oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

The manager says whoever performs in training and on the pitch gets the shirt, Woody can't do it consistently so I think he'll miss out and we'll see a settled partnership at CB, just don't know who out of the 3 will miss out.

While I do agree with you, the club captain will be in the first choice XI, and I don't see AK upsetting the apple cart and making, for example, Friend captain, so it will be either Woody or Leadbitter, and I think Woody's experience at the top level, local ties and the fact that Leadbitter may be leaving at the end of the season will tip the scales in Woodgate's favour

There are plenty of examples of a club captain not been a regular. ***nal last season is the most obvious one, the captain was sacrificed to form the best defensive partnership, the same will happen here. Woody will be club captain and as it stands GL will be the on the field captain.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woodgate is a liability, I don't buy this 'classy player' nonsense. I know it's a game of opinions but there's too many people harking back to a player that was not what there is. He's too slow, unfit and injury prone, gets turned far too easily and as mentioned unsettles the defence when he's left out. He wouldn't even be my fourth choice CB never mind first, he's only there for experience!

Slow, lethargic, injury prone and error prone now, shouldn't be near our first team next season.

I've heard it all now. He's the best central defender I've seen play for Boro in my 25 years of watching. Even now he's a class above all else. I'm in two minds because I think a settled back four makes a big difference to a teams stability, having said that the formation we play allows a lot of protection which means there's a hell of a lot less stress on the back four. It's a tricky decision especially given out lack of experience on the pitch without Woody.

On Juke that Alan nixon (@reluctantnicko) on twitter seems adamant that it just boro playing mind games in regard to juke being close to a burnley deal. Despite all the other press saying otherwise.

He seems highly regarded in regard to transfer knowledge. I guess we will find out if thats true!

Woodgate is a liability, I don't buy this 'classy player' nonsense. I know it's a game of opinions but there's too many people harking back to a player that was not what there is. He's too slow, unfit and injury prone, gets turned far too easily and as mentioned unsettles the defence when he's left out. He wouldn't even be my fourth choice CB never mind first, he's only there for experience!

Slow, lethargic, injury prone and error prone now, shouldn't be near our first team next season.

I've heard it all now. He's the best central defender I've seen play for Boro in my 25 years of watching. Even now he's a class above all else. I'm in two minds because I think a settled back four makes a big difference to a teams stability, having said that the formation we play allows a lot of protection which means there's a hell of a lot less stress on the back four. It's a tricky decision especially given out lack of experience on the pitch without Woody.

I agree with you Humpty - although he isn't the defender he was first time round , he is still the best man marking defender we have. Both times last year against Burnley, he didn't let Ings have a kick either game. Yes he is a little slow now but positionally he is first class. Like most older defenders, you need to put the legs in around him.

On Juke that Alan nixon (@reluctantnicko) on twitter seems adamant that it just boro playing mind games in regard to juke being close to a burnley deal. Despite all the other press saying otherwise.

He seems highly regarded in regard to transfer knowledge. I guess we will find out if thats true!

Would make sense. If you have got a few clubs interested, and you are trying to sell ASAP, you will have to make some noise, exaggerate interests etc, force the hands of other clubs. It's like some high stakes chess game with multiple players involved.

I agree with you Humpty - although he isn't the defender he was first time round , he is still the best man marking defender we have. Both times last year against Burnley, he didn't let Ings have a kick either game. Yes he is a little slow now but positionally he is first class. Like most older defenders, you need to put the legs in around him.

I'll third that, still an abosulte beast at this level. His reading of the game is second to none and as far as I'm aware, him coming into the team has never unsettled the defence at all, he just slots in...

I'm not sure if you only get a good idea of how good he is when your at the games but I'd certainly be playing him whenever possible. In an ideal world it would nice to have an adapable manager who could change it up to 352 or similar if we have enough CB's fit and had a decent RB

It's not a question of who's the best single centre back, but who is the best pairing. Woody is clearly in a class on his own, but injuries and age take their toll, for me the best defences have a settle pairing, Woody been available 1 in 3 is not settled, so I'd go with him on the bench.

Jutkiewicz deal to be confirmed as Boro try to land a Terrier

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough/read_article/11338071.Jutkiewicz_deal_to_be_confirmed_as_Boro_try_to_land_a_Terrier/

it's the echo but we can hope.

There is no issue regarding Wiodgate's quality, the issue is how often he can get on the pitch and whether his coming and going affects the team greater than his influence when he plays.

From that Echo article: "It has emerged that Cyrus Christie, the Coventry full-back, was also on the radar before he joined Derby last week."

Didn't someone on here mention his name? They really do get their leads from here, don't they

Update on Juke. That Alan Nixon has just told a Bolton fan that their club has been informed that burnley have now agreed a deal and jukes on his way for a medical.

He seems like a bit of an @rse that Nixon. Hes been spouting off for weeks about boro playing "silly games" and trying to make a profit on him. Well it seems to have worked so now he looks a bit of a numpty! :D

So according to that article we are still trying to get Vossen in as well. Wonder if it's just a smokescreen for another number 10 although I hope not, our squad could be really quite exciting by the end of the week.

I agree with humpty....yet again it appears

My belief if he is fit he plays because rotation of the defence will be important due to injuries, suspensions etc etc. He is a true professional and it will not make any difference regarding a settled back four indeed our younger defenders can still learn a lot from him