oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

Now I'm no real expert on our youth team (for the record, where is Boroyouths these days?) but Smallwood and Burgess both going worries me a touch. These are young lads that until today, looked like first team players for the future. I alway liked Smallwood- he worked hard but maybe could have done with another good loan spell - I may be wrong and it's just my opinion but I'm worried we're letting these guys go unless there are real prospects that are coming in.

I hope that Bryn Morris isn't next out of the door.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Bryn Morris is in AKs plans but a loan deal this season for him. I think AK said last season more or less that he rates Morris highly so league one or at a push Hartlepool for the season. If he thrives this season he will perhaps challenge for Leadbitters place or become more regular in the squad next season.

I think Bryn Morris is in AKs plans but a loan deal this season for him. I think AK said last season more or less that he rates Morris highly so league one or at a push Hartlepool for the season. If he thrives this season he will perhaps take Leadbitters place or challenge for it next season given that his contract runs out at the end of the season.

Good stuff. Heard lots about him.

1min 40secs - looks good in the air :)

Smallwood was never going to a regular at boro so a move away is good for him. Too get any fee at all is good for us too. As for Burgees I don't no much about him other than he had a decent spell at pools last year. Losing him for 1 month isn't going to hurt anyone. If he does well we may get a relatively small but half decent fee for him.

Burgess is an absolute boss in FIFA at 2018. Scores headers nearly every corner. :D

yeah he's in my squad partnering Rolls Rhys...!

I've got Gibbo alongside Rhys just in front. Wonder team. Burgess sitting at 74/75 I think too atm.

Both are destined to have careers in the football league which is a credit to our academy but we don't want to be in the football league we want to be In the Premiership. I love having home grown players come in to the team but I prefer our team being successful. Even when our academy was at its best and most fruitful very few of our players became huge successes, many of them were given game time only to be moved on to lesser clubs- Josh Walker being a prime example. It's important for us to focus on bringing these players through but not at the expense of success. If the players we develop are sold on for future profit it's just as important as them players being in our squad.

Now I'm no real expert on our youth team (for the record, where is Boroyouths these days?) but Smallwood and Burgess both going worries me a touch. These are young lads that until today, looked like first team players for the future. I alway liked Smallwood- he worked hard but maybe could have done with another good loan spell - I may be wrong and it's just my opinion but I'm worried we're letting these guys go unless there are real prospects that are coming in.

I hope that Bryn Morris isn't next out of the door.

both have been in and around the squad for the last few years if not making the match day team. If Burgess has been sold along with smallwood it opens a gap for a few of the younger players like Atkinson, Morris and jones to start pushing for regular bench work like Fewster has. Whilst I would love a team developed from the youth,they need to be good enough. If we are serious about getting into the top flight neither of Smallwood (solid as he is) and Burgess (could come good in a few years playing regularly) would be in the starting 11, better for them and us to free up space for the much younger talent to move up

We get the same posts Everytime a 'youth' player is sold, 'oh I'm getting worried bla bla bla, academy this academy that, never get a chance' etc etc. Way to sentimental, if they are good enough they will play, simple as that. If the guy who sees them everyday decides to move them on then fine, if they aren't good enough then what's the point in playing them/keeping them?

Plus those 'why should we get thorgan hazard when we have like Williams' posts are even more annoying. Because he's 5 times the player that's why.

I never expected Burgess to make the first team in the future, he's already 22 and is still a long way from first choice. I assumed Smallwood would take whitehead's place in the squad next season if we weren't promoted but it's probably best for Richie to be playing regular football at this stage of his career. I remember I read a quote from him when we activated his contract extension which suggested to me that he actually wanted to move on. The most important thing is that the club has given two more players professional careers in football with good teams. Peterborough are possibly the best run club in the football league and at rotherham Smallwood has a chance to prove himself as a solid championship player.