oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

And I think the defense looks a lot more solid with Woody in as a whole

Couldn't disagree more... Gibson/Omeruo's partnership has been unparalleled at the club for many, many years. And the more they play together, the stronger that partnership will become. Don't get me wrong - Woody is a fine defender - but you just don't ignore a partnership like that...

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand that argument to but of course you could always use that example as an argument against woodgate. What if he or his defensive partner makes a mistake due to a miscommunication? Due to not being as sure in their partner as they would have if they had played in a more settled lineup?

I firmly believe we lost a lot of points last season due to defensive mistakes caused by that very problem.

Its a difficult one for sure but the team must ALWAYS come first. It is without question that, at his best, woody is comfortably our best defensive player. However, he is so often not at his best due to injury that he cant be counted on to start game after game. It is for this reason that I believe he should take a back seat next season.

Essay over :D

Yes, but a good manager can get the best out of his best players, but also make sure the reserves are ready to come in so it is seemless. it didn't work for Mogga because he didn't have that ability. Look at King for Spurs, he always came in when he was fit but the back ups were always read to slip int the formation with no fuss. THere's no reason we can't do that successfully with Woody

Woodgate is a liability, I don't buy this 'classy player' nonsense. I know it's a game of opinions but there's too many people harking back to a player that was not what there is. He's too slow, unfit and injury prone, gets turned far too easily and as mentioned unsettles the defence when he's left out. He wouldn't even be my fourth choice CB never mind first, he's only there for experience!

Woodgate is a liability, I don't buy this 'classy player' nonsense. I know it's a game of opinions but there's too many people harking back to a player that was not what there is. He's too slow, unfit and injury prone, gets turned far too easily and as mentioned unsettles the defence when he's left out. He wouldn't even be my fourth choice CB never mind first, he's only there for experience!

Slow, lethargic, injury prone and error prone now, shouldn't be near our first team next season.

Slow, lethargic, injury prone and error prone now, shouldn't be near our first team next season.

Agreed.

The manager says whoever performs in training and on the pitch gets the shirt, Woody can't do it consistently so I think he'll miss out and we'll see a settled partnership at CB, just don't know who out of the 3 will miss out.

Agreed.

Agreed X2

Woody will start every Saturday if fit. Might be on the bench for the midweek games, injuries permitting.

unbelievable :-/

I think the overriding concern is that Woodgate just doesn't have the consistency when it comes to his fitness. He does have the experience though, and he's talked about being more proactive in his desire to coach once his boots are finally hung up.

So have Woody in the squad as someone with top level experience and a passion for our club, but as a reserve for the team. That also throws up the question of who should be our regular on-field captain week in, week out (or as close to as AK's system will allow).

As Snowblind makes reference to, how often is it that we get a consistent defensive partnership that just gels? Omeruo & Gibson can be the future and once we're promoted, get Kenneth signed permanently. (Cue Ali Brownlee references of nostalgic Cooper & Pally days.)

Stepping away from defence, what's the latest with the DG situation? Has that quietened off?

The manager says whoever performs in training and on the pitch gets the shirt, Woody can't do it consistently so I think he'll miss out and we'll see a settled partnership at CB, just don't know who out of the 3 will miss out.

While I do agree with you, the club captain will be in the first choice XI, and I don't see AK upsetting the apple cart and making, for example, Friend captain, so it will be either Woody or Leadbitter, and I think Woody's experience at the top level, local ties and the fact that Leadbitter may be leaving at the end of the season will tip the scales in Woodgate's favour

Hi guys I'm so excited for this new season, I was impressed almost immediately with Karanka when he took over and I think he is going to at least lead us into the playoffs this season.

I have no idea how good Kike is but I trust in Karanka.

If somehow we pull of the Vossen deal......Exciting times ahead.

Stepping away from defence, what's the latest with the DG situation? Has that quietened off?

Think Vickers said the other day its not looking as likely now, ill try to find the quote

I think Woodgate will be used on plenty of occasions. There will be plenty of times when experience will be needed, there will be times when energy is needed, mix and match according to needs of the game.