oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

He likes the club but he would probably like to play in the premiership aswell, if he loves the club that much then why hasn't he signed a new contract? Most likely his agent has told him to wait until January and see what offers come in from other teams. But can we afford to let him do that or do we accept a high offer if it comes in the summer?

It's easy to say 'keep our best players', but when the majority of our income is from player sales you have to start being much more careful with situations like this. The fact that 3 of our biggest assets are all in the same situation contract wise is scary. We could go into next summer having to replace Steele, leadbitter and friend after having received no fee for any of them.

Dam Agents!!!! I couldn't see anyone making a big offer when they could wait till January and offer him a deal then. I wonder what is going on with the contract offers then???

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not a simple as giving them a new contract though is it. What if they don't want to sign a new contract or want a huge wage increase that the club thinks is too much and that the money would buy a good replacement, with potential to be better(James Husband?) and even more money to strengthen other areas that we otherwise wouldn't be able to afford. That will most likely be the thought process that will go through Gibson, Bauser, Karanka etc's minds if we get good money offered for any of our players, especially those that have just 1 year left to run as their values go from several million to not a single penny within that short period.

Also if their head gets turned by a PL club offering them a massive wage increase and playing in a higher league that we can't compete with then we will be fighting a losing battle.

If we couldn't reach a mutual agreement to extend their contracts, Friend, Leadbitter and Carayol could walk out of the club next summer without us receiving a penny or we could sell them this summer for a minimum of £6 million(guestimate?) that we will be able to reinvest in the squad and buy high quality replacements for all the areas. If we lost them on frees in a years time then we will be scrapping around with no money to buy replacements and as a whole will have a much weaker squad the next season.

It's not a simple as giving them a new contract though is it. What if they don't want to sign a new contract or want a huge wage increase that the club thinks is too much and that the money would buy a good replacement, with potential to be better(James Husband?) and even more money to strengthen other areas that we otherwise wouldn't be able to afford. That will most likely be the thought process that will go through Gibson, Bauser, Karanka etc's minds if we get good money offered for any of our players, especially those that have just 1 year left to run as their values go from several million to not a single penny within that short period.

Also if their head gets turned by a PL club offering them a massive wage increase and playing in a higher league that we can't compete with then we will be fighting a losing battle.

If we couldn't reach a mutual agreement to extend their contracts, Friend, Leadbitter and Carayol could walk out of the club next summer without us receiving a penny or we could sell them this summer for a minimum of £6 million(guestimate?) that we will be able to reinvest in the squad and buy high quality replacements for all the areas. If we lost them on frees in a years time then we will be scrapping around with no money to buy replacements and as a whole will have a much weaker squad the next season.

Wow!! That was a lot of ifs there. To my knowledge there was been no bid for and of these player this year so r u suggestion approaching clubs to buy them???

If a club comes in for any of our players with 1 year left that we can't get to agree to a contract extension(at a affordable wage) then it would be naïve for us to turn down good offers for them because "we shouldn't sell our best players".

We aren't a big club anymore and don't have the revenues to be able to let our best players walk out on free transfers so we have to be extra vigilant to run ourselves like a business and realise that at the end of the day our players are effectively assets and we need to protect their values by contract extensions where mutually agreeable but also know under what circumstances we should remunerate in order to reinvest in the squad.

All well run football clubs make difficult decisions with selling players yet they can continue to grow and be successful. If you think it doesn't happen all around the world then you're burying your head in the sand trying not to admit that it's how modern day football operates.

If a player is not willing to sign a new contract then we really need to be selling them 18 months before the contract is up, when the contract only has a year to run then your looking at a reduced value already if clubs know you need to sell. The likes of Friend and Leadbitter are key players for this club but at least if they are sold this summer we can replace them at least. We should be looking at 2 million for Friend and Leadbitter each, I think we would struggle to get much at all for carayol with how long he has been injured

Which other contracts are up at the end of the season btw?

Steele, Friend, Leadbitter, Whitehead, Smallwood, Ledesma, Carayol, L.Williams, Main and Kamara.

There will probably be a few others like Hines and Halliday?.

I think we need to calm down a bit tbh, I'm sure the majority of those players will sign new contracts especially with us being in the prem next season :P

Alright guys, been lurking for the last few months, occasionally popping on the check out and transfer gossip/rumours. Safe to say I haven't seen many people against the signing of Jelle Vossen.

I personally think he could be an excellent signing in this league, I must admit when the news broke about the amount we spent on Kike I couldn't help but feel anxious than optimistic. I thought we'd blown the majority of our transfer budget on the unknown. Really looking forward to Birmingham to hopefully see the guy play...

Regarding Vossen, if we somehow manage to pull it off, I think it would be an excellent move by Karanka/Gibson. Not only does he appear to be a decent talent, but I think that type of signing will bring some fans back to the Riverside. I'm personally impressed by the backing Gibbo is giving KK and can't wait for the new season.

Reading previous posts about Carayol/Adomah leaving, I think we'd be fools. Even if Karanka wants to change our style of play, time and time again Boro have been in the situation where were at a stalemate and we have no options to bring on. Looking at last season its safe to say pace scares the life out of the average Championship defences in this league.

Personally, I think this could be the year! (Said that the last 4 years)

In Karanka we trust!

I think vossen would be the spark the supporters are looking for, but going but what vickers says it looks like he's more of an option than a must have. Personally I think we should just go get him as it would really get the fans behind the team. Hopefully he really is our big target and were just playing games.

I'm not particularly for or against Vossen in all honesty. I've never seen him play and I don't think he's ripped up trees in the Belgian league as far as I'm aware. I'm at a loss to know where the hype has come from. We've got a very capable #10 in the squad already, so I see no pressing need to blow £3-4 mil in him. I'd much rather we spend £3-4mil on a right back and centre midfielder.

Regarding RB... heres an alternative to all those previously mentioned

Jonathon Spector ....west ham havent allocated a squad number to him this season......not all that up on injuries etc but if he is not could be a cheap option with good schooling for this level ...