oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

Both are destined to have careers in the football league which is a credit to our academy but we don't want to be in the football league we want to be In the Premiership. I love having home grown players come in to the team but I prefer our team being successful. Even when our academy was at its best and most fruitful very few of our players became huge successes, many of them were given game time only to be moved on to lesser clubs- Josh Walker being a prime example. It's important for us to focus on bringing these players through but not at the expense of success. If the players we develop are sold on for future profit it's just as important as them players being in our squad.

totally agree especially with sell ons in case they do make it

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We get the same posts Everytime a 'youth' player is sold, 'oh I'm getting worried bla bla bla, academy this academy that, never get a chance' etc etc. Way to sentimental, if they are good enough they will play, simple as that. If the guy who sees them everyday decides to move them on then fine, if they aren't good enough then what's the point in playing them/keeping them?

Plus those 'why should we get thorgan hazard when we have like Williams' posts are even more annoying. Because he's 5 times the player that's why.

I guess you disagreed with my post linjo. That's fine, we all have opinions, rightly or wrongly.

The fact of the matter is our club has historically had a marvellous academy, good quality which has equated to revenue for the club when we sell them on. What I worry about is of these players would develop into even better platers and command much higher prices in a year or so.

It's not sentimentality, it's wanting the right price for players we've invested in through thier careers

You can't keep everyone though. You have to let some go when they don't look like breaking through. Burgess and Smallwood are both in their 20's and not close to first team action. It's better to get something than just release them. And apart from graham we never release academy products that go on and create significant careers.

You can't keep everyone though. You have to let some go when they don't look like breaking through. Burgess and Smallwood are both in their 20's and not close to first team action. It's better to get something than just release them. And apart from graham we never release academy products that go on and create significant careers.

Brunt ?

Burgess is22. He needs to play now. Peterbourgh is a great move for him hes proved he can do it. In div 2 now its time to step up. But he was 6th 7th choice centre back here yes he may be good enough in 3-4 yrs time but going out on loan to different teams each yr would be doing him a disservice

There are time when we just have to let go . part of having an academy is creating players that can go out and flourish at other clubs in other leagues. Not all will make it for us. Although im sure wed all like that

Brunt ?

Touchè. Sill, it's only two out of a hell of a lot of players. And graham and brunt were released when we were in the prem where it requires a whole different level of talent to break through.