oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

"4231" but not a rigid one.

Bamford will likely be pushed up closer to Kike more than the formation suggests.

so closer to a 4-2-2-2. Then comes the question of creativity again. Either Tomlin plays more left, which again is a 'square peg round hole' situation, or is left out for Reach.

Again, I do prefer 2 up top but the balance of strikers and crative players needs to be right. There is no use having 2 up there if they are getting zero supply. But then there is no use having plenty supply if your lone striker is being marked out of the game, ala leeds away. I do think Clayton helps as he seems to be much more forward thinking at times than our other cm's but I still think we need a genuine class playmaker, who can close the gap between midfield and attack.

A Juan Mata, Wayne Rooney or Edin Hazard, but of champo level of course

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bamford will likely be pushed up closer to Kike more than the formation suggests.

so closer to a 4-2-2-2. Then comes the question of creativity again. Either Tomlin plays more left, which again is a 'square peg round hole' situation, or is left out for Reach.

Again, I do prefer 2 up top but the balance of strikers and crative players needs to be right. There is no use having 2 up there if they are getting zero supply. But then there is no use having plenty supply if your lone striker is being marked out of the game, ala leeds away. I do think Clayton helps as he seems to be much more forward thinking at times than our other cm's but I still think we need a genuine class playmaker, who can close the gap between midfield and attack.

Isn't that what Tomlin is? The creative gap between midfield and striker? At champo level you don't get much better than Tomlin (unless you have lot's of money that is)

Isn't that what Tomlin is? The creative gap between midfield and striker? At champo level you don't get much better than Tomlin (unless you have lot's of money that is)

Then Bamford doesnt play!! or Tomlin plays out of position.

We cant play them all. :p

You can if your formation has a fluidity to it!

Positions aren't bloody nailed on, the 3 behind the striker need to interchange and support and all that nonsense.

4231 is just the basis.

City play 4-2-2-2 quite often, with Nasri and Silva behind the front 2, one of which dropped a little deeper (Bamford for us, Aguero for them), you don't need out and out wide players for width in that formation, its narrow and the fullbacks go forward for the width. Playing Tomlin and Adomah as a 2 behind Bamford and Kike would work IMO, and its not square pegs in round holes, just because Tomlin is a number 10 doesn't mean he needs to be right in the middle of the pitch, he drifts over towards the left most of the time anyway.

Or you play Bamford as in Inside Left / Wide Supporting Striker, which keeps Tomlin in his best position, allows Bamford to float in from wide and Gorgeous George more room to overlap.

Nail. Head.

Or you play Bamford as in Inside Left / Wide Supporting Striker, which keeps Tomlin in his best position, allows Bamford to float in from wide and Gorgeous George more room to overlap.

Nail. Head.

Thats fine (i prefer to play reach there but opinions are opinions), but i wouldnt expect Bamford to get 17 goals from that position. Sincerely hope I'm wrong but I just cant see it.

As for the fluidity thing, we discussed this after Birmingham. Adomah played right, Reach played left, Tomlin played the number 10 role. No fluidity, it was completely rigid. None of them have interchanged at all in the first 4 games. The only one that looks like he wants to is Nsue who appears to like to come inside now and again

That's because Adomah is pretty much useless anywhere but the right wing, Tomlin is a No. 10 and Reach is pretty much useless anywhere but the left wing :P

Carayol, despite me not being his biggest fan, will suit this formation because he can cut in or go on the outside and he has more about him than Reach and Adomah. Hoping Nsue turns out to be a bit like Carayol too.

If given the choice and wishes came true and all that silly ***, I'd have a few more AM's rather than wingers.

In fairness to Reach, he was quite effective in the No 10 role at Bradford. I'd not like Tomlin moving out wide to accommodate him in that role, though. If Bamford play on the left, then it reckon we'd see more interchange between him and Tomlin.

But Adomah anywhere but RW just isn't worth thinking about.

Re Vossen (of whom we are all sick and tired by now). One thing is for sure in spite of all the smokescreens wafting over from Belgium - Vossen IS leaving Genk in this transfer window. Whether it's to come to us is a different matter. However, as far as I know neither Boro or Vossen or Genk have said that the deal is off. You might expect Boro and Genk to keep quiet on that score but I think Vossen would probably make some sort of comment if it was all off.

Re Vossen (of whom we are all sick and tired by now). One thing is for sure in spite of all the smokescreens wafting over from Belgium - Vossen IS leaving Genk in this transfer window. Whether it's to come to us is a different matter. However, as far as I know neither Boro or Vossen or Genk have said that the deal is off. You might expect Boro and Genk to keep quiet on that score but I think Vossen would probably make some sort of comment if it was all off.

My thoughts exactly! Their potential new signing confirms that he is 100% leaving