oneBoro Forum

Transfer Rumours, Summer 2014 "Didn't we do well!"

That's because Adomah is pretty much useless anywhere but the right wing, Tomlin is a No. 10 and Reach is pretty much useless anywhere but the left wing :P

Carayol, despite me not being his biggest fan, will suit this formation because he can cut in or go on the outside and he has more about him than Reach and Adomah. Hoping Nsue turns out to be a bit like Carayol too.

If given the choice and wishes came true and all that silly ***, I'd have a few more AM's rather than wingers.

This makes more sense if we expect our width to come from Friend/Abella. However as long as we have 'wingers' playing in the 3 behind the striker then I expect it to stay rigid. Personally, I would prefer

(if we are to stick to a 3 behind the striker system) us to forget about a cm and bring in two more am's. However, AK's comments in the EG suggest he wants Reach to play a lot this season so I dont see this fluidity coming to fruition. Which for me means we will be playing 2 of Kike, Bamford, Tomlin, new striker in any given game. I cant see three of them on the pitch at the same time, unless we are chasing a game and sacrificing defensive cm's

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The two teams who play the 4-2-3-1 best in England are Chelsea and ***nal. Now there is a very large quality gab between them and us however the same goes for our opposition (save Burnley :p).

Take Chelsea as an example. The rapid movement of Chelsea's rotating (emphasis on rotating) triumvirate of Oscar, Eden Hazard and Andre Schurrle behind the muscle, hustle and bustle of Diego Costa along with the muscle and efficiency of Matic and the playmaking, string-pulling skill of Fabregas.

We have our solid defensive pairing, we have our marauding wing-backs, we have the ability to control possession in matches and we have our striker in Kike. The area that needs looking at is the middle of the park. Which one of Leadbitter and Clayton is going to tidily break up the opposition attacks and keep the ball moving around? It certainly isn't Leadbitter's game by nature but then is he really the answer to the playmaker role either?

The three behind the striker, as Prowler has been saying, are not stuck to hugging touchlines or fixed positions, they are supposed to constantly move around dragging defenders left right and centre which is how space becomes readily available.

At the moment, Adomah just isn't ready for this kind of role but i think he'll get there. He's improving and is a good player. Tomlin looks to be on the right track as well and i think Nsue will be a great fit once he's had a little bit more time to settle. Reach i can't see being able to adjust, he's 99.9% left foot and definitely more of an out and out winger (who incidental doesn't seem to be able to beat a defender).

Can't see karanka changing he's starting formation. but if we are chasing a game and he want to put an extra forward on with the players we have a 4-4-2 diamond formation would suit us.

As for the fluidity thing, we discussed this after Birmingham. Adomah played right, Reach played left, Tomlin played the number 10 role. No fluidity, it was completely rigid. None of them have interchanged at all in the first 4 games.

That's because Adomah is pretty much useless anywhere but the right wing, Tomlin is a No. 10 and Reach is pretty much useless anywhere but the left wing :P

I could have sworn that our winner last night came as a result of Reach being nowhere near the left wing but maybe I just imagined it?

Reach has actually done ok when played on the right hand side before now and I think he's a canny enough player to play away from the left hand side in the future. He's still quite a raw player though.

I take Prowlers point however, you can only have the kind of fluidity people are talking about if you have players that have the intelligence and a natural feel for it. I'm not sure Adomah is the type of player to do that and yet I remember that goal he scored against Doncaster where he came right across to the left of centre and we saw Reach getting involved down the middle last night leading to a goal. So it is within them but are those one off moments or can they produce that more regularly? Does Karanka actually want them to? I read that whenever Nsue was moving inside last night he was being told to get back out wide so maybe this flexible attacking trio isn't what he's after at all?

David Beckham and Stewart Downing rarely beat a man. I've really warmed to Adam Reach this season. Cracking little player.

I seem to remember Downing doing it quite regularly when he first broke on to the scene then he was out "injured" for awhile and stopped.

Beckham didn't need to beat a man, he could play a pin point, defence splitting ball from the half way line if he felt like it :P

As for the fluidity thing, we discussed this after Birmingham. Adomah played right, Reach played left, Tomlin played the number 10 role. No fluidity, it was completely rigid. None of them have interchanged at all in the first 4 games.

I could have sworn that our winner last night came as a result of Reach being nowhere near the left wing but maybe I just imagined it?

Reach has actually done ok when played on the right hand side before now and I think he's a canny enough player to play away from the left hand side in the future. He's still quite a raw player though.

I take Prowlers point however, you can only have the kind of fluidity people are talking about if you have players that have the intelligence and a natural feel for it. I'm not sure Adomah is the type of player to do that and yet I remember that goal he scored against Doncaster where he came right across to the left of centre and we saw Reach getting involved down the middle last night leading to a goal. So it is within them but are those one off moments or can they produce that more regularly? Does Karanka actually want them to? I read that whenever Nsue was moving inside last night he was being told to get back out wide so maybe this flexible attacking trio isn't what he's after at all?

Fair point, well made. In reality though, it doesnt look to be a flexible system with rotating players behind the striker. I imagine Leadbitter has spent more time in the opposition box than Reach has on the right side of the pitch thus far this season. However, as previously said, I prefer him to play, and play on the left. I would just prefer that we have a little more creativity through the middle.

Maybe I have not seen anything but it does seem as if AV on his twitter etc has gone very quiet, there is hardly a rumble going on about anyone and any where.

For those in the know please enlighten me if I am wrong....thanks

David Beckham and Stewart Downing rarely beat a man. I've really warmed to Adam Reach this season. Cracking little player.

Downing was beating people often in his first couple of seasons. In fact I would say his game deteriorated when his confidence went and he stopped trying to do it as much. Comparing Reach with Beckham is pointless as his delivery is light years ahead of Reach and was from the moment he got into their side.

Fair point, well made. In reality though, it doesnt look to be a flexible system with rotating players behind the striker. I imagine Leadbitter has spent more time in the opposition box than Reach has on the right side of the pitch thus far this season. However, as previously said, I prefer him to play, and play on the left. I would just prefer that we have a little more creativity through the middle.

Oh I agree with you mate, I don't think there's been a great deal of flexibility on show either. I disagree about Reach though, I don't think we'll get the best out of him having him stuck out on the left. I think he is a better footballer than that or potentially a better footballer than that might be the better way of putting it. It's probably irrelevant as he'll be dropped if we get this new left sided player and then he'll have Carayol to contend with as well.