oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

So people think Graham wouldn't come to play second fiddle but at the same time want Vossen! Does that mean Kike then has to play second fiddle if we get Vossen???? Don't see why anyone has to be told they won't be first choice, it will be down to how they perform whether they are first choice surely. Isnt that, what having a quality squad is all about!

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The on going saga of what strikers we will be getting at the club will thankfully be over once the window has shut but food for thought in that SG has indicated that he wants to put bums on seats (helps with finances) so what striker signings would possibly do just that in terms of names already being linked with Boro.

In my opinion I think we would see a lot more turn up if it was Vossen and Bamford or Vossen and Graham as opposed to Bamford and Graham

I'd be slightly disappointed with Bamford and Graham. I think Bamford could do a decent job, and would have had Graham had we not signed Kike, but dont see an 'alternative from the bench' if we have them both.

It is no more than three weeks ago that we were being told to expect an exciting offensive signing. Without being negative toward them, I wouldnt consider Bamford or Graham as 'Exciting'.

Also, interesting that a lot of fans are now taking it as Gospel that we will be playing Bamford and Kike as a 2, despite all the talk of 4-2-3-1 being AK's system, and AK saying he would play 2 up top if he had 'the right players'. Are we therefore saying he is going to change his philosophy on the signing of loan player?, or is this still a back up option if the 4-2-3-1 isnt working. Or are we looking to play Bamford in the CAM role meaning we are pushing Tomlin out of position. I hope not

Do you then think that Vossen is the only answer?

Chelsea seem to think that Bamford & Baker are decent enough

No, not at all. I want someone exciting that can unlock a defense. Tomlin has shown he can in glimpses. Kike has shown he can finish. After that I'm not so sure. Bamfords 8 in 21 isnt going to get us promoted and DG over his career has shown that he needs regular football to get regular goals. I cant see him being a regular.

Baker looks good, but are you comfortable that he will provide enough.

Going back to Prowlers point, Alves would have scored plenty had he had a decent supplyline. My worry is that Kike wont get enough supply. I think Vossen could remedy that. But I dont think he is the only one that could. I'm not convinced that the others regularly mentioned on here could.

I'd be slightly disappointed with Bamford and Graham. I think Bamford could do a decent job, and would have had Graham had we not signed Kike, but dont see an 'alternative from the bench' if we have them both.

It is no more than three weeks ago that we were being told to expect an exciting offensive signing. Without being negative toward them, I wouldnt consider Bamford or Graham as 'Exciting'.

Also, interesting that a lot of fans are now taking it as Gospel that we will be playing Bamford and Kike as a 2, despite all the talk of 4-2-3-1 being AK's system, and AK saying he would play 2 up top if he had 'the right players'. Are we therefore saying he is going to change his philosophy on the signing of loan player?, or is this still a back up option if the 4-2-3-1 isnt working. Or are we looking to play Bamford in the CAM role meaning we are pushing Tomlin out of position. I hope not

No, not at all. I want someone exciting that can unlock a defense. Tomlin has shown he can in glimpses. Kike has shown he can finish. After that I'm not so sure. Bamfords 8 in 21 isnt going to get us promoted and DG over his career has shown that he needs regular football to get regular goals. I cant see him being a regular.

Going back to Prowlers point, Alves would have scored plenty had he had a decent supplyline. My worry is that Kike wont get enough supply. I think Vossen could remedy that. But I dont think he is the only one that could. I'm not convinced that the others regularly mentioned on here could.

8 in 21 would statistically suggest that he would hit around 17 goals over a whole campaign if he plays every game. If Kike delivers 20+ goals over the season then we will have a strikeforce that scores almost 40 goals between them which will definately see us up there.

Saying Bamfords 8 in 21 won't get us promoted is rubbish. Jamie Vardy scored 16 for Leicester last season and they were convincing Champions with Nugent getting 20.

8 in 21 would statistically suggest that he would hit around 17 goals over a whole campaign if he plays every game. If Kike delivers 20+ goals over the season then we will have a strikeforce that scores almost 40 goals between them which will definately see us up there.

Saying Bamfords 8 in 21 won't get us promoted is rubbish. Jamie Vardy scored 16 for Leicester last season and they were convincing Champions with Nugent getting 20.

And going back to my original post, are we really going to change AK's preferred systme because of a loan signing. If so, then yes, we may get 40 goals between them this season, and promotion is a given. However, I doubt he will. Dont get me wrong, I dont like 4-2-3-1, but that is what he is going to play. Therefore its Bamford or Kike (or one of them playing behind), and from that system I highly doubt that one will get 20 odd while the other gets 17.

If 4-2-3-1 is to be the system, unless we want to go back to playing square pegs, which I'm sure we are all pretty sick of, then we need a proper supply line. We need to create a lot of chances, and we need our lone striker to get 30, (or at least 50 between the striker and 3 behind). Hence we need another good number 10.

Vardy and Nugent were strike partners.

I saw someone above say not sure if Kike would get the supply... my take on it is that he seems to need far fewer chances than our Strikers did last season (and many before) to score a goal. That coupled with the more potent threat of Tomlin behind him (than the likes of Emnes, or Leadbitter playing advanced as seemed to be the options for most of last season) plus more attacking ability of Clayton>Whitehead and by the early looks of it, Abella>Varga,,, seems to suggest a more creative unit than last season.

If you think we missed the playoffs by 'maybe' missing too many chances in tight games last season, welook in a much better position, even right now before any remaining targets are brought in.