oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

If carayol is in his final year I really can't see him signing a new contract. Always got the impression that he's not that happy here and with him being out till December we won't even get any bids in January, he will leave on a free next summer. This ties in with vickers saying we were planning on selling him this summer. It's frustrating because we would probably have sold him and Williams for a decent amount.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FreeHat - Seen as we're after a striker, what do you reckon to the chances of Odemwingie after the WC? Stoke apparently are looking to strengthen up top. He could be available...

Vickers also said we're getting two RBs on twitter. So Free Hat may be onto something.

Or may just have read twitter today

Anthony Vickers: If gates rise and Boro are well placed in January – with promotion a realistic prospect – then I am led to believe that Gibson will sanction further spending to try to secure it.

Anthony Vickers: If gates rise and Boro are well placed in January – with promotion a realistic prospect – then I am led to believe that Gibson will sanction further spending to try to secure it.

Very good to hear! Almost missed this post because of the 'is he, isn't he' debate :p a transfer rumour thread isn't the place to be having that discussion anyway

Does anyone else find it bizarre that at the end of last season AK was talking about us needed seasoned championship players with the idea of signing foreigners from abroad being put on the back burner, and yet other than the lad from huddersfield most of the rumours, and both signings thus far, have been foreigners from abroad. Misdirection to push prices down or a change of plan??

Thanks :) in other news Guisborough player Daniel Johnson is on trial with Cardiff.. I remember reading something in the gazette that we were looking at him.

Does anyone else find it bizarre that at the end of last season AK was talking about us needed seasoned championship players with the idea of signing foreigners from abroad being put on the back burner, and yet other than the lad from huddersfield most of the rumours, ans both signings thus far, have been foreigners from abroad. Misdirection to push prices down or a change of plan??

I'm not sure that's entirely true, he said his initial idea was to bring small technically gifted young spaniards, he said that he realised the championship required more physically gifted players and they're the type he was after. I'm not sure I saw him say that they had to be seasoned championship players.

Thanks :) in other news Guisborough player Daniel Johnson is on trial with Cardiff.. I remember reading something in the gazette that we were looking at him.

Cardiff where mentioned in the article along with us and somebody else, think he's doing trials then making his mind up if he receives any offers.

Does anyone else find it bizarre that at the end of last season AK was talking about us needed seasoned championship players with the idea of signing foreigners from abroad being put on the back burner, and yet other than the lad from huddersfield most of the rumours, and both signings thus far, have been foreigners from abroad. Misdirection to push prices down or a change of plan??

I'm not sure he simply meant seasoned championship players. I think what he really meant was that his initial idea of bringing in skillful Spanish youngsters wouldn't work because while they might have the skill, the championship also demands strength and a mental toughness. I think his comments meant the type of player he's looking for has changed.

With Kike, he knew him before and must understand the guy's mentality. Based on the highlights on youtube you can see he is strong physically but also appears to have drive - look at how many times he puts the ball in the net and quickly grabs it to get the game restarted - his team obviously needing more goals to equalise. That shows leadership and a drive to win and this is the kind of player we need to build a winning team.

As someone else mentioned, it may well also be related to the inflated price of English players, although we've just paid nearly £3m for a second division striker from Spain and have been quoted something like £7m for a Belgian player so it's not only English players who cost good money!

Here you go, I think this was what he was talking about

“To play here in the Championship you need strong players, with strong characters, who know the league and the culture,” -http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/boro-boss-aitor-karanka-sights-7290481

Quite vague really.. strong physically? mentally? Both?