• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree that I dont want George to go, and if he had 2-3 years on his contract then I would reject a bid of £4.5m out of hand given the ultimate goal, and what that goal brings money wise. However, he hasnt got 2-3 years left, he has 10 months. The ideal scenario for me is that he agrees a new contract before the window shuts for 3-4 years with the clause that he can leave if a bid comes in next summer for £5m and we dont get promoted. Will this happen, I doubt it.

I've already said Im not worried about FFP, but I am trying to think like SG would. There is no use in us blindly saying he is not to be sold because we dont care about the finances only to be let down when he is sold because of the finances. That would be a really naive way of thinking. The somple fact is, if SG gets a bid of £4.5m for a guy in the last year or his contract, and he has just the slightest of doubts that we will be promoted, then he will cash in, and try to bring in a less expensive, yet just as effective, replacement. He is a Boro fan, but he is also a very astute businessman.

The notion that we should sell our best players "if the price is right" is seriously flawed in my opinion. If the best in the league are already in our squad, how the blazes can we replace them with better at all, never mind for a profit? It simply doesn't make sense.

This season is shaping up to be our best-ever shot at returning to the big time and grabbing the £80m that awaits there.

This. We cant play a pile of cash at lb. George is proven at this level. If we want out of this league we need to keep our best players and take the risk that they MIGHT not sign a new deal.

Absolutely agree. A lot of the pride I have in being a Boro fan is, as proven with the outlay and the sheer hard work gone into a securing the players we have this pre-season, that we have a chairman who knows that bigger finances come in time with success; there are too many chairmen who take the money simply to have better looking bank statements.

We don't need to sell: we know this is a pretty much make-or-break season and to have the success we need means holding on to the best players we have. As with the dismissal of the AA bids/enquiries, it's clear that Gibson is focused on backing his manager with the players Karanka wants and needs, without making the odd bob here and there from sales we don't desperately need to make and which could see the wheels come off. (Thanks largely to Mogga's time re-balancing the books too.)

Aside from actual ability of our players and the matchday tactics, I genuinely think Steve Gibson's trust and faith in his manager, alongside his openness with him is a major reason why teams like Forest are going to see us above them at the end of the season. A head coach 100% focused on his team with the knowledge he won't have to keep battling with his chairman in order to justify keeping any of the team he's built.

This post became somewhat more impassioned and longer than I intended. I bet Friend has been sold by the time I've posted it... ;-)

Ahem Have I not being saying for an age now that Steve Gibson told my lad that Boro were going for 3 yes three (spelt) strikers.

Spot on with JuanFran so let's believe this information

Agree about George and any other player in that bracket, that if we are to get to the promised land then we need these players with us to be able to do it. No good having £4.5m in the bank if it means we weaken the side and have less of a chance getting there. I know it's not as black and white as this but i think it is a valid point. We don't want need to sell our better players if we are aiming for the top.

So glad we have Clayton

I don't think Friend will go unless we get a ludicrous bid, not a tempting or even a good one. SG wants us back in the big time and we simply won't achieve this by selling off our best players, however adequately they are replaced. Aitor would be furious i reckon if we start selling players like george. This is one of those classic moments where the ambition of the club hangs in the balance, hold on and gamble or sell and be at least financially safer.

To keep a manager like Aitor, we need to show in the championship that we have ambition.

Graeme Bailey just retweeted the Gazette article from a week ago where they said Butterfield was due for talks with Huddersfield but not as part of the Clayton deal :D

Really we need to be offering Friend a contract with a 'promotion' clause for wage increase to Prem levels, in the meantime, a substantial % increase per year over the course of his contract if promotion isn't gained... together with a minimum release clause if a premiership club takes his fancy in the meantime... but then the club know all this.

In the meantime, can't see him going in this window so let's enjoy gorgeous for the man he is (still remember the time I was stood just 1 foot from him at Darlington train station :heart:)