oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

if it is baker i'd be very happy with that but does make you wonder how it would affect luke williams

Hopefully get him to raise his game.

Is competition for positions only ok if it doesn't affect the young players?

The best way for young players to develop is to train and play with better players.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Baker is as good as reports suggest and he is brought in to compete for the #10 spot, then I wouldn't be happy with anything other then Luke Williams being sent out on loan. He still has a slight chance of having a future with us, and he is a very good young player, but he needs to play competitive football now. And, let's face it, he won't get that with us even if Baker doesn't come. Between the two of them Tomlin [vs Williams] is a nailed on starter. In an ideal world he'll get a good stint with a League 1 club, excel and come back to us stronger next season. His long-term future can be decided thereafter.

To be honest it is only Bamford I am really keen on the rest to me are just filling up spaces that at the moment seem to be adequately filled

Agreed. Chalobah was good at times without setting the world alight & McEchran was patchy to say the least. You just don't know what your going to get with young lads coming from another club, so would rather we stick with what we got & know. We got 4 adecuate CM's now with 2 young back ups. Smallwood is good enough cover for cup games/few games through injuries or suspensions, don't see why we would need a young Chelsea boy for this.

Generally speaking youth products from the bigger clubs will be better because they've been heavily scouted at a young age and then developed with quality players around them. On top of that the bigger available funding allows for greater development. That's a complete generalisation, but I do think that's more often the case then not. Of course their development past that young age is often stunted by the wealth of foreign talent big clubs often invest in. But right now that isn't our problem.

With regards to our own youth products, sometimes I think as fans we get carried away as to how good they actually are. Don't get me wrong, Luke Williams is a decent little player who could go far. But do we really think he's up there with the best #10s in this league right now? I for one would be a little worried if Tomlin picked up a serious injury in a few weeks time and we were left having to field a player who was not suited or not ready, shift our formation to play a less optimal system or bring in someone of less ability then we could achieve right now.

It makes total sense to me to bring in the highly rated Baker and loan out Williams. That is of course if he's as good as 'they' say he is, which isn't my judgement call to make!

Of course sometimes they're [our own youth products] just ready. I am aware of the many examples of that.

Sorry Guys, i text my friend and he told me it was baker and not Ake.. Dont shoot the messenger if it happens tomorrow but supposedly they both trained with the players today.. I have seen banford and im quite impressed but ive not heard anything on this baker, what position is he best played at?

Generally speaking youth products from the bigger clubs will be better because they've been heavily scouted at a young age and then developed with quality players around them. On top of that the bigger available funding allows for greater development. That's a complete generalisation, but I do think that's more often the case then not. Of course their development past that young age is often stunted by the wealth of foreign talent big clubs often invest in. But right now that isn't our problem.

With regards to our own youth products, sometimes I think as fans we get carried away as to how good they actually are. Don't get me wrong, Luke Williams is a decent little player who could go far. But do we really think he's up there with the best #10s in this league right now? I for one would be a little worried if Tomlin picked up a serious injury in a few weeks time and we were left having to field a player who was not suited or not ready, shift our formation to play a less optimal system or bring in someone of less ability then we could achieve right now.

It makes total sense to me to bring in the highly rated Baker and loan out Williams. That is of course if he's as good as 'they' say he is, which isn't my judgement call to make!

Of course sometimes they're just ready. I am aware of the many examples of that.

It was my understanding that we were looking to sign another #10. Do you think this signing will therefore be a loan signing from Chelsea?

I do hope then if Baker comes that Williams will get a longer term loan at least at the division 1 level or above and get regular game time.

Sorry Guys, i text my friend and he told me it was baker and not Ake.. Dont shoot the messenger if it happens tomorrow but supposedly they both trained with the players today.. I have seen banford and im quite impressed but ive not heard anything on this baker, what position is he best played at?

See Post: #10499

What about another forward?? Kike,Bamford still need at least one more....

from AV's blog

August 14, 2014 at 9:14 am

Boro’s transfer activity has been so relentless this summer I’ve lost track of which positions they’re still looking to bring players in for. Assuming the two Chelsea loanees arrive are we still looking for more players and for which positions? It’s shaping up to be one mighty squad.

**AV writes: One more striker, one left sided midfielder. Maybe a right-back but the Bosnian comes with a lot of red tape and is not seen as urgent now.

Of course sometimes they're just ready. I am aware of the many examples of that.

It was my understanding that we were looking to sign another #10. Do you think this signing will therefore be a loan signing from Chelsea?

Not that I'm aware of. Tomlin, Baker and another new #10 would certainly be too excessive in my opinion. Unless of course you are referring to Baker himself. In which case, if what others have said about him on here is the case, then he is that #10 who will compete for a spot with Tomlin.

I do hope then if Baker comes that Williams will get a longer term loan at least at the division 1 level or above and get regular game time.

Ditto.

Not that I'm aware of. Though Tomlin, Baker and another new #10 would certainly be too excessive in my opinion.

Ditto.

Yeah ok, must have got my wires crossed somewhere keeping tabs with all the speculation, appears Baker will be new #10, with Bamford #9. Then we're after another LW & RB? No more up front......... or are we??

One more up front IN ADDITION to bamford and kike, one more LW and possibly that Bosnia-Herzegovina RB

2+2 I actually meant it to phrase it in a way to indicate I was in agreement.

Not that I'm aware of. Though Tomlin, Baker and another new #10 would certainly be too excessive in my opinion.

Ditto.

Yeah ok, must have got my wires crossed somewhere keeping tabs with all the speculation, appears Baker will be new #10, with Bamford #9. Then we're after another LW & RB? No more up front......... or are we??

My take on it all...

Damia will be the new RB in all likelihood. Vrsajevic might come in too and be his competition.

Baker will probably come in as the #10 competition for Tomlin.

Bamford is likely to come in too. But I don't think he's really a #10 (not quite creative enough) and not really a CF (doesn't lead the line or hold the ball up well). He's best when played in a formation that has 2 strikers - which I think will happen occasionally but mostly we'll see him as a sub when we have a system change mid-game. But when the chances come he invariably gobbles them up, which is invaluable. He can strike the ball brilliantly from distance too.

We will bring in a mystery left-sided midfielder too it seems.

And another proper centre-forward to be direct competition with Kike.

That's a lot of incomings. All based on speculation, itk claims and what AV has had to say. But to me that's the way I see it developing at the moment.

One more up front IN ADDITION to bamford and kike, one more LW and possibly that Bosnia-Herzegovina RB

2+2 I actually meant it to phrase it in a way to indicate I was in agreement.

Yea I know. I was agreeing with the agreement, specifically the minimium league standard he needs to step up to now :D

At his age Luke Williams needs to play at League 1 or higher to have a chance of featuring prominently for us in the future.