oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

There's no guarantee the players brought in from the sales of our top players will perform to the top standards we know the likes of Adomah, Leadbitter and Carayol can perform. These players are top championship players, we should supplement them with quality not replace them. You build on your weaknesses...right back, centre midfield etc. selling these players means we need I not only build on our weaknesses but replace out quality. It's like starting from scratch. I don't understand the logic behind selling assets when we don't need too.

You mean the top standards that we see from them once in a while? The hardest to replace would be Adomah in my opinion but we also don't know what will happen to these players next season. A top bid for any player will be considered should we feel we have the right replacements lined up and I'd expect Karanka to have an idea of the players he could get should he decide the time is right to cash in on another player.

I don't think it will happen with either Leadbitter or Adomah unless we're talking silly money and would still expect Steele to be the player we're most likely to sell.

In an ideal world, yes, you keep all of your best players and add to them but what we do know is that finances are tight and the current squad we have simply wasn't good enough and we need investment in real quality players. Players that Karanka believes can do better than our current players in the system that we play.

Again we're talking about getting much more money than we should for a player, which would allow us to replace AND add. If it's just regular fees for them then I don't think we would sell.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the battling part is down to the fact that prem teams are in for him. Not sure on this situation, he didn't quite cut it in the second half of the season like he did in the first half. I'd prefer to hang onto him, but if a big money offer came in from another league then I'd be tempted to accept it and use the cash to really strengthen the squad, the same goes for every player we currently have.

I'd say, no matter what the offer was, we say no to any potential promotion rivals. We don't want to potentially strengthen teams around us.

In terms of football though for Albert . Would he really want to leave Boro for Forest? Would that really be a step up ? I could thoroughly understand though if he wanted away to a premier league club.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but i guy i work with said that we're in for Pavel Pogrebnyak, was in the Gazette apparently.....

I don't think he's ITK by any means, so may well just be paper talk.

There's no guarantee the players brought in from the sales of our top players will perform to the top standards we know the likes of Adomah, Leadbitter and Carayol can perform. These players are top championship players, we should supplement them with quality not replace them. You build on your weaknesses...right back, centre midfield etc. selling these players means we need I not only build on our weaknesses but replace out quality. It's like starting from scratch. I don't understand the logic behind selling assets when we don't need too.

Absolutely right, that is why although boro might not consider selling our best players, if we are offered something daft, we would still let them go, that way, we could replace him with equal or better players PLUS have some money left over to improve other areas of the squad.

I think therein lies the problem of how do you define "daft" money. I think if you keep raising the price, up to a point where all the fans in the forum will say, "no one in their right mind would offer that amount"/"Adomah is not worth that much"/etc then I think take that price and maybe add another 20%, that will be the price we are willing to accept for players like Adomah and Friend.

£10m for Adomah anyone?

If we lose Adomah and don't replace him, then the team loses a lot of width and pace in the attacking third (if he's not adequately replaced). Also, when Carayol comes back the team becomes unbalanced, the same way it was while we had Downing on the left and nothing of note on the right.

Probably just my OCD but I like balance, it keeps the team flexible in terms of passing and moving forward and stretches the oppotion because they can't 'ignore' 1 of the wings.

I expect the Vossen deal is still being very much discussed between the two parties on a daily basis. I can imagine any transfer fee agreed being a structured, yearly payment as they usually are but with either a promotion bonus in there or more likely, if we get promoted, the remainder of any transfer fees to be paid upfront at that point.

I think Karanka is viewing the likes of Reach/L.Williams/Morris as 'NEW' players who are of a decent-ish Championship level to fill in when needed, concentrating on spending the majority of his transfer kitty on players that can make the difference in a game and massively improve on outgoing players... as well as giving the fans something to come to the games to see.

He's doing a very good job, and I know most said this about Mowbray when he first rescued us from relegation... I'm very impressed so far.

If we lose Adomah and don't replace him, then the team loses a lot of width and pace in the attacking third (if he's not adequately replaced). Also, when Carayol comes back the team becomes unbalanced, the same way it was while we had Downing on the left and nothing of note on the right.

Probably just my OCD but I like balance, it keeps the team flexible in terms of passing and moving forward and stretches the oppotion because they can't 'ignore' 1 of the wings.

That's right. Having sold Emnes, with Carayol out injured, we have hardly any speedsters left, definitely at risk of being too one dimensional if we start losing all our pacier players.

If there's Premiership interest, then Adomah will, more than likely, want to talk to those clubs, unfrotuantely. He's certainly not a player i'd like to see leave, but if he was going to move - i'd prefer it to be in the Summer Window as oppose to the January window; would mean any replacement we sign had more time to bed in, get used to the set-up and the system and we'd not have to take the 'New Year Risk.'

For me, nothing short of £5m+ from a Premier League club, and don't even entertain offers from Championship clubs. I'm not saying he's worth £5m, but i'd not accept a penny less for him.

It all depends on Karanka's out look, though. If he is looking to bring in Vossen as the No. 10 and have Tomlin play the AML role - i.e. Not a natural winger, more of an Inside Left Forward - then the cash could give us funds to balance up the system a bit more. A player like Nick Powell or Jesse Lingard on loan would fit nicely into that AMR slot. Or, if the Chelsea route were to be usedm it brings in the option of a Ulises Davila.

Either way, I trust Karanka's judgement. He'll know far more about the situation, Adomah's mind-set, and who he wants in his preferred system than any of us do. So...

In Karanka We Trust!