term survival of the club at heart. And he knows that has to involve Prem money.