oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

There's no guarantee the players brought in from the sales of our top players will perform to the top standards we know the likes of Adomah, Leadbitter and Carayol can perform. These players are top championship players, we should supplement them with quality not replace them. You build on your weaknesses...right back, centre midfield etc. selling these players means we need I not only build on our weaknesses but replace out quality. It's like starting from scratch. I don't understand the logic behind selling assets when we don't need too.

You mean the top standards that we see from them once in a while? The hardest to replace would be Adomah in my opinion but we also don't know what will happen to these players next season. A top bid for any player will be considered should we feel we have the right replacements lined up and I'd expect Karanka to have an idea of the players he could get should he decide the time is right to cash in on another player.

I don't think it will happen with either Leadbitter or Adomah unless we're talking silly money and would still expect Steele to be the player we're most likely to sell.

In an ideal world, yes, you keep all of your best players and add to them but what we do know is that finances are tight and the current squad we have simply wasn't good enough and we need investment in real quality players. Players that Karanka believes can do better than our current players in the system that we play.

Again we're talking about getting much more money than we should for a player, which would allow us to replace AND add. If it's just regular fees for them then I don't think we would sell.

No I chose those players because of their consistency. You could maybe exclude Carayol on the basis of consistency, however there are few players around that can change a game like he can which is why included him.

We know we're getting minimum 7/10 every game from these players, that breeds consistency and consistency hugely improves your chances of achieving promotion.

I agree with Astoria (I think it was) that said under no circumstances should one of those players be sold unless it's for over the top money. Of course every player has a price, but when you're in our situation (really going for promotion) that price needs to reflect not only the value of said player but a sum that reflects the risk in having to buy a like-for-like replacement.

I've noticed a lot of people are saying sell Steele and I can understand why given we have three goalkeepers at the club, but the fees that are being quoted are ludicrously low. We have a goalkeeper that's represented England at every level less full, has yet to get close to reaching his peak whom we have witnessed put in top quality performances for long periods. He's had his bad spells that's true, but we have no idea of the quality of Meijas, even Karanka has a limited judgement given the lack of 1st team football he's played and a goalkeeper that's put in some decent performances over 10 odd games yet made a number of mistakes and has never played higher than the current level in his 20 year career. I rate Steele and I can see the reasons for letting him go, personally I think he's a gem and I'd keep him but at least don't let him leave unless it's a considerable sum.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's no guarantee the players brought in from the sales of our top players will perform to the top standards we know the likes of Adomah, Leadbitter and Carayol can perform. These players are top championship players, we should supplement them with quality not replace them. You build on your weaknesses...right back, centre midfield etc. selling these players means we need I not only build on our weaknesses but replace out quality. It's like starting from scratch. I don't understand the logic behind selling assets when we don't need too.

You mean the top standards that we see from them once in a while? The hardest to replace would be Adomah in my opinion but we also don't know what will happen to these players next season. A top bid for any player will be considered should we feel we have the right replacements lined up and I'd expect Karanka to have an idea of the players he could get should he decide the time is right to cash in on another player.

I don't think it will happen with either Leadbitter or Adomah unless we're talking silly money and would still expect Steele to be the player we're most likely to sell.

In an ideal world, yes, you keep all of your best players and add to them but what we do know is that finances are tight and the current squad we have simply wasn't good enough and we need investment in real quality players. Players that Karanka believes can do better than our current players in the system that we play.

Again we're talking about getting much more money than we should for a player, which would allow us to replace AND add. If it's just regular fees for them then I don't think we would sell.

No I chose those players because of their consistency. You could maybe exclude Carayol on the basis of consistency, however there are few players around that can change a game like he can which is why included him.

We know we're getting minimum 7/10 every game from these players, that breeds consistency and consistency hugely improves your chances of achieving promotion.

I agree with Astoria (I think it was) that said under no circumstances should one of those players be sold unless it's for over the top money. Of course every player has a price, but when you're in our situation (really going for promotion) that price needs to reflect not only the value of said player but a sum that reflects the risk in having to buy a like-for-like replacement.

I've noticed a lot of people are saying sell Steele and I can understand why given we have three goalkeepers at the club, but the fees that are being quoted are ludicrously low. We have a goalkeeper that's represented England at every level less full, has yet to get close to reaching his peak whom we have witnessed put in top quality performances for long periods. He's had his bad spells that's true, but we have no idea of the quality of Meijas, even Karanka has a limited judgement given the lack of 1st team football he's played and a goalkeeper that's put in some decent performances over 10 odd games yet made a number of mistakes and has never played higher than the current level in his 20 year career. I rate Steele and I can see the reasons for letting him go, personally I think he's a gem and I'd keep him but at least don't let him leave unless it's a considerable sum.

I don't disagree with you about Steele, I think he's a quality keeper. I just think he'll be available if the price is right.

I'm still waiting for the weekly 7/10 from Leadbitter :D I thought he had some cracking games last season but also let himself down with too many poor performances in between. I still think he's good enough though but just think with good money offered he'd be replaceable.

In other news, I just read on flyme that we're close to agreeing a deal for Jonathan Castro Otto, a Spanish right back? And the other player we're in for is Lex Immers.

Goodbye Juke. Never did get round to learning how to spell your surname properly. Oh well

It's JUTIKIEVICZ

I doubt anybody noticed that...

Same thing with Steele though regarding his contract. It's all well and good saying hold on to him but if he turns round in January and signs for someone else we lose him for peanuts.

Only the people running the club will know if these players intend to sign new contracts or not. I think if any of them are sold it will be solely down to us not taking the risk.

You talk about starting from scratch if we sell them now, but at least we would have money for them, imagine having to replace them all having got bugger all money in.

I'd hate to see Adomah and friend leave and rather not have to sell leadbitter. But if we do sell any of them it's because Gibson thinks it's for the best of the club. He's turned down big offers before so he's not scared to say no.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/tag/jonathan-castro-otto/#

Middlesbrough chase highly rated Celta Vigo right back

By Liam Marshall ⋅ May 18, 2014 ⋅ Post a comment

Middlesbrough are interested in signing Jonathan Castro Otto. the young right-back who has come through Celta’s youth ranks. The highly rated 20 year-old full back has notched up 77 appearances for Celta Vigo in just two seasons, showing maturity and class throughout. This is something the Middlesbrough manager will be looking to add to after […]

this may be an old story revisited... a player we've previously been linked with?

Humpty, we're a Championship club without a great deal of revenue. I know a lot of people seem to think that Gibson is just going to spend whatever he likes but that isn't going to be the case. If we break FFP there will be consequences for us such as a transfer ban and this could be a problem if/when we have to sell players and we can't replace them.

All of our players are for sale and if the price is right then they'll go. I don't know how people including yourself are defining 'we don't need to sell' but to me the need bit is the issue. Did we need to sell Juke? I would say we did need to sell him to fund other transfers. So the need is there. If people are talking about need to sell to keep the club afloat then yes we probably don't.

If clubs come in for bids of a certain amount then those players you mention will be sold and we'll use the money to bring in other players to strengthen the squad. This idea that there are players that can't be sold is pretty silly and goes against reality. Wasn't it last summer that Steele was on a list of players that couldn't be sold? Emnes was also on that list from memory. A season later and Emnes is gone and Steele will go at the first sign of a reasonable offer.

Everybody is for sale, you're dreaming if you think otherwise and you're also dreaming if you think we can ignore FFP and do what we like.

I hope the fans are patient with these potential foreign signings... traditionally you don't see the best from them until a bedding in season. Hopefully they can hit the ground running, benefitting from a pre-season if we can get A.N.Others in in time ;)

Goodbye Juke. Never did get round to learning how to spell your surname properly. Oh well

It's JUTIKIEVICZ

Great answer. Poor edit :D

lol, the problem with trying to be clever is that if you don't properly read what people have written it can backfire on you :D

It's JUTIKIEVICZ

lol, the problem with trying to be clever is that if you don't properly read what people have written it can backfire on you :D

I'm pretty certain it's actually Jutkiewicz. Time for a second edit? :p

It's JUTIKIEVICZ

You're right but I was too flustered with the first edit trying to do it quickly so nobody noticed. I can no longer continue with the charade and edit further. My stupidity must remain for all to see :( :D

It's JUTIKIEVICZ

You're right but I was too flustered with the first edit trying to do it quickly so nobody noticed. I can no longer continue with the charade and edit further. My stupidity must remain for all to see :( :D

To commemorate this day you should change the tag under your name from 'senior member' to 'master of spelling' :)

Humpty, we're a Championship club without a great deal of revenue. I know a lot of people seem to think that Gibson is just going to spend whatever he likes but that isn't going to be the case. If we break FFP there will be consequences for us such as a transfer ban and this could be a problem if/when we have to sell players and we can't replace them.

All of our players are for sale and if the price is right then they'll go. I don't know how people including yourself are defining 'we don't need to sell' but to me the need bit is the issue. Did we need to sell Juke? I would say we did need to sell him to fund other transfers. So the need is there. If people are talking about need to sell to keep the club afloat then yes we probably don't.

If clubs come in for bids of a certain amount then those players you mention will be sold and we'll use the money to bring in other players to strengthen the squad. This idea that there are players that can't be sold is pretty silly and goes against reality. Wasn't it last summer that Steele was on a list of players that couldn't be sold? Emnes was also on that list from memory. A season later and Emnes is gone and Steele will go at the first sign of a reasonable offer.

Everybody is for sale, you're dreaming if you think otherwise and you're also dreaming if you think we can ignore FFP and do what we like.

I dont think youve been following my posts CT. I am the FFP preacher!

Youve not really read my post either. I understand what youre saying, but Im not sure why you think its silly to keep hold of your most consistent players and add quality to that? Its fundamental team building. Sell your underperforming players Juke, Emnes, Kamara, Butterfield and buy, loan and free transfer where youre weak...right back & centre midfield Etc As far as im aware thats exactly what we're doing. Seems silly not too when the chairman has signalled his ibtent to push for promotion.